No announcement yet.

Official Lake Whitney And Aquilla 2017-2018 Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not me I'm at work , but Saturday I'll be out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
      Dang Switchback! Your pic of the fish just showed up on my pc.
      Sorry TG should have mad it smaller I guess 😂😁

Comment

Who's gonna be the first in this group to get they're license? Pic, or it didn't happen.
        I thought about going and getting it tomorrow I haven't decided yet. Since I have to wait to get home to do my permit I may just wait and do it all at once

Comment

Yesterday was a big change from what I was seeing through July. In July 80% of the doe I saw had fawns with them. Yesterday I did not see any fawns on the Corp land My mind immediately jumped to the conclusion that fawn mortality may have jumped due to a predator issue. The fawns I have seen in the area (off Corp) still had spots and were clinging close to mama. Will probably be back again late next week to go out again.

Comment

I don't think I've been so excited for a deer season in years I've obviously spent to much time watching hunting videos lol

Comment

I checked the spots I corned last weekend and they were cleaned up.

Comment

Went out scouting today and saw two trucks with 5 or 6 guys going in with shotguns around 10:30, can you hog hunt with shotgun? I'm assuming that's what they were doing.

Comment

Originally posted by buckshot179 View Post
                  Went out scouting today and saw two trucks with 5 or 6 guys going in with shotguns around 10:30, can you hog hunt with shotgun? I'm assuming that's what they were doing.
                  NO! Hogs are archery equipment only.

They could have been squirrel hunting.

Remember, your cell phone can take video.

Comment

NO! Hogs are archery equipment only.

They could have been squirrel hunting.

Remember, your cell phone can take video.
                    Wasn't sure about that. Maybe squirrel as they weren't shy about getting geared up out by the road.

Comment

TG, I beg to differ sir, direct from the online regs.

AUTHORIZED WEAPONS

Deer hunting is restricted to legal archery equipment only. Crossbows are allowed. Shotguns are authorized for hunting other game during legal seasons in areas open for hunting. Anyone hunting with a shotgun may not use, or possess any shot larger than #2. The use of non-toxic USFW approved shot is required for waterfowl hunting. All weapons MUST be unloaded when transported to, from and between hunting sites. Target practice or the "sighting in" of any weapon is strictly prohibited. Rifles (of any caliber, including air rifles and BB guns), handguns, and muzzleloaders are prohibited.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post

AUTHORIZED WEAPONS

Deer hunting is restricted to legal archery equipment only. Crossbows are allowed. Shotguns are authorized for hunting other game during legal seasons in areas open for hunting. Anyone hunting with a shotgun may not use, or possess any shot larger than #2. The use of non-toxic USFW approved shot is required for waterfowl hunting. All weapons MUST be unloaded when transported to, from and between hunting sites. Target practice or the "sighting in" of any weapon is strictly prohibited. Rifles (of any caliber, including air rifles and BB guns), handguns, and muzzleloaders are prohibited.
                        I thought the same thing but didn't have time to look it up. I'm mike's defense though I think they just changed it last year or the year before because when I first started doing core land they were archery only

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post

AUTHORIZED WEAPONS

Sho-nuff, your right . Would have swore it was in there. Oh well. I shot a hog on private property one time with buckshot (Dale Moser's place/lease). I'll never do that again. Used three 3-1/2" 12ga 00 buck. Took three rounds to put it down with an extra full Turkey choke and a 24" barrel. That's 18 pellets per load. First shot was at 35 yards. broke the front left leg and hit neck and ribs. Second was at 10 at the neck. It broke the front right leg, hit neck and ribs. He rolled off into a creek bed squirming try-n to get up, and couldn't get up after that. So I put the last one in the head at 10 yards. Arra dose a better job than buckshot. And I ain't shoot-n no pig with #2, sans rules.
                          Last edited by Texas Grown; 08-19-2017, 06:42 PM.

Comment

After shoot-n that hog, I walked back to camp and got my Winny 30-'06. I was out of shotty shells . Went back, and shot another in the head. Took home 550lbs of hog that weekend. Went and bought a meat band saw the next day too.

Comment

Yeah I ain't shooting them with #2 either. Shot 3 in a matter of a half hour or so a few years back with a bow and it was one shot apiece. Of course that's a back killer at my age after cleaning them

Comment

Originally posted by switchback View Post
                                Yeah I ain't shooting them with #2 either. Shot 3 in a matter of a half hour or so a few years back with a bow and it was one shot apiece. Of course that's a back killer at my age after cleaning them
                                That's a back killer at any age switchback

Comment

Working...
                                X