Crossbows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crossbows

Please don't vilify me, as I'm only posting the latest news.
    The Archery Trade Association took a stance in 2008.
    "The ATA believes that crossbows are viable shooting and hunting equipment that provide opportunity for a segment of America's huntersand recreational shooters,.... The ATA leaves the seasons and regulations governing the use of crossbows for hunting to each wildlife agency. ATA believes that when populations of wildlife, like deer, are overabundant, state agencies should make use of every type of hunting equipment to help control and manage those populations".
    Currently, the ATA board has voted 15-2, to study whether the ATA position statement on crossbows should be revised, due to the fact that crossbow are far outpacing vertical bows in performance, and would be difficult to consider as primitive weapons.
    This is due to the fact that in Wisconsin, where crossbows were granted full inclusion in the archery season in 2013, and data from the 2014 season shows that 33% of deer harvested were with crossbows, and 67% with vertical bows.
    In 2017, crossbows accounted for 51% of deer harvested with crossbows, and 49% with vertical bows.
    With advertising claims of 400 fps and 100 yard accuracy, there is beginning to be a negative vibe as to the "primitive weapons" claim.
    Personally, I've seen a decline in vertical bow and accessory sales in my shop due to crossbows, and a loss of bowhunters instead of the crossbow being a gateway into archery.
    This claim that the crossbow would be a gateway into archery has not been realized, in fact, it has had the complete opposite effect.

Depends on the person. I've known older guys that just love the fact that they're "faster" and barely end up practicing with their vertical bow, simply because it is a lot easier than shooting a vertical bow well . That's a mindset problem. I will however probably use one for my son when he gets old enough until he can draw enough bow himself. Then if I ever get my wife to care enough, she may use a crossbow as on a good day she's 100lbs soaking wet. The problems honestly that it extends the season for someone withnno real drawback or difficulty. With the technology now, they should probably be apart of rifle season if you are over 18, or you have a disability.

Comment

Agree with above .. not much different than rifle. All the same though, I don’t mind the crossbow guys at our place. To each his own.

Comment

While I do not care what other folks hunt with, as long as it's legal, crossbows are simply too "clunky" for me to ever hunt with. When I can no longer use my Synergy, I'll just use a rifle or handgun to hunt with.

Comment

What's a crossbow? Lol.

Comment

I hunt with Crossbow. I cannot use traditional style bow d/y arm injury.

Alot diff than rifle,
            Still string, less yardage, takes longer on follow up shot, requires placement, penetration. Im sure there are a few more. Same as Gun, Common???

Compared to bow,
            Use scope/able to rest on object for shot, no pull back, therefore less movement to be seen, Faster, inherently more accurate at further distances.

This is an interesting issue. Not sure of right answer. I think there is a component of jealousy and fairness. I would use a compound if I could. I have a feeling when compound came out, Traditional guys were complaining about distance/speed differences. People buy faster bows, wanting to get more speed, then complain that crossbows are too fast. I have been around people who act like Im going to get all the animals, cause I have a crossbow and they have a bow. I mean, Its not like the deer seek me out to walk in front of, but when I do find them, it is easier in some ways to get shot.

I think allowing crossbow gets more people into hunting, I dont think they are mowing down deer in huge numbers with crossbows. The study with percentages needs to look at actual numbers, meaning did bow hunter decrease and crossbow hunters increase or did people switch from bow to crossbow. Be curious as to why people chose one over other.

So what is primitive? string/muzzle loader? less distance? harder to use/hunt?, Are deer management numbers being met? Are we trying to get more people into hunting?
            As technology improves, the primitiveness declines. Good debate topic

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post

Alot diff than rifle,
              Still string, less yardage, takes longer on follow up shot, requires placement, penetration. Im sure there are a few more. Same as Gun, Common???

Compared to bow,
              Use scope/able to rest on object for shot, no pull back, therefore less movement to be seen, Faster, inherently more accurate at further distances.

This is an interesting issue. Not sure of right answer. I think there is a component of jealousy and fairness. I would use a compound if I could. I have a feeling when compound came out, Traditional guys were complaining about distance/speed differences. People buy faster bows, wanting to get more speed, then complain that crossbows are too fast. I have been around people who act like Im going to get all the animals, cause I have a crossbow and they have a bow. I mean, Its not like the deer seek me out to walk in front of, but when I do find them, it is easier in some ways to get shot.

I think allowing crossbow gets more people into hunting, I dont think they are mowing down deer in huge numbers with crossbows. The study with percentages needs to look at actual numbers, meaning did bow hunter decrease and crossbow hunters increase or did people switch from bow to crossbow. Be curious as to why people chose one over other.

So what is primitive? string/muzzle loader? less distance? harder to use/hunt?, Are deer management numbers being met? Are we trying to get more people into hunting?
              x2. I enjoy hunting, and this helps me enjoy a little more. Or else i would be sitting in camp .. Nothing wrong with crossbow hunting.

Comment

Alot diff than rifle,

Compared to bow,

At what point do we no longer consider a weapon “primitive”?

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                  When we put "wheels" on the first compound....

Comment

Originally posted by Deathrow Jethro View Post
                    When we put "wheels" on the first compound....
                    X2.

The issue that concerns me is if we see increased harvest rates with crossbows will it result in shortened seasons or reduced limits.

Comment

Xbox’s have their place and time just not in October In my opinion. Unless it is in the hands of a youngster or handicapped person,

Comment

Does it really matter what we hunt with? Just hunt! If it's legal, do it.

Comment

Alot diff than rifle,

Compared to bow,

I think you hit the nail on the head. The comments I see on crossbow threads on another site reek of jealousy. They literally think you are going to kill "their" deer. Of course a lot of them hunt public land, unlike we do in Texas, and they don't want to share their woods with anybody, and for sure not somebody using a "crossgun". I look at it like this. You have a deer tag, or multiple deer tags. What's the difference how you take them ? I hunt with bow, handgun, and rifle. The deer and hogs I kill have never complained about which tool I used. They wind up in my freezer and that is that.

The same argument was used when compound bows started being prevalent in the woods. The compound shooters had it too "easy". They were gonna kill all the deer at 30+ yards before the trad guys ever got a chance. Well, that didn't happen ! The crossbow guys aren't gonna kill them all either, and for that matter, neither are the gun guys.

To answer the "What is primitive" question, in my mind, trad bow, percussion or flintlock blackpowder rifle (using lead balls or conical bullets with iron sights). When you say muzzleloader season, or blackpowder season, then modern inlines are on the table. I personally think older folks are gonna be arguing about this until a couple generations have passed, or.....we keep fighting among ourselves until the antis destroy hunting altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by nothinbutwelves View Post
                            Xbox’s have their place and time just not in October In my opinion. Unless it is in the hands of a youngster or handicapped person,
                            Why do they NOT have a place in October? Does your "vertical" bow not shoot as far? Pigman shoots his at 100 yards, can you?

For the record I am forced to hunt with a crossbow this season (may never pick my vertical bow again either) due to recovering from shoulder surgery. I'm not a "youngster" and not classified as "handicapped" either. So going by your statement, I am just SOL for the upcoming archery season?

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post

I wonder if that question was pondered when the first Long bow was developed.

Hope all is well brother.

Comment

Working...
                              X