No announcement yet.

2018 saltwater fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was July 9th and 10th Off the South Jettie in Galveston. Thought we done pretty good for the first time fishing in the Gulf/Bay with no idea what we were doing. We managed to get our annual bag limit of overs the two days we fished. Beginers Luck I reckon. The group pic I have for the first day won't load (says its too big) and I don't know how to resize it
    Last edited by Garbuster; 07-23-2018, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
      What kind of rig up are you catching those big bulls on?

I was free lining a live Croaker and Carolina rigged dead shimp and squid. No luck on the big boys.
      We were using whole shad for bait with 2' tooth proof leader 10/0 circle hook and an 8 ounce weight on a sinker slide. I was using the rod/reels I use to chase big blue cats

Comment

Originally posted by Garbuster View Post
        We were using whole shad for bait with 2' tooth proof leader 10/0 circle hook and an 8 ounce weight on a sinker slide. I was using the rod/reels I use to chase big blue cats

Pretty impressive for a beginner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
          Nice work J12, your having to much fun.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I still haven’t caught the jack I’m after this year. We put my mom and cousin on two bruisers last trip out but I still haven’t caught mine. Hoping for a 35+ this next trip we make.

Comment

Went the other day here in SE Louisiana. Looking for keepers but caught mostly bulls. All on artificial lures.

Comment

Originally posted by triple_duece View Post
              Went the other day here in SE Louisiana. Looking for keepers but caught mostly bulls. All on artificial lures.

Great catches! But ive got to ask, why are you holding them by their eye socket? Seems like thatd be bad on them aint it?

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                Great catches! But ive got to ask, why are you holding them by their eye socket? Seems like thatd be bad on them aint it?

Wondering the same

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post

That hot grease is worse...

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                    That hot grease is worse...
                    I agree and I hope they did keep them to eat. But being that he said they went looking for keepers and caught bulls, leads me to think they like went back in the water blind lol.

Comment

Only way to hold a green fish. A couple I got under the gill plate but IMO that’s worse than eye sockets. When holding by eye sockets your really just holding the skull and not pressing on the eyes. Ask any commercial fisherman.

Comment

Blue crabs anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by triple_duece View Post
                          All on artificial ]
                          So what did you catch them on? I've caught a lot of reds on artificial but the bulls always on cut bait.

Comment

Anyone fishing this week?

I’ll be fishing east matagorda Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Comment

I need some help. I fish the ulm to landcut a lot. But I'm headed to south padre island in two weeks. I'm looking to find a place I can wade. Any help would be great. I won't have my boat so it will be walk in.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                                So what did you catch them on? I've caught a lot of reds on artificial but the bulls always on cut bait.

H&H beetle spin w a matrix shad.

We were fishing in the marsh by the sound. If your fishing channels, jetties or other deer water w lots off current best to use bait. Pogey or mullet would be my bait of choice. Also can use dead shrimp.

Comment

Working...
                                X