Boat advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
    This is what you need. Just buy it, you can thank me later.

https://youtu.be/QzuZuQdCQG4
    that thing is pretty bad, throw some EFI Live on that bad boy and ride like a bass boat

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
      Where are you planning on duck hunting vs fishing?

If you're going to hit a river, longtail is the way to go.

If you're going to hit the coast and get into some shallow falts, you want a mud-motor and mud boat; has a different hull design to get you through some bad stuff and not stuck.

For me, I'd think a 16' flat with a modified V and a 20 HP tiller handle. 20 HP is fast enough for that rig to get you to most fishing spots. And with a 16' flat, I could easily get a 23 longtail to put on it during duck season. Will be more of a work out than a mud-motor, but will be able to get into the duck holes just the same.

Good luck and post up pics of what you do.
      Mostly would like to hunt and fish in Richland Chambers lake (maybe do some fishing in the two major creeks which are decent size "creeks"). Also would like to get it on the trinity river some. i don't have plans to run it on marshes/costal areas at this point. I have seen some flat bottoms with the "V" front. makes sense they would be the best of both worlds. i figure the key with an outboard is just going to be slowing down when you get the shallow waters and trim up a bit and probably wade in on foot if I'm wanting to hunt any super shallow areas. maybe i should get a jet ski for duck hunting!

thanks for the info. i'll update if i can find the right deal!

Comment

I've ran all kinds of boats and for a multipurpose rig, I would be looking at a timber hull aluminum rig with a tunnel, Run a hydraulic jack plate with an outboard. It'll get skinny and into anywhere you need to if you don't need a mud motor. Better performance as well. I fish a ton when I'm not duck hunting so my ideal rig is an 1860 with a 200 SHO on it

If you're looking to go minimalistic, a 25 horse Yamaha 4 stroke and an Edge 1648 will fit your needs just fine.

Comment

Boats are all about compromise, particularly in the used market. You said your budget is a few thousand, that could mean different things to different folks but I'm assuming you're talking about the 4-6k range.

Your biggest consideration should be what load you anticipate to run the majority of the time ,and make sure you pick a hull size/design and horsepower combination that will get you the performance you desire/need. As a rule of thumb a wider bottom will draft less and a longer overall length will improve your planing performance with a load.

That being said, you still need the right HP to weight ratio for it to work well. You can make almost any hull/motor combination perform with just you in it, but when you throw in a buddy or two and a cooler of drinks/gear performance can drop off quickly.

A 15-20 HP outboard will weigh anywhere from 100-150 lbs depending on your options (electric Tilt/Trim, 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, etc). A mud motor will be around 150-250 with similar considerations as the OB when it comes to "nice to have items", a bare bones mud motor won't have neutral or reverse so if those are a requirement you're looking at hanging over 200 lbs on your transom. (which will require a vastly different hull to get performance equal to that of lighter outboard)

I would echo the suggestions of an outboard with a tunnel, jackplate (electric preferred), and sponsons for overall performance and driving comfort. (25-40 hp min on a 16-17' hull). The only way I'd consider a surface drive or longtail would be if running vegetation or mud was an absolute requirement. Southfork makes a solid tunnel hull as do alumacraft/seaark/weldbilt, although I rarely see them come up for sale used. I've been on the hunt for a similar for a couple of years now and I've almost come to the conclusion that in order to get what I "want" I'd need to have something built which is presently out of the budget.
          Last edited by agtex42; 02-13-2018, 10:33 AM.

Comment

My dad and I have a boat on order right now, so I did a lot of research on this topic. We ordered a 1548 flat bottom with rear float pods, 25hp tiller with electric start. We looked at mod v, but for that small of a boat, there's no real difference on how it'll ride. Any chop is gonna be rough. The flat gets you a slightly larger usable deck on the front and slightly less draft all things being equal. This boat will be used as an all around coastal fishing rig and for hunting on marsh refuges where hp is restricted. As far as mud motors go, unless you are using it in a place where you absolutely need one, an outboard will be an all around better performer. Good luck with your search.

Comment

30hp would be minimum for me. With trim would be even better.. Ran that setup for years. You can get away with less but if you want to fish on rougher days it's really a detriment to be underpowered especially in something that already takes waves like crap.

Comment

For a few thousand bucks your not going to have alot of choices. I've owned several different rigs. Currently still have a 2005 ProDrive that's a beast to maintain. I've changed the oil at least 4-5 times since I've owned it and replaced the battery once....

Outside that turn the key and roll. But if a tiller outboard works where your at and you fish as much as hunt I would go that way. And I'll go against the grain. I don't like smaller 4 strokes. Too heavy.

Comment

Any opinions on outboard makes to avoid?

Great info and appreciate the input from everyone. I had to do some googling on what sponsons and Jack plates were! I'm slowly getting educated!

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                    Any opinions on outboard makes to avoid?

Great info and appreciate the input from everyone. I had to do some googling on what sponsons and Jack plates were! I'm slowly getting educated!
                    force, (Im sure Ill get flamed at least once) mercury and apparently the gen1 e-tecs had some issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      force, (Im sure Ill get flamed at least once) mercury and apparently the gen1 e-tecs had some issues.
                      I'm right there with you, those force engines are complete junk and hard to get replacement parts.

Ideally if you're looking for something refuge legal, my top pick would be a bored over Suzuki DT 25, then a 25 horse 2 stroke Yamaha and then a 2 stroke 25 Merc.

Comment

I'm scouring the craigslist and facebook markets now! A few great deals that popped up and called and they were sold within a day.... so will have to be patient and act quickly at the same time.

If anyone has something they are looking to sell in the neighborhood of $3K, please PM me! 16 Ft + and 25 HP +. Thanks.

Comment

I ran a 16'x48" mod V grizzly with a 25 hp 2 stroke for years. It was a very good knock around general use boat. It floated shallow and was light enough to pole or even paddle a little I needed. It was set up with bass seats and a trolling motor. I used it a lot of the east Texas lakes and the Sabine River (a lot). I've taken it to Port O'Connor and fished pringle lake with it and crossed Espirito Santo bay in a squall. It was a good rig with the little 2 stroke. I switched to a Yamaha 4 stroke 25 hp and the boat just wasn't the same. The motor was too heavy and didn't have enough low end grunt to get up on plane early. Top speed was about the same but the boat dug deep getting up. A lot of load shifting later, ie battery in front and fuel moved forward, the boat was better but still not the same. IDk, pontoons might have helped but adding them to an existing boat is pricey. My opinion is don't get a 16x48 unless you plan to get a 2 stroke. I would plan to get a slightly bigger boat maybe 18x60 for 17x56 that could handle the weight and then around a 40 hp.

Comment

Best boat advice don't buy a boat. Find a friend that has one.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                              Best boat advice don't buy a boat. Find a friend that has one.
                              Best advice yet. That coming from a guy that has always owned at least one boat my whole life. For an outboard check the Tohatsu's out. Very reliable and not expensive. As said earlier two strokes are lighter with better acceleration then the fours. Look at storage space below the deck, there's never enough, for anchors and things. Buying used look the trailer over real good, I've had more trouble with trailers than any boat I've ever owned. Good luck.

Comment

Well I took some advice and ignored others! Settled on an old Craigslist find. Specs:

16 ft alumacraft MV Angler 1982 model.
                                25 HP mercury 2 stroke 1990 model

I only paid $1500 so have some budget to clean it up, maybe Add a jack plate down the road. The trailer is ugly as sin but is solid.

Maybe starting a DIY thread on the improvements.

Comment

Working...
                                X