Paddling the Nueces River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paddling the Nueces River

A friend suggested he wanted to paddlle the Nueces from Barksdale area to gulf. Sounds cool. Prelimary research suggests the river actually goes back into to aquafor after Uvalde. Does anyone have any intel on the feasibility of doing this paddle...even if it has to be done in two parts (and a longer portage around the dry area). I am totally uninformed about this area of Texas and the river, so any info is appreciated. All I know is from pics I have seen, looks beautiful.

Interested

Comment

I have been up there a few times. In the areas I have been, paddling any great distance does not seem possible. This is in the Campwood area. Maybe I was there on a bad rain year?

Comment

That river appears and disappears all over the course of the river. It is beautiful and I fish it a good bit, bit to kayak very far would be almost impossible unless it was a full on flood. There are some decent stretched you could do from below the Nueces Dam at Camp Wood down towards Uvalde, but that would be about it.

Comment

I did South Nueces from Lake Corpus Christi to Nueces Bay many times as a teen.
          Great Gar bow fishing!
          6-8 footers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
            That river appears and disappears all over the course of the river. It is beautiful and I fish it a good bit, bit to kayak very far would be almost impossible unless it was a full on flood. There are some decent stretched you could do from below the Nueces Dam at Camp Wood down towards Uvalde, but that would be about it.
            Thank you. That’s kinda what I was hearing.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtestamentman View Post
              I did South Nueces from Lake Corpus Christi to Nueces Bay many times as a teen.
              Great Gar bow fishing!
              6-8 footers.
              It’s probabally a much different river than above Uvalde?

Comment

Good info, I know the ranch I hunt in Tilden has the river as the South border and unless the water is up you will be getting out and dragging your boat a lot. Very big gators too.
                Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post

Comment

It would be more hiking/carrying a canoe/kayak than paddling one once you hit South Texas nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
                    It would be more hiking/carrying a canoe/kayak than paddling one once you hit South Texas nowadays.
                    This is why we scout before we go! Lol. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
                      Very big gators too.
                      Out

Comment

The Nueces out around Uvalde, is dry or very shallow in many areas most of the time. Then the Nueces river is ****ed up to make Choke Canyon and Mathis Lake/Lake Corpus Christi.

When we were kids, we canoed the Nueces from somewhere around Orange Grove down to Calallen. That was a trip, we were going against the wind all the way down river, felt like we were paddling up river. It was a fun trip, saw lots of critters and gar.

Comment

We kayak it quite a bit(live in uvalde). It got pretty dry this summer but has come back some lately. If we get some spring rains you could make it down to lapryor no problem without getting out much but I haven’t kayaked any further south than that to see what’s it’s like down there. Did a lot of 481 to 83 south trips early last year and it’s a pretty stretch of the river

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by borstar1 View Post
                            We kayak it quite a bit(live in uvalde). It got pretty dry this summer but has come back some lately. If we get some spring rains you could make it down to lapryor no problem without getting out much but I haven’t kayaked any further south than that to see what’s it’s like down there. Did a lot of 481 to 83 south trips early last year and it’s a pretty stretch of the river

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Thank you! Great input.

Comment

the earlier you go in the year the deeper it will be. i take the kids to the river around barksdale most weekends in the summer. there are some good flow in the spring but it slows to a trickle by july

Comment

Working...
                              X