How long to dehydrate jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to dehydrate jerky

I am about to make deer jerky out of the hamburger I have tons of. I have mixed the marinade with the meat and made strips with my Jerky Cannon I just got from Academy. I am using the Open Country Sportsman's Kitchen Jerkymaster Dehydrator from Academy also.

My question is how long do you guys dehydrate you hamburger jerky? I've heard 4 hours to 6 hours since it's hamburger. Any help is appreciated. thanks.

Not sure if its hamburger, not sure I would jerk pork mixed deer meat

Comment

If you added fat to the HB, its gonna take a little longer than normal. I would start out at 6 hours and be prepared to go 8-10

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        If you added fat to the HB, its gonna take a little longer than normal. I would start out at 6 hours and be prepared to go 8-10
        ^^^^This. I have a commercial dehydrator and even it varies from batch to batch. The fat content is a big factor in dehydration time. Best advice I can give is to watch it closely after 4 hours and be prepared to go a lot longer.

Comment

There is no problem using hamburger right? The processor made it so I really don't know what exactly is in it. I don't wanna kill myself by eating it, lol. I know people use beef hamburger to do it so I figured this would be ok.

Comment

Yes it will be fine. But the fat is what will turn rancid if left out too long. Just refrigerate after you get done dehydrating. As far as how long....that will depend on how much fat and water is in the meat, how powerful your dehydrator is, how humid the ambient air is, and probly some other stuff. So Basicly like others have said just check it every once in a while. A lot of times mine takes about 12 hrs.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm praying it turns out good.

Comment

i have the same shooter and dehydrator as you. i'd start checking it at 6-8 hours and take it off when its how you like it.

Comment

Mine seems to always take at least 8 hours. I will check it every couple of hours and wipe off all the excess fat that has beaded up on it with paper towels and flip the pieces over. I have even wiped off each individual strip of jerky. It just seems to make a better finished product when it is done if I do this.

Comment

12 hours was perfect. And yes I gotta wipe off the grease.

Comment

Working...
                    X