Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
    Didnt think about that. We should definitely know ahead of time.

I called Balcones.... the office did not know the answer re the unit number. They sent me to Lonnie's voicemail for a call back. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
      I noticed that too. Gonna call tomorrow to find out but I'm guessing they will probably draw for them at the orientation.

I just got a call returned from Lonnie Castillo (the game warden for Balcones). Once the permits are bought thru the TPWD system, the confirmed list will be passed on to Balcones.

At that time, they will send out follow on emails directly from Balcones. These will give your drawn unit number and details about the orientation.

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
        I just got a call returned from Lonnie Castillo (the game warden for Balcones). Once the permits are bought thru the TPWD system, the confirmed list will be passed on to Balcones.

At that time, they will send out follow on emails directly from Balcones. These will give your drawn unit number and details about the orientation.
        Awesome, thanks for doing the follow up.

Comment

Yes, Orientation is when you get unit. They will ask if anybody is old and slow and they get to pick first. I used my old and slow card to pick our area. Some ares are a REAL climb and if you shot something in the bottom lands and you are parked on the top...you will have your hands full. The roads thru the place utilize both. If it is real cold, choose a valley area. The whole place is typical Hill country Cedar farm. hard to sneak around because of that. If it is calm and warmish, hunt the tops of the ridges. I did not put if for this year cause it is not 65 year old friendly (in my opinion).

Hope this helps
          Last edited by Timemachine; 09-18-2017, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Wife and son will be going 12/01-12/03 and I'll probably go to help scout and clean up after them. Any pointers?

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
              Wife and son will be going 12/01-12/03 and I'll probably go to help scout and clean up after them. Any pointers?
              REALLY REALLY varies per unit.

Some have blinds that you have to use, some are there but only recommended, some have nothing.

4 wheel drive is required for some units (unless you really like to walk) if there is any rain at all. (like unit 7)

Some units are within an AR county, some are not.

You should get an email confirming your unit number. This will come out from Balcones directly before the scouting week.
              Last edited by howabouttheiris; 09-27-2017, 06:09 AM.

Comment

I got drawn for the first rifle weekend in November. First draw hunt to be drawn. Should be fun.

Comment

I got my permit via email. I'll be hunting unit 3. Anyone here hunted that unit in the recent past?

Comment

You should get an email confirming your unit number. This will come out from Balcones directly before the scouting week.
                    Alot of people got their emails with unit assignments this past week. I wasnt one of them.

Comment

REALLY REALLY varies per unit.

Some have blinds that you have to use, some are there but only recommended, some have nothing.

4 wheel drive is required for some units (unless you really like to walk) if there is any rain at all. (like unit 7)

Some units are within an AR county, some are not.

Looks like we're in unit 1, trying to collect as much info as possible now.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                        Looks like we're in unit 1, trying to collect as much info as possible now.
                        I hunted unit 1 2 years ago. Saw deer every sit, but wasn't anything I would want to shoot. I hunted the canyon in the back south west corner. I took my 4 wheeler which made it easy to get back there. The other 2 guys that were on the unit stayed in the front section hunting close to the road. I believe one of them shot a spike

Comment

I drew unit 10. Haven't been able to find anybody who hunted it yet. Plan is to check it out the 4th

Comment

My son drew unit 7 for the youth. Haven't seen mmm ugh on it other than that some of the roads are really steep. Looking forward to the hunt in some new terrain!

Comment

Finally got my email yesterday and I drew unit 3. Apparently I dont need to worry about doing any scouting this year as it's only 100 acres and I'll be hunting in a stand they provide.

Comment

Me and my dad drew unit 8. Has anyone hunting that unit in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X