Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not enough.

Comment

I shoot about twice a week ,but i have a bungee setup i exercise with 5 times a week.

Comment

I don't practice until a few weeks before the season starts and that's mainly to get my muscles back in shape. After that (and my bow is sighted, etc.) I shoot 1 to 3 shots every other day or so from a seated position.....no warming up, etc. and I really focus on that first shot. Thats a true test of how I'll shoot when I'm hunting because I'm usually cold (no warm-up shots), sitting, etc. and I'll get one shot and it's over.

I'll even put my heavier coat on to mimic the situation and to trouble shoot any problems that could arise when shooting with all of the extra clothing on (noise, hang-ups on anything, etc.). I've also tried shooting after doing some cardio just to try to replicate the accelerated heart rate, etc. I also try quick shots and the next session I might try a couple of shots after pulling back and holding at full-draw for an extended period to replicate different situations that could happen when I'm hunting. But I still stick to a total of 3 shots when I do this.

If I have a problem that I think might do with my pin settings, I'll shoot a few more.....but that's rare. I'll pull back my bow numerous times just to keep the muscles in shape and make sure every thing feels right.....most of the time I do this with my eyes closed and just use mental imagery and also to test how well I draw to my anchor point (by opening my eyes and seeing where I'm anchored, etc.)....but I never have an arrow nocked when I do this.

It's just what I do. I used to shoot 20-30 times per day, but I didn't see myself getting any better. In fact, I think it started to cause more problems than helping.

I also agree with practicing judging distance. I practice as much as I can remember. I'll do it while walking down the street, out in the yard, in the store, etc.

Good thread!!!

predatorsniper

Comment

Originally posted by JAVI View Post
          No... they wouldn't understand

Oh please talk down to us Jedi Javi....

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            Oh please talk down to us Jedi Javi....
            not so much down as different... I don't practice shooting, I train to perfect each segment of the process... it just isn't the same as what most of you do... I don't key on the results; they come with the process
            Last edited by Mike Javi Cooper; 07-06-2009, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ground Threat View Post
              i'm one of the very few....i dont practice at all...and i agree once you know your bow your good. I will pull my bow out a few weeks before the season starts and make sure i'm on @ 10-20 and put it up, i then will only shoot it a few times throughout the season to make sure its still on.
              But, "season" is year round GT........

Comment

I usually don't start until about late August. I try to shoot 20-30 arrows at day and shoot 4-5 times a week. I will start shooting at known distance, then will alternate between known and unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by Legacy-TX View Post
                  I wouldn't call what I do practice, I shoot my bow pretty much every, somedays, a couple times per day, simply because I like shooting my bow(s).

Gives me somethingto do when there's nothing on but American Idol, Michael Jackson updates and teleprompter speaches.

And further more:

I firmly believe, we are only good at the things we do often.

Comment

I usually practiced everyday up till this past winter. Family priorities took the fire out of me though.

Comment

Originally posted by LostHawg View Post
                      But, "season" is year round GT........
                      what "season"? And it doesnt matter what "season", the question was how much do you practice?

Comment

I try to shoot twice a week but more for fun than practice. I enjoy shooting my bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Ground Threat View Post
                          what "season"? And it doesnt matter what "season", the question was how much do you practice?
                          HUNTing season... Anyway, YOU'RE the one that mentioned "season". And, you didn't say "what" season either.
                          Last edited by LostHawg; 07-06-2009, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I shoot a recurve so I have to practice AT LEAST a few times a week. My practice may only be 10 arrows or so, but practice none-the-less.

Todd

Comment

Local friend says he shoots 100 arrows a day, 4-5 days a week, mostly in his back yard @ 10-15 yards. He's retired, but with plenty of meat left on the bone, so he has the time, energy and, with hunts planned for NM and CO, he also has the motivation. Not me, gang. Too tedious. I don't start practicing again until August.

Comment

Local friend says he shoots 100 arrows a day, 4-5 days a week, mostly in his back yard @ 10-15 yards. He's retired, but with plenty of meat left on the bone, so he has the time, energy and, with hunts planned for NM and CO, he also has the motivation. Not me, gang. Too tedious. I don't start practicing again until August.

Comment

Working...
                                X