No announcement yet.

Best Hunting Scope for around $1,500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to the Huskemaw store in Cody a few years ago. Nice people, but I really did not care for the reticle on the one I looked thru.

Comment

Swaro z5 3.5-18

Comment

Swarovski can't go wrong

Comment

You cant go wrong with either the swaro or Schmidt.
          With a 300wsm, you have decent long range capabilities. If it’s your intentions to consistently shoot distances of 600 - 800 yards go with a Schmidt.. If you consistently shoot 100-500, with the occasional 500+ yards shot, save your money and go with a swaro.

I’m just a fan of Swarovski as I know what they can do when coupled with the right weapon. At the end of the day, there’s limitations to all set ups. It’s your job to pick the right tool for the job. I just know my 300wsm, and 257 wby mag shoot sub moa at 500 yards.

I do know know I wouldn’t go with anything less than a 5x25 at those distances

Originally posted by RJK70 View Post
          300 wsm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

your range is pretty big.....

top end of your range....leupold VX-6HD

low end, i shot a Burris Veracity not long ago and it had some surprisingly nice features for a $1000 scope, but it clearly isn't the same as the Leupold.....

If you find the features you want, just take one of each out and see if the Leupold is worth twice as much as the Burris to you.

Comment

I can get you a Z5 Swarovski with either their ballistic turret or a custom one. Best glass hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
                Schmidt & Bender........
                This...Schmidt and Bender is the leader.
                Nightforce 2nd

Comment

Different topic than the original thread, but since OP mentioned wanting to zero in at 100 and go from there, thought this website might be of interest. Basically you zero in at somewhere between 23-27 yards depending on your specific setup and related units to the formula, but it leaves you in the vitals holding on the animal out to almost 300yds, as opposed to having to guess 9"+ of drop at 300yds if sighted in at 150yds.

Ballistic chart:

Comment

Originally posted by DimmitCo View Post
                    This...Schmidt and Bender is the leader.

Nightforce 2nd

In my experience Nightforce glass is nowhere near the leader in that price range; pretty far back actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I think you’re asking for is somewhat of a pink elephant. Tactical scopes are made to be dialed and thus have more robust, repeatable mechanics and larger tubes that make them heavy. Hunting scopes are lighter but made to be set and left alone, with higher quality glass for low light. To get both in the same package isn’t an easy ask. But based on your criteria I’d say Swarovski z6 with their ballistic turret would best fit the bill for weight/glass/repeatability in your price range.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        My first response for a hunting scope in that price range is typically Swarovski but you mentioned dialing so that changes my answer. Swaro’s hunting scopes aren’t made for that.

I’ve always felt Nightforce glass was inferior especially given the price point.

The Leupold VX6HD is probably going to be your best bet. Get it with the ZL2 turrets and a good reticle. Zeiss high end glass is good but their turrets typically aren’t great.

Have you spent time behind a NF ATACR?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          In my experience Nightforce glass is nowhere near the leader in that price range; pretty far back actually.

How come nobody ever talks about Minox on this site or March scopes? Khales makes a fine scope also and tangent theta is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                            Have you spent time behind a NF ATACR?

Yes but that’s not a $1500 scope. Of course neither is a S&B but that didn’t keep people from suggesting it either. Also given the weight I know I wouldn’t want to carry one around on a hunting rifle either.

Last edited by Mike D; 12-05-2017, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                              How come nobody ever talks about Minox on this site or March scopes? Khales makes a fine scope also and tangent theta is ok.

I’ve never spent any time behind either of those so I can’t offer any advice but are they in the OP’s listed price range?

Comment

I have a Minox that I bought thru Camera Land. Its a ZX5 3-15, I bought it after reading some reviews about it. My understanding of this particular model is the lens are made in Germany and the scope is assembled in the U.S. You may want to research that as the info came from Camera Land. The first one I got had a turret issue and I returned it, Minox sent me a new one in two weeks. The new one I mounted on a 300 WinMag, and it seems to be ok. The clicks are somewhat soft, but it does track good. I have also been told that Leica owned Minox at one time and the glass is made by Schott. Someone smarter than me should do more research on Minox. Now, I can also say I looked thru some Minox binos and a pair of Nikon Monarchs were about the same so.....

I never owned a FFP scope but my taxidermist swears on them, so this past spring I bought a Burris Veracity because of the price point. I mounted it on a Weatherby 257. I paid 650.00 for it and for the money its not a bad choice, but I aint interested in owning any more FFP scopes. Optics on it were about the same as most scopes under 1000.00.

I think the OP can find him a VX6 for under 1500.00 and spend the rest on some decent rings and mounts.

Comment

Working...
                                X