Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Calling Knife Makers*

So my son and I LOVE Forged in Fire.

Its the only grown up show besides Gold Rush that he watches with me.

Last night we were catching up on the latest episode and he said, Dad, I want to make a knife with you.

Ok, I have a very big shop so room isn't an issue.

What are some of the very basic things I could pick up just to get started with him just to make some very simple blades?

I understand how a blade is made but what are the tools (cheap) that I can get by with. Home made forge idea?

Good place to find a used anvil?

I have some old Rasps at the G-parents place I could pick up.

Thanks all!!

No help here but I love that show!

Comment

Look up DIY waste oil forge.
      Get a good belt grinder or
      Get a good angle grinder.

Good luck on the anvil.

YouTube is your friend!

Comment

My advice would be try a few using stock removal first. All you need are files, maybe a saw, drill, sandpaper and either a bag of charcoal or send it to harden. You reimburse me for the steel and shipping I'll send you a billet of 1084. I'll even include scales and pins.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
          My advice would be try a few using stock removal first. All you need are files, maybe a saw, drill, sandpaper and either a bag of charcoal or send it to harden. You reimburse me for the steel and shipping I'll send you a billet of 1084. I'll even include scales and pins.
          Good advice. A good starter grinder is the Craftsman 2x42 from Sears. Files and sandpaper will get you a long way. 1084 is the steel to start with, available from www.njsteelbaron.com

Another thing to do is join the Texas Knifemakers' Guild facebook group. We host knifemaking events around the state, and young ones are welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
            Awesome offer right there!!

I will PM you in a bit

Comment

Pm responded.

Comment

There ya go! Looks like you'll be having a great time together soon. A fellow knife maker, Allen Newberry will be on the show this week, check him out!

Comment

I'll be shipping a knife and sheaths Monday to new owners, I'll put an extra Priority box in the mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                    There ya go! Looks like you'll be having a great time together soon. A fellow knife maker, Allen Newberry will be on the show this week, check him out!
                    Sweet, we will root for him!!

*spoiler*
                    My name is Jared so my son was stoked and rooting for the Jared that just won this weeks. He did a little dance when he won. It was well deserved, he knocked that crazy freakin thing out of the park.

Comment

You should check out _The $50 knife shop_ by Wayne Goddard.

Comment

Here's a thread about an inexpensive two brick forge.

Comment

You can use a $40 1" X 30" belt sander from Harbor Freight. Get some 40 grit belts for doing the rough grind as well as a little profiling. You can sometimes find a decent bench top drill press at a pawn shop to drill holes in the tang. For drill bits, all I use is 1/8", , 3/32", and 1/4". You can use copper wire for pins, but some hardware stores and hobby shops have brass rods.

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                            You can use a $40 1" X 30" belt sander from Harbor Freight. Get some 40 grit belts for doing the rough grind as well as a little profiling. You can sometimes find a decent bench top drill press at a pawn shop to drill holes in the tang. For drill bits, all I use is 1/8", , 3/32", and 1/4". You can use copper wire for pins, but some hardware stores and hobby shops have brass rods.
                            Good call on the drills. Lowe's carries 3 ft rods of 1/8 and 3/16 brass.

FWIW, I went to a mastersmith's shop one time and he had five or six harbor freight drill presses. You don't need five of them, of course, but one might be a good idea.

Comment

3/16" is what I meant to say; not 3/32".

Comment

Working...
                              X