No announcement yet.

Carry weapon suggestions for a TINY female

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cannot recommend highly enough the Ruger LC9s. The trigger is really nice IMO, and extra 7 rd mags are easy to carry. And, if she likes how it handles and fires, they make em in all kinds of pretty colors.

Comment

I’m a staff pastor at a church NW of Houston. I set up a small pistol range behind the church with AR 500 steel targets and I have 8-9 pistols she can try. Maybe Outbreaker can meet up too and we might find a gun that fits her. Just PM me and let me know.

Comment

Ruger LCP

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
          Ruger LCP
          x2, I love my LCP. I have small hands and it fits me well. I don't have any problems racking the slide or loading the mag. (Someone earlier said most women do not have the strength or the proper technique to operate the slide...I've never had trouble operating any slide. It doesn't take much strength, just a little practice!)
          I like the Sig P238. It's definitely on the want list. When I got my LTC, I bought an XDS for concealed carry. Even though I shoot it well, it is too big for on body carry so I bought a LCP and it's perfect.

I would not recommend learning how to shoot on a micro handgun, though.

Comment

Carry weapon suggestions for a TINY female

Originally posted by Sika View Post
            x2, I love my LCP. I have small hands and it fits me well. I don't have any problems racking the slide or loading the mag. (Someone earlier said most women do not have the strength or the proper technique to operate the slide...I've never had trouble operating any slide. It doesn't take much strength, just a little practice!)
            I like the Sig P238. It's definitely on the want list. When I got my LTC, I bought an XDS for concealed carry. Even though I shoot it well, it is too big for on body carry so I bought a LCP and it's perfect.

I would not recommend learning how to shoot on a micro handgun, though.

I’m the one that said most ladies have trouble operating the slide on the slides on the micro 380 pistols and I stand by that statement. I get to assist lots of women is picking out a pistol. Most that I deal with cannot operate the slide on the LCP, Kahr, bodyguard and some even the Glock 42. Most of the time it’s the technique they are using (mainly trying to pull it back with 2 fingers extended away from their body). I try to teach them how to grip it over the top and hold it in close to their body and then it pinches the crap out of their hand when they let the slide back down if they do manage to get it back. And the vast majority cannot get it to release from being locked back after inserting a fresh mag or after removing an empty mag.

They can usually operate the slide on the SIG 380 but again no way I would recommend that for a novice shooter male or female.

You are more experienced with guns so I don’t doubt that you are more adept at manipulating one of the smaller 380 pistols.

In the case here his wife has little to zero experience with guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

let her test drive some to see what feels good to her

Comment

Bersa 380 Just in case she shoots it once and never look at it again

Comment

I see that there are tons of different opinions on what she should like and now according to this thread has a dozen or more handguns that she may need. All are valid opinions as they are opinions. I have shot almost every handgun mentioned and all have some good qualities.

So here is my opinion.....

In this particular thread it was stressed in the title that she is tiny. Forget her size period except in concealment.

I have taken small women to the range quite a few times and usually have guns from micro .380’s to full size 9mm and .40S&W and many guns in between. I could care less what they like and don’t try to convince them of what I or my wife carry.

The only point I want to make is that the smaller guns for that small person are not always the best option. Give them a SW 5 shot .38 Spl and the recoil is somewhat stunning to some of them. I have had these little women want a small handgun, equating small with “easy”. Then they shoot that .380 LCP and don’t like the results. Then they try a full size or medium size even more powerful gun like a compact 9mm like a Glock 26 size or even a single stack compact like a Shield and find that it is more manageable.

Of course there are small women that can take that tiny revolver with fairly stout recoil and bang away with the best of them.

Just don’t get in the mindset that small in stature means someone needs a small gun. Concealment if that is how she is going to carry might open up better options than micro guns. If a small woman can carry that Glock 26, great. It might just be a bit less snappy than the tiny Goick 42 .380.

If possible letting them shoot several different styles and sizes lets them sometimes quickly point out what is best for them. To heck with us that think we know how to shoot and what is “best”

Comment

LCR in 22 magnum. If she is going to carry in a purse, it either needs to be a Concealed Carry purse, or she needs to have a kydex trigger holster with a tether anchored to her purse so the gun cannot misfire in her purse. With tbe tether anchored, when she has to draw it, the tether will pop free.

Comment

I was a beginner once.

I learned with a Springfield XD 9mm. It fit my hands well and the recoil was manageable. Luckily, I had a couple of instructors that were patient and understood my needs as a woman shooter. Doesn't matter the shooter or weapon, a good teacher is key.

A lot of people (men and women) say a revolver is more "idiot proof" than a semi auto but most women are not idiots...and are capable of learning to load and run a semi auto in no time, if given the chance.

If a small gun is needed for concealment, it's all about finding a balance between comfort, gun size and caliber.

If she will be carrying in a bag, it might seem like size is not an important factor but I can tell you from personal exerience, carrying a heavy gun in a bag is tiresome. If I carry off body, I do so in a crossbody type bag and a heavy gun will start to hurt my shoulder after a long day. Just something to think about.

Comment

Fyi, I have one of these bags and I love it.
                        Shop Handcrafted Concealed Carry Purses by GCCginascraftcorner located in Missouri, United States.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                          Can't show her that. All else will go out the window because she can get this with purple grips

My daughter bought this gun last month and likes it. Only put about 50 rounds through so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                            Fyi, I have one of these bags and I love it.
                            https://www.etsy.com/shop/GCCginascr...hopheader-name
                            Hey thanks for the suggestions, Sika. All good things to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post
                              I’m a staff pastor at a church NW of Houston. I set up a small pistol range behind the church with AR 500 steel targets and I have 8-9 pistols she can try. Maybe Outbreaker can meet up too and we might find a gun that fits her. Just PM me and let me know.
                              PM sent. Thanks again for the offer. We'll take you up on that in the near future.

-Tim

Comment

Ruger LCR is hard to beat if you want a small revolver. The trigger pull is WAY better than other double action snubbys I've shot. I've got one in 38 I'd get rid of. Shoot me a PM if interested. For small auto's that won't break the bank my suggestion would be the Ruger LC9s. Great trigger and shooters. I'd personally shy away from the pocket 380's for many reasons. Check out Spring Guns and Ammo. You can rent several different handguns and that will help her decide on what she likes and can handle before you buy.

Comment

Working...
                                X