Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoveBlaster View Post
    Not really, buy the 10 pack at Home Depot and go to town

So I have a huge smoker too, it's a 500 gallon as well but it's a fatter shorter version of yours. I wanted to throw out some advice as far as the temp gauges are concerned. I would definitely have one on each door. The temp by the firebox vs the other end could vary greatly. Which could be a good thing for you, especially if you're cooking multiple cuts of meat, or veggies. With my smoker being a single door I have only 2 gauges and the door is 4' long. The temp by the firebox is always 50-60 degrees warmer than the other. With your box being 8-10 feet away from the far door you may just want to know what that temp is. Plus if you're only cooking one thing and you're having trouble regulating the heat, you could put the food closer or further away from the firebox depending on desired heat.

Another thing you will want to think about is possible counter-weights for the doors, or a possible way to prop the doors open. That's just something that was wrong with my last smoker. I mean who has enough hands to hold the door, hold the tray with food, and put food on or take it off.

I have a ton of recipes and tips for smoking. If you ever need anything just let me know.

You have a piece of art on your hands! Keep up the great work!

Comment

Thanks, I plan on putting another temp gauge on the middle door soon, just need to order one off ebay. Ive burned it 3 times for a total of about 30 hours (10 hours each burn from start to finish) and been quite impressed. With little work I can keep a 50 degree variance from the door closest to the fire to the last door. I plan on a few small changes to the "firebox" hoping I can get that down to a 25 degree difference.

For the doors to stay open I am going to weld a piece of sucker rod to the hinges the length of the doors. I will attach it to the part of the hinge attached to the smoker and it will be a Stop of sorts. Kinda hard to explain

Comment

Any updates on this beast???

Comment

No photos

Comment

Tuned in, if updates come back.

Comment

Let's see some up to date pictures of this bad boy!!!

Comment

I've got some pics I need to upload, gimme a sec as I'm technically challenged

Comment

When you're done can I come by and smoke a small chicken and a full rack of ribs? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ivanite View Post
                    Looking good.... I vote No paint... You can always go back and paint it later if you want.
                    Agreed! I'm liking the "Rat Rod" look of that thing. The lines are perfect

Great work!

Comment

SO SICK, my man!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X