No announcement yet.

Pink Foam+Fiberglass=Round Bowblind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did get much done on the weekend, you really can't tell anything with laying the fiberglass anyway. But there was a few folk asking about assembly.

Made 1 mistake by using PL300 glue to join the sheets. On my test joint I just used gorilla glue (in the caulking tube) it works very well. I ran out of it (in goes fast) and home depot did not have any so I bought the PL300 which is for foam. It did not set even after 24 hours. That is why I used the red packing tape. I would not do that again. Always use a test piece before you try this to see how well it works.

In this pic it show how they are joined. Can't think of the name of the joint but all I did was routed a grove o both pieces and uses a piece of wood to join them. I guess this don't matter much once the fiberglass is layed since that will be what holds everything together but it will make it easier to assemble.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

What are you planning to fill any gaps with prior to glassing? On those seams even if there is a tiny gap that equals air under your cloth which will be a bad thing and cause delamination when that blind hits the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Big gaps I am using great stuff foam. Small seems just mixing some saw dust with the epoxy and using it as a filler.

Comment

Pink Foam+Fiberglass=Round Bowblind

Originally posted by Bowtech32 View Post
          Big gaps I am using great stuff foam. Small seems just mixing some saw dust with the epoxy and using it as a filler.

Good deal. Since you probably are not concerned with weight, talc is cheap and makes a good thickening agent for epoxy as well. Takes a bunch of it though and unfortunately it sags if you try to use it vertically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by TexaRican; 06-26-2017, 11:02 AM.

Comment

For anyone that has layed fiberglass, it is not that hard but way time consuming. A lot more time than I expected. Here is a little more I did over a larger gap. I used the loctite version of great stuff to fill the gap first. Hopefully I will have the first coat on in a day or 2. It takes me a while because only get 30 min here and there to work on it.

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Life is getting in the way, once I get the door cut I will post an update. Have a little left to do on laying glass on the outside

Comment

I'm in

Comment

Cool! Following.

Comment

in.

Comment

In

Comment

Can you list what you purchased and where you purchased? Curious to see the cost for all of this

Comment

Originally posted by alien77721 View Post
                            Can you list what you purchased and where you purchased? Curious to see the cost for all of this
                            Pink foam from Home Depot
                            Epoxy resin, 3 pound pour foam and 6oz Fiberglas clothe from US composites

Going to have $700 into this before I finish, but I will have way too much clothe left over.

Sorry I have not worked on this much lately, but have been really busy with family stuff

Comment

Very cool idea. Tuned in to see how it holds up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Have not had a chance to work on it for a while, this is turning out to be NEXT year's blind. I worked on it a bit the other day, cut the door and started on the roof. I need to order more foam, needed about twice the amount I thought I would. The yellow foam is really strong... Here is some pics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X