Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I crazy for not canceling baseball practice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
    Hear Hear !! It's incredible now days. Too hot, Little Johnny can't practice, too cold, no little Johnny, too windy, no little Johnny. Little Johnny is 250lbs but a 243 is too much, where can I find some reduced recoil loads. I mean, todays "Men" have to ask the internet when Johnny can hold a gun, when he can set in a stand by himself, etc...
    Can you imagine when this group of kids, have kids? We straight f $#%@d bro!!
    What grown man still says "Bro"?

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
      They're 7-8 year olds. Hard *** pee wee coaches. 😂
      At what age do you start teaching kids about responsibility, teamwork, dedication, expectations, etc.? I don't think 7-8 is too young. I've been coaching girls for 20 years. In softball for the first 10 and basketball for the last 13. The more expectations you place on them, the more they expect of themselves, regardless of age. When parents actually buy in, instead of undermining, that's when you've made some progress. Kids are tougher than most adults give them credit for.

Comment

Bunch of grumpy hard *** old men around here today. Guess my decision was correct to cancel as the league closed the fields after the sleet and soft hail came through. Don't worry, I've got practice rescheduled for Tuesday. I'm even getting a Navy Seal buddy to come break these 7-8 year olds down so we can build them into the warriors I need them to be.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
          At what age do you start teaching kids about responsibility, teamwork, dedication, expectations, etc.? I don't think 7-8 is too young. I've been coaching girls for 20 years. In softball for the first 10 and basketball for the last 13. The more expectations you place on them, the more they expect of themselves, regardless of age. When parents actually buy in, instead of undermining, that's when you've made some progress. Kids are tougher than most adults give them credit for.
          At that age 7-8 make it fun. I don't know the temp when practice started but practicing stand around (baseball) is not fun. Too much down time to get cold. If they don't think it's fun they won't come back next year and play. Older kids I get it. You coach for a living?

Comment

One **** sure doesn't push their daughters towards basketball so he can be comfortable in a gym like a **** wussie.. and then preach to others about dedication...

Comment

At that age 7-8 make it fun. I don't know the temp when practice started but practicing stand around (baseball) is not fun. Too much down time to get cold. If they don't think it's fun they won't come back next year and play. Older kids I get it. You coach for a living?
              I certainly see what you're saying, but setting expectations doesn't necessarily take the fun out of it. And no sir, I'm strictly a volunteer coach. Paid coaches are the ones that I feel sorry for. They're the ones that inherit the pampered kids that many volunteer coaches and many parents shelter to a fault. Again, I don't want kids to get frostbite, but being uncomfortable for one practice is a great teaching tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                One **** sure doesn't push their daughters towards basketball so he can be comfortable in a gym like a **** wussie.. and then preach to others about dedication...

Yes they do....turns out I'm the SMART one.

Comment

yes they do....turns out i'm a wussy.:d:d:d
                  fify

Comment

I certainly see what you're saying, but setting expectations doesn't necessarily take the fun out of it. And no sir, I'm strictly a volunteer coach. Paid coaches are the ones that I feel sorry for. They're the ones that inherit the pampered kids that many volunteer coaches and many parents shelter to a fault. Again, I don't want kids to get frostbite, but being uncomfortable for one practice is a great teaching tool.
                    Those guys that coach for a living want everyone to play. Those that are soft will weed themselves out soon enough. They don't need the pee wee coaches to do it for them.

Comment

I agree with most of that but girls mature a lot faster than boys do and are a lot more dedicated at a younger age than boys are.

Comment

Those guys that coach for a living want everyone to play. Those that are soft will weed themselves out soon enough. They don't need the pee wee coaches to do it for them.
                        I agree with that. I guess my point was that it's a shame that setting expectations for kids playing a team sport weeds out anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
                          Bunch of grumpy hard *** old men around here today. Guess my decision was correct to cancel as the league closed the fields after the sleet and soft hail came through. Don't worry, I've got practice rescheduled for Tuesday. I'm even getting a Navy Seal buddy to come break these 7-8 year olds down so we can build them into the warriors I need them to be.
                          Sleet and hail are very different conditions from your original post which I assume is what everyone is responding to. Sleet and hail, yes cancel the practice, 43 and a very mild wind, no dont cancel it. But that opinion and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks, or are we all boycotting them?

Comment

I agree with that. I guess my point was that it's a shame that setting expectations for kids playing a team sport weeds out anyone.
                            I don't think you are getting what I'm saying, practicing baseball in cold weather sucks. Especially for 7-8 year olds that can't name all nine positions. A game is different. There's a reason why MLB goes to warmer climates for spring training.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                              Sleet and hail are very different conditions from your original post which I assume is what everyone is responding to. Sleet and hail, yes cancel the practice, 43 and a very mild wind, no dont cancel it. But that opinion and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks, or are we all boycotting them?
                              Agreed. My stance certainly wasn't based on sleet and hail.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                                Nothing like mentioning Starbucks in a 'manly' discussion

Comment

Working...
                                X