I m-m-m-missed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I m-m-m-missed

Fessing up. First shot I’ve had at a deer this year - nice doe at 15 yards. She was a little jinky so I waited until I thought she’d settled down. I aimed low enough - or so I thought - and let fly. She did the ninja thing and the arrow glanced off her back. I thought it was a complete miss but when I found the arrow there was a slight tuft of hair on the broadhead. No smell no blood. I would have had to aim 6” below her to catch lung. They fast, ain’t they?

Yes they are.

Comment

I skipped an arrow off a pig's back earlier this year, but I'm pretty sure I peeked

Comment

Pretty amazing how quick thier reflexes are.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          I skipped an arrow off a pig's back earlier this year, but I'm pretty sure I peeked
          Guilty of this more then once, myself.

Comment

What is amazing is at 15 yds and at 300 fps, the arrow reaches the deer in 0.15 seconds! Thats not figuring the delay of 0.04 fps due to the speed of sound! So in just over a 10th of a second, that deer has heard the sound, processed it, and reacted by dipping enough to dodge your arrow! Absolutely amazing!

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

Comment

Study has been cited on here before that a whitetail deer can: drop 8 inches, turn 90 degrees, and be running full speed in .21 seconds. (That's 21 one-hundredths of a second)!

Edit: Just Googled time for an "eye blink". Said to be 300 to 400 milliseconds, with 1000 milliseconds being one second. In other words, a blink of an eye occurs in about one third of a second. The time referenced for whitetail deer movement of .21 seconds is about a fifth of a second and considerably faster than a blink of an eye!
              Last edited by tradtiger; 12-02-2017, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                Study has been cited on here before that a whitetail deer can: drop 8 inches, turn 90 degrees, and be running full speed in .21 seconds. (That's 21 one-hundredths of a second)!

Edit: Just Googled time for an "eye blink". Said to be 300 to 400 milliseconds, with 1000 milliseconds being one second. In other words, a blink of an eye occurs in about one third of a second. The time referenced for whitetail deer movement of .21 seconds is about a fifth of a second and considerably faster than a blink of an eye!

Mind= blown!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fishingsetx View Post
                  What is amazing is at 15 yds and at 300 fps, the arrow reaches the deer in 0.15 seconds! Thats not figuring the delay of 0.04 fps due to the speed of sound! So in just over a 10th of a second, that deer has heard the sound, processed it, and reacted by dipping enough to dodge your arrow! Absolutely amazing!

Yeah and since the arrows out my recurve are only moving at 180 fps it is even more important to only shoot at relaxed deer

Comment

a deer's reaction time is amazing!! Was it a mature doe that was just being extra vigilant at a feeder??

Best of luck letting the air out of one today...

Comment

Well since are sharing. I once missed a doe at 8 yards, I was on the ground using a hickory selfbow. How do you miss at 8 yards? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                        Yeah and since the arrows out my recurve are only moving at 180 fps it is even more important to only shoot at relaxed deer
                        The thing I didnt figure in was the time to accelerate the arrow from 0 to top speed. This is where traditional bows have a pretty big advantage over compound. I cant seem to find the article again, but if I remember right, it was somewhere around .03 seconds from release to the arrow clearing the bow on compound and about half that for traditional.

Comment

Pile corn in a bush.they won't hear it coming when the ears are rubbing around in the branches

Comment

D-d-d-d-dangit! Super fast!

I saw your morning post yesterday Jerp. I was really hoping youd connect.

Good luck.

Comment

Done that once and the doe was dumb enough to come back. She got the smack down put on her that time. Still cost me a dang arrow though.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                              X