Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope you get him today!!!

Comment

No luck this evening. Seen a bunch of does, honestly, the most I believe I've ever seen in one set at this place. Right at last light, I thought my buck was headed in, but ended up being a young 10. It was getting late and I didn't want to spook him by getting out so just set and waited. Setting there, I heard a the leaves rustling and looked below me and spotted a bobcat. He walked right up to the buck and raised his back up as though he was hissing at him! The buck just pinned his ears and lowered his head and the cat took off with the buck following!
      That was definitely a first for me!

My wind is good till about 9 in the morning before it starts switching so hopefully I can get a crack at him. If not, it'll be a waiting game till Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck brother! I'm playing chess with the winds myself. Got enough stands to cover every direction... But... Not a buck I'm after at every spot! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by spidermonkey View Post
          Good luck brother! I'm playing chess with the winds myself. Got enough stands to cover every direction... But... Not a buck I'm after at every spot! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

I understand sir. I'm fortunate this year to have several mature bucks on cam and can swamp around to different spots, but the two I've been chasing are have got under my skin and it's tough to shy away from there core areas and not hunt them. Just gotta be sure everything is right!!

Not much luck this morning, seen very few deer and very little movement all the way around. Other guys hunting today didn't see anything either. Hoping with the wind shifts and this little front moving in it will have them on there feet this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by MedicineMan7 View Post
            Thanks everyone. I'm back in the same stand I shot the doe from yesterday this morning hoping for a crack at my wide buck. Pulled my camera card when I got here an checked it a bit ago to find that he'd been thru a few times yesterday evening.
            Low and behold I looked back behind me and there the ghost that's haunted me for the last 369 days was across a creek working his way down it without a care in the world. He got parallel to me and stopped to look my way and I figured it was fixing to happen as he was right next to the main crossing. Instead, he turned and headed on down the trail.

I've been very blessed to have the opportunity to shoot some amazing critters and a few big deer, but that buck was honestly the prettiest buck over ever laid eyes on in the woods. I tried snapping some pics thru my binos but there was just too much brush and he was moving. I will be back here tonight!

Good luck sir...he’s a heck of a deer!

Comment

Back in the stand for one last go of it. Have to go back to work tomorrow unfortunately so this is for all the marbles!! Supposed to be cloudy and overcast all day with a slight chance of some precipitation so plan on being in the stand nearly all day aside from maybe a quick lunch break.

Been slow so far, but did see a shooter chasing a doe a lil ways out earlier. It's that time of year when one can run a doe by at anytime so hopefully I'll get lucky.

Comment

Fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Slow morning has transferred to a slower evening so far. Really hoping for some luck now. Less then 2 hours to go.

Comment

Well, the evening ended only seeing a couple does. Rifle season opens here this weekend and I'll most likely be tagging along with the wife trying to put her on a buck. Will keep y'all posted

Comment

On the eve of the eve of the Oklahoma rifle season opener, I've been running around the house like a madman scrambling to gather everything up to head east after work to my father in laws yearly deer camp to be the head cook, deer skinner, and guide/support for my wife. Last year she killed her best buck ever with me sitting right next to her and it was pretty awesome and hopefully she can do it again.
                      I honestly had no intentions of hunting until midweek just before thanksgiving when I head out for a rifle hunt I drew out for, but I got a kink in my plans.

^^^^^^^Here's the kink^^^^^

I've got a pretty good little resident herd of does and a half dozen or so bucks that frequent my place right here at my house. We have 27 acres with the land being 95% open CRP type grass with one small strip of trees that run across it. I planted a small food plot last year for the deer and increased it in size by about 5 times (prolly have 2-3 acres total planted) and have had lots more activity showing up this season, just nothing to write home about until this week. I'd heard there was a decent buck in the area but my sources weren't the greatest. Low and behold, this fella pops up on cam a few nights ago and has become a new resident the last several nights and mornings. I threw up a blind a couple nights ago and it didn't slow any of the deer down at all, including the new guy. My wife tried for him this evening but he didn't show, and with rifle season coming in and knowing the neighbors are after him, I texted the boss man and told him I was going to be a bit late for work in the morning because I had a deer to kill! He's been out in shooting light the last two mornings so hopefully all fingers and toes crossed, tomorrow morning will make it 3 in a row and I can get an arrow stuck in him!
                      I was really really hoping my wife could get on him, but she told me I needed to try and get him before rifle if possible since we weren't going to be here the next few days. We shall see how it goes!

Comment

Oh, and my apologies for the crappy pics. I don't have any others on my phone right now. Hopefully I'll get some much better ones in the morning!

Comment

Go get him!

Comment

Well, he was a no show. Weather was sub-par for sure (66degrees and 20 mph winds) which may have had them laid up this morning. Last pics on cam were last night at 3:45. Left him with all the food he can handle the next couple days and hopefully he don't get whacked while we are gone the next couple days. Will keep y'all posted

Comment

A lot went down this past weekend. Oklahoma rifle season opened up on Saturday, so my little family loaded up and headed to eastern OK to my wife's families place to go to there annual deer camp. I was basically slated to be the camp cook and guide as my wife would be hunting while my mother in law took care of our little guy for a bit. Saturday the weather was far, far from good for hunting with constant winds blowing 25+, with gusts getting much higher most of the day. We managed to see a few does and a spike on our morning and evening sits, but my wife was wanting to shoot something bigger so she passed.
                              Early that morning though, I got a text from my stepdad who was hunting the place were the big wide buck I'd been chasing resided. All the message said was "I think your wide buck has 9 lives". Finally I got it out of him that the buck had appeared out of no where and he got a shot at him, but didn't feel good about it at all thinking it was a possible miss. He gave it a while and finally went to look for him and found blood but still wasn't confident in it. The buck went through a thicket and across a fence still bleeding, so he called in some backup help and they recovered the buck about 60 yards later. I was thrilled he got him and that I had some closure on the buck that had been giving me fits for over the last year! And my stepdad reminded me that we were "even now"...4 years ago, he had stuck a giant 8 point with his bow and we couldn't find him. We looked for a few days with no luck and then he was spotted chasing a doe 2 weeks later about 3/4 mile away from where he'd been shot. The following rifle season, I was able to kill the buck and he'd jumped at least 10" from the year before. It was like deja vu all over again!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Sunday morning came and so did a change in the weather with very little wind and a LOT colder temps. Saturday the lows were in the upper 60s, and Sunday morning my thermostat read 29 degrees. As mentioned, I had originally had no intention of doing any hunting this past weekend and just hanging out around camp, but my wife decided she was going to stay in with Traeger that morning because he had been up coughing throughout the night, and also because it was going to be colder than what she was expecting. So, I thru on my gear and headed out with the rifle to go enjoy a beautiful morning in the woods. Anticipation was high with the better weather, but the movement was very very slow. I was able to squeak in a bobcat from across the neighbors fence and get a few good shots of him coming straight in to the blind, and several pictures of a beautiful young 8 point with a very prominent double throat patch. We'd put a couple cameras out on trails a week or so before just to see what may be in the area, and had pictures of 2 or 3 bucks that made me raise my eyebrows a bit and get excited about so the young 8 was safe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4157.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	24519452

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4192.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	24519453

An hour or so later, I caught movement a ways out and through up my binoculars to see what looked to be like a really good buck coming my way thru the edge of the timber. As soon as I got a decent look at him, I realized it was one of the bucks that we'd gotten pics of so I immediately got ready. He slowly made his way down the timberline towards me and at about 200 yards turned and made his way across the trail I was hunting along a brushy fence line and was gesturing like he was fixing to jump. I literally hollered at him to get him to stop, then whistled as loud as I could. He heard the whistle and turned back into the trail quartering hard to me, leaving me with a marginal shot but I couldn't let the one opportunity at it pass so I squeezed one off. The buck reared up then went down on his front end and disappeared into the thick timber. I was overjoyed that I had just got a bullet in him, but wasn't 100% confident in the shot due to the angle. I gave him abut 30 minutes and finally couldn't wait any longer. I slowly worked my way down the trail watching into the timber for any signs of him. I reached the spot where I'd shot and found no blood at all, but to my surprise, the buck was laying 25 yards away dead at the base of a feel down tree. I was pumped to say the least. I called my wife and let her know I'd got one, and went to pick her and Traeger up before I drug him out of the woods. It was definitely a morning I'll never forget, not only because I'd just my prettiest buck to date, but getting to have my family there with me and see Traeger grab a hold of a deer's antlers for the first time ever was worth every second I've spent chasing these awesome critters all year long.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X