Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bee County Co-Op Deer Pellets 20% vs. Double Down Deer Feed - Side by Side experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bee County Co-Op Deer Pellets 20% vs. Double Down Deer Feed - Side by Side experiment

Double Down and Bee County Co-Op are the two highest TDN% rated feeds on our list available in Texas. I was contacted by someone with Bee County Co-Op and asked if I would be interested in doing a side-by-side comparison of the two. I have a protein feeder in Terrell County that stays full year round and that I feed Lyssey & Eckel in. I decided to keep this test extremely simple. I bought 8 bags of L&E, 8 bags of Double Down, and was given 8 bags of Bee County 20%. My feeder has 3 downspouts equally spaced on the bottom so I filled the feeder alternating bags of fed so all 3 would be equally mixed. In front of the feeder near the game camera I poured half a bag of Double Down and a few feet away I poured half a bag of Bee County 20. Camera is set on both piles and feeder is visible in the background. We shall see what happens.
    Initial inspections shows that Bee County has larger pellets with less dust in the bag. Double Down’s pellets are smaller and have a stronger scent. This test may not prove anything to anyone, but I’m curious as to what the outcome will be. Two quality feeds side by side.

Will know in 70 days when I return to refill feeder and pull cards.

I have an almost equal amount of muledeer and whitetail that utilize this feeder and feed pen.

Double Down on the right and Bee County on the left.

TDN%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should clean that up unless you want some ridiculously large ants attacking people.

Comment

Very curious to see what they do but I’m confused. You mixed all three proteins? Or do the three downspouts each have a separate chamber?

Comment

I use whole cotton seed. No smell. Hogs don’t like it. More protein than most commercial products.

Comment

Originally posted by dc1986 View Post
          You should clean that up unless you want some ridiculously large ants attacking people.

Lol

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
            Very curious to see what they do but I’m confused. You mixed all three proteins? Or do the three downspouts each have a separate chamber?

I was originally asked to put up two feeders side by side, but that isn’t possible. The area is VERY remote and it’s a miracle I have one feeder there. I mixed the feeds so the deer eating from the feeder will get the taste and smell of all three together... then see if they hit one pile more than the other. May work and may not....we shall see in 10 weeks.

Comment

I have to say that I was very impressed with the quality of the pellet from Bee Co Co-Op and the lack of “dust” or ground pellets in the bottom. Bee Co Co-Op has almost none at all, L&E has maybe a cup worth in each bag, and DD has probably 4 - 6 cups worth in each bag. This is not a huge deal as it should all be edible in my feeder setup, but I’m just reporting my observation today.

Comment

Hope it don’t rain

Comment

Not in next week in Terrell County.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
                    I was originally asked to put up two feeders side by side, but that isn’t possible. The area is VERY remote and it’s a miracle I have one feeder there. I mixed the feeds so the deer eating from the feeder will get the taste and smell of all three together... then see if they hit one pile more than the other. May work and may not....we shall see in 10 weeks.

Gotcha. I bet they eat it. Whatever the mixture is. I was hoping it was the Pepsi challenge and we would see which they ate first?

Comment

That’s how the pile test in front of the game camera is....hopefully.

Comment

So someone gave you 8 bags free of their protein to compare 3 different kinds of protein and you mixed all of them together in 1 feeder to see which one works best?

Got it. Very reliable study

I will say you like doing tests, trying new products, and new ideas.

Comment

I made it very clear that I could not do any other test than an on the ground sidexside study. I told the guy that I would do that in front of a camera for him to see what feed the deer preferred. I also told him that I have a large feeder and only get to fill it every 70 days. I never met the guy, nor did I ever ask for anything for free. He text me out of the blue and said he was heading in my direction and had some feed he wanted me to try. I didn’t know if he was dropping off one sack or 100, nor did I expect anything. If anything is questioned, I can take screen-shots and post the text messages we had back and forth. I feed Lyssey and Eckel, but spent the extra money to buy DD, because I was told that the deer prefer Bee Co over DD. In 70 days, when I head back to fill, chances are I will have a load of L&E as I’m not even close to the nearest Bee Co dealer. I was asked to do a test and I’m doing it.... I guess you would expect me to do something else...???

Last edited by TXBRASS; 05-11-2018, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                            So someone gave you 8 bags free of their protein to compare 3 different kinds of protein and you mixed all of them together in 1 feeder to see which one works best?

Got it. Very reliable study

I will say you like doing tests, trying new products, and new ideas.
                            Ur the guy on the Protein Pellet Ingredient (TDN%) post who says he feeds the lowest TDN/cheapest feed available (MG) because you can't afford better feed.

Your quote:
                            I can't afford $13 a bag on a low fence place. Not when we have 2 1000# protein feeders.

With that mindset, not sure why you care which feed shows to be preferred and why you take the time to critique so professionally the way I chose to compare the 2....

Comment

It’s nice that you got free bags of feed, but this test is severely flawed. Just chalk it up for what it is...you got free feed out of the deal but you want be able to make any reliable conclusions based on this test.

Comment

Working...
                              X