No announcement yet.

Bolt gun advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're buying a gun mainly for nilgai hunting, look at a .338 or .375. Needed no? But it gives you a bit of a margin.

LWD

Comment

the 180's are a great choice for any texas critter if they shoot well. No reason to drop bullet weight in the '06 for deer.

Comment

It must be a real revelation to all the critters that have been killed with a 30-06 to learn that they would have been deader (more dead?) if they had been shot with a .300 magnum of some decription. They'll never know though, 'cause they're DEAD !

Comment

Years back before I got into reloading, I had two 3006 and they didn't like a 180g pill. Just weren't very accurate. They would shoot the 150 and 165's real well though. My 300wm likes everything from 130 to 200.

Comment

I'd go with a 300wm. You can push some 210gr or 215gr pills as great speeds with it; which will be great for Nilgai. A good muzzle brake, like a Fat B*stard or a Vias, will knock the recoil down to not much more than a 6.5 Creedmoor. For whitetail, drop down to billets in the 160's and recoil isn't bad at all. Or, if your outfitter will let you, consider a 300wsm. They're stupid accurate, moderate recoil and great ammo choices in a wide range.

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            It must be a real revelation to all the critters that have been killed with a 30-06 to learn that they would have been deader (more dead?) if they had been shot with a .300 magnum of some decription. They'll never know though, 'cause they're DEAD !

Probably the same revelation as all the game animals killed with a 300wm - that they could have been shot with the "perfect" 30-06. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              The .30-06 will kill them and I have killed many with it. There are places that the extra knockdown power to anchor them in place really helps.

With your attitude we should all hunt with the .22 hornet. It will kill deer dead as well.

Comment

Working...
              X