Bolt gun advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bolt gun advice

I do not own a single bolt gun. I have been looking for quite some time now at guns and deciding on a caliber. Up until now I really have had no reason to have a bolt gun since I feel my 556 and 6.8 ar15 cover everything I would hunt. I planning on a nilgai hunt soon and obviously will need a larger caliber. Most outfitter require at least a 180 gr bullet. Looking at available ammo and what would be the most reasonable I think 30-06 due to ammo selection would be best. Most manufacturers make 150-200 grain ammo for the 30-06. Would my assumption that I could shot 150 gr and both 180 gr ammo accurately from the same gun be inaccurate? I know twist rate will effect what weight ammo a barrel can shoot accurately but would it be possible to have success with ammo of different weights.

My reason for the question is I could also use the lower weight class of ammo for deer hunting and obviously the upper end for nilgai or other larger game. I just don't want to buy a rifle to hunt large game when I may only use it or he my large game every few years.

So far the rifle I am looking at is the howa 1500 lightening. 1-10 rate 22" barrel

30-06 is a great choice. Pretty universal caliber......

Comment

Agreed. 30.06 can do about anything you want. It hasn't been around for 111 years bacause it is bad. I am a Savage fan although I own Sako, Ruger and a couple Rossi singles. My best shooting out of the box rifles have been Savage. Everyone has their favorites.

Comment

1-10 twist should shoot 150's and 180's fine

Comment

You'll be hard pressed to find a better caliber for what you're doing than a 30-06. The only other one I MIGHT recommend would be a 300 mag, but that's entirely overkill for deer and such. I would imagine you could find loads that shoot pretty well in your rifle in both bullet weights, especially if you handload. As for the rifle, go with one from a reputable company and you'll be fine. I have handled a few howa's and they look like solid guns.

Comment

.30-06 is never a bad choice. Several good choices in 180+ grain bullets for heavier game. Or use a Barnes TTSX in a lighter weight. If you're serious about nilgai make sure of what the outfitter requires. I've seen some require .300 magnum or more. At the range you'll be shooting nilgai the difference is meaningless, but they still want it.

LWD

Comment

edit. sorry thought I was entering a new thread post.
              Last edited by dbaio1; 07-17-2017, 02:33 PM.

Comment

I would go with a 300 win mag.

Comment

I have the .308, .30-06 and the .300 RUM and if I am hunting Nilgai I am taking the .300 with 210gr Bergers

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                    I have the .308, .30-06 and the .300 RUM and if I am hunting Nilgai I am taking the .300 with 210gr Bergers
                    I would too if I had one I just don't want to buy a gun that's only rarely used when I can buy something else that's more versatile.

Comment

Again, check with your chosen outfitters. Most require minimum 30 caliber magnum and some require 325 caliber

Comment

I would go 300 win for Nilgai. Can it be done with smaller, absolutely but if I'm buying a gun to go on a Nilgai hunt but shoot whitetail later it would be the 300 win. Also as mentioned sometimes the requirement is a minimum of 300 win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

300 win mag would be my choice.

Comment

30.06 - most versatile gun and can find ammo at most any Walmart or local sporting good store

Comment

Originally posted by popo1984 View Post
                              I would too if I had one I just don't want to buy a gun that's only rarely used when I can buy something else that's more versatile.
                              I have several stands that I use the RUM with 210s for white tails. They have shots to 400yds and I like to DRT at that distance.

Comment

Working...
                              X