No announcement yet.

F250 6.7 engine lag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 2017 F-250 has a terrible lag if I stomp on it. I was tying to cross a 4 lane road yesterday and punched it, took a minute for the truck to respond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

F250 6.7 engine lag?

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
      Does this motor have a dual stage or compound turbo on it?
      If so it could be a problem with the first stage causing the lag.
      Turbo lag should not be this pronounced as long as the fuel flow is correct.
      Torque management is a whole different thing as it retards timing on gas engines and reduces fuel flow on diesel engines to protect the tranny from shifting too hard and breaking something. Been many a souped up hot shot rig knock out the rear end and/or tranny from too much torque applied during shifting under heavy load.
      An after market tuner might help if the lag is just the nature of the beast.

If it's a stock truck it has a single VG turbo.

What you are talking about is defueling between shift which I suppose could be part of the torque management strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        Agreed about the max load up a steep mountain won't apply to most folks but it does keep everything on a level playing field for comparison.

I know which one you are talking about towing the 5th wheels campers but that was done before Chevy and Ram upped their power numbers.

I won't argue too much on the point about most people using their truck how it was intended. Some people like to **** away money to say look at me, I drive a Powerstroke, Duramax, Cummins. I also believe that why a lot of those folks have emissions troubles.

As to the torque management issue, you can't even admit when you are wrong. If the torque management limits power as you admit, then it definitely can cause the truck to fall on its face when you jam the throttle. That's exactly what it's designed to do to help save the power train.

Ive driven all of the diesels except the 2017 Chevy. They all have hesitation when you punch the accelerator quickly whether it's from a dead stop or going on-off-in the throttle.

Lol! What am I wrong about?
        Did you bother to read the op's post?
        He said that his lag was so bad that it was dangerous.
        That is one statement I have never heard from anyone driving a 6.7 powerstroke.
        I can't remember but I think my truck will do 0-60 in less than 8 seconds.
        I would hardly think that someone merging in traffic would find that dangerous.

Comment

F250 6.7 engine lag?

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
          Lol! What am I wrong about?
          Did you bother to read the op's post?
          He said that his lag was so bad that it was dangerous.
          That is one statement I have never heard from anyone driving a 6.7 powerstroke.
          I can't remember but I think my truck will do 0-60 in less than 8 seconds.
          I would hardly think that someone merging in traffic would find that dangerous.

Yes I did read it. I was wondering if you did. [emoji12]

Things like this are subjective. If you are used to driving a vehicle that has instant throttle response then the new diesels are gonna disappoint you. All of them have a degree of delay when mashing the throttle.

I have the BD throttle booster on my Ram and I run it in the 75% setting and it makes a huge difference. There is still a noticeable delay if you are cruising, let off the throttle and get back on it quickly. It's probably in reality 2 seconds or less but it's noticeable.

The only time I've run mine 0-60 I had 500# of feed in the back and it ran 8.1.

Comment

Originally posted by "DOC" View Post
            It's turbo lag. Normal but can be frustrating.
            As said above anticipate it and start sooner. Putting it in
            Tow/Haul seems to help accelerate quicker.
            X2. Give time for the turbo"s to kick in

Comment

Originally posted by BTAssassin View Post
              X2. Give time for the turbo"s to kick in

VGTs have very little turbo lag.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                My 2017 F-250 has a terrible lag if I stomp on it. I was tying to cross a 4 lane road yesterday and punched it, took a minute for the truck to respond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I am glad someone else has or admits about this problem.

I had a 2004 Dodge 5.9 before this one. It did have an Edge Juice controller on it, but it always stayed in tow/haul mode.
                It would out excellerate my friends F150 from a take off and I never had a problem shooting out into traffic. My 6.7 does haul better though.
                I guess just different beasts?

Comment

My 2015 Cummins does that too, lags when you gas it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    Yes I did read it. I was wondering if you did. [emoji12]

Things like this are subjective. If you are used to driving a vehicle that has instant throttle response then the new diesels are gonna disappoint you. All of them have a degree of delay when mashing the throttle.

I have the BD throttle booster on my Ram and I run it in the 75% setting and it makes a huge difference. There is still a noticeable delay if you are cruising, let off the throttle and get back on it quickly. It's probably in reality 2 seconds or less but it's noticeable.

The only time I've run mine 0-60 I had 500# of feed in the back and it ran 8.1.

There is no doubt torque management keeps you from having 100% of power available, but I have never been in any situation where I have punched the throttle and thought I may be in danger because it was falling on its face.
                    I have punched the throttle and felt traction control take over because of rear wheel spin.

Comment

Rubi513
                      Is your standard or auto, what year is it, and is it all factory?
                      Just curious on these things on different people's feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
                        Rubi513
                        Is your standard or auto, what year is it, and is it all factory?
                        Just curious on these things on different people's feedback.
                        Auto, 2016 and it's all factory.

Comment

Auto, 2016 and it's all factory.
                          Then yours and mine drive totally different on initial acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
                            Then yours and mine drive totally different on initial acceleration.
                            I would have it looked at.
                            I live in the Conroe area, but do a lot of work around Houston. If you are ever in the area and would like to take a ride in mine to compare, let me know.

Comment

I would have it looked at.

I live in the Conroe area, but do a lot of work around Houston. If you are ever in the area and would like to take a ride in mine to compare, let me know.

No use having it looked at, it's how these trucks run. I have a stock 2015, it's the best towing truck I have ever driven but you try to hot rod it and you will be disappointed!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                                No use having it looked at, it's how these trucks run. I have a stock 2015, it's the best towing truck I have ever driven but you try to hot rod it and you will be disappointed!
                                O.K.

Comment

Working...
                                X