No announcement yet.

Snakes in Pop-up placed on ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never any snakes or spiders, but I only leave mine out from July through November. Just for bow hunting. I always check before climbing in. Its always on my mind. Especially in South Texas.

Comment

In over 30 years hunting from various ground blinds I have never had a snake in one. Seems snakes only target people that are skeerd and scream like a girl when they see one.

Now yellow jackets are a whole different story.

Comment

Never found any snakes in mine but lots of black widows and scorpions. Since momma started hunting we have switch over to Maverick blinds on short platforms.

Comment

Had a corral snake in one a few years ago and 1 other copperhead. Just flipped him outside and commenced to hunting.

Comment

Snakes? What snakes?

They're very friendly when you're in a ground blind...

Click image for larger version

Name:	rattler.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	24502610

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              I always scan the ground inside the blind with a flashlight before getting in. However, one cool morning after sitting there for about and hour I saw a copperhead hidden in the leaves in the corner of the blind. Ever since then I started pitching the blind on top of a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet. That makes it much easier to see if anything has taken up residence.
              I like that idea. I have never had one crawl in a blind with me.

However, I have been stung by a hornet that got in my blind. I never put my hand where I can't see anymore, even if it is high, like mine was.

Comment

we put out 4 in Callahan county each year around labor day and take up before rifle opener. 3 years ago had rattlers in 3 of the 4 when we went to take them up. I guess the dark interior of a double bull makes a nice cozy den. at the first one I holler "snake!!!" to my buddy back at the truck and he comes running up with a bottle of wasp spray. not sure what he heard me yell but my expression of disgust got my point across

Comment

Snakes in Pop-up placed on ground

This coming season will be our 3rd on our lease out by Brady. Last year we added 2 box blinds. I haven't seen a snake yet. Last year landowner says him and his son kilt 4 rattlers, 1 of which was by out camper.

I did hear some scratching on the outside of blind one afternoon. Kinda freaked me out, I was napping, I wasn't sure what it was. Ended up being a BIG ol rat. I didn't have anything ready to hand to dispatch my visitor. I looked up just before grabbing an arrow to slay the beast and saw 3-4 deer under the feeder. He got close to my boot so in went to kick it, he squeaked and took off running. Deer turned and looked right at me, watched me for a bit than went back to eating. Screen was up, I had on long sleeve camo shirt and a camo face mask. Not sure if they saw me. I've since switched to black shirt and face mask when I hunt pop ups.
                  Buddy says it's over kill. I'm ok with it.
                  Last edited by Pushbutton2; 07-18-2017, 11:23 AM.

Comment

I don't do pop ups anymore. Opening day of bow season 2012 (my first bow opener) I crawled in and met face to face with Mr.Rattle snake. Emptied a clip out of my M&P and ruined my hunt but by god that snake was dead. The next weekend I came back with a tripod and have been using one ever since. No snakes for me.

Comment

I let them hang out with me.

Comment

Not yet, but this week I built a 2 foot tall elevated platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellen View Post
                          indoor/outdoor carpet on the ground

I have a piece of 7x7 green carpet that I got at the home depot for a few bucks. Won't stop anything that wants to come in from coming in, but makes the floor very clean and easy to scan before entering the blind in the dark.

Comment

I put light colored carpet in mine so I can ck prior to entry and have never had a issue.

Comment

Working...
                            X