No announcement yet.

Hagerman Buck has date set with Ken Witt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incredible buck, congrats. I am always amazed at the mass on those Red River bucks.

Comment

Congrats, that is a deer of a lifetime at an amazing place. Tuned in for score!

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
        Was this the buck that wasn't found for a day or so? Seems like I remember there be a recovery issue with a couple of deer.

Yes, you are correct. Right at 5:00 pm, I shot this buck at 15 yards and my shot was just a tad bit back (liver shot). I watched him run about 60 yards and stopped for what seemed to be about 5 minutes in hopes of him going down in sight. My heart felt like it was about to thump out of my chest. He stood there swaying back and forth, turned and gave me another look at the shot and then walked around some brush out of sight. I texted Donnie and told him I just shot a good one and to be on the look out because he was headed his way. I waited 30 minutes, snuck out and met up with Donnie. We then snuck back to the location and started blood trailing right at dark. I would have gave this buck more time but Mother Nature was against me with rain coming and since we were on a good blood trail, we decided to proceed. Apparently, we bumped him a few times because we had found several places he had laid down. After a couple of hours, the rain was there and the blood trail was lost. I told the folks at Hagerman that I had shot a good buck and gave them the location but kind of kept in quite.

The next morning, I decided to sleep in to not interfere with other hunters in the area. Steve made the drive over me we then went back to the last location around 10:30 am. It had rained all night and was still drizzling. We made a great effort and walked the thickets to locate him and had no luck. I didn't want to disturb the area and the other hunters so we pulled out by 2:00 pm. I had a sick feeling but knew that he was down somewhere.

After another sleepless night and being sick to my stomach. I woke up the last day of the hunt and went to my stand. I set there thinking and coming up with a game plan with uneasy stomach till 10:30 then got down to attempt another recovery. I decided to take some of my hunting equipment back to the truck (in the direction that the buck was headed) and then do some more searching. I had stopped and made a phone call with another gentleman about getting a group together after the hunt was over for Monday morning to come over and do some more searching. This would be the last day to recover any animals. As I spoke to this guy I looked up and something told me to walk over by this fallen down tree that was approx 100 yards off of the trail that I have walked in and out all weekend. As I approached the tree, I discovered the massive buck that I have been searching for. Now that the relief was gone, the excitement and adrenaline kicked in. I immediately slapped my tag on him and started taking pics, numerous texts were sent out with returned texts and phone calls. Now, I had to go back to retrieve my game cart but sure didn't want to walk away and from and leave the animal laying there that had caused me so much grief and heartache for the past 2 days.

As I got him strapped on my cart, I was walking up the hill overlooking Lake Texoma, I had to stop for a few minutes and reflect on my first Hagerman Hunting experience. I also thanked God for all that he had done for me such as my family, friends, giving me the privilege to be able to hunt such an incredible piece of property and for rewarding me with such an awesome trophy that I have been in search of for the past 30 years (15 bowhunting). This definitely a hard earned but overwhelming experience with a huge reward in the end. I learned a lot and learned that patience and being persistent was the key to my success. I hope that one day, I am able to return to Hagerman for Round 2 and go after another one of the Monster Bucks!

Thanks for reading and thanks for all the nice comments. I will return to this thread and post the official score when the results come in. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
          Great buck and give my best to Ken. He has had some serious health issues. Just tell him that John Nicholson and Mannix Smith both said hello.

Thanks.

-john

I sure will. Although I've only spoke to him on the phone, he seems like a really great guy.

Comment

Incredible bucks congrats!

Comment

Great buck

Comment

Great buck! Great recap too! And congrats on a super deer.

Think the last time I saw Steve was a few years ago at The H. Tell Steve and Ken both I said "Howdy" when ya see them again.

Comment

Wow, very cool story on the recovery

& congrats again [emoji1303]

Comment

Nice buck and cool story but I am trying to figure out if you own a DeLorean or are friends with Doc Brown as we have almost 9 months till this buck is suppose to be shot.

Comment

Sure is a nice deer

Comment

Buck of a lifetime right there

Comment

Originally posted by Heathbar_tx View Post
                          Nice buck and cool story but I am trying to figure out if you own a DeLorean or are friends with Doc Brown as we have almost 9 months till this buck is suppose to be shot.

[emoji16]
                          Thanks for pointing it out. December 2, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by J. Colwell View Post
                            [emoji16]
                            Thanks for pointing it out. December 2, 2016

I was just hoping the date was true and I could beat you to the spot!

Comment

Congrats! In for the final score.

Comment

Congratulations
                                Great buck, let us know what he scores

Comment

Working...
                                X