South Texas Trigger Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Texas Trigger Time

I headed down to the South Texas ranch this past weekend. The country is green as all get out for this time of year. The weather was hot. The moon nearly full. And the bucks were getting ready to rumble. Only they were doing it at night. Not a whole lot of deer were coming to feed. So I decided to get in a little trigger time.

Coyotes were everywhere! Almost every road I turned on there was a coyote. But they weren't hanging around. One did just a little too long. A half grown dumb pup.

I was the only one down the first night so I mixed a drink. Got out the night vision and the thermal to make a little hunt. Right off the bat I see a coyote running down a side road. Smacked him.

Another half grown pup. About fifteen minutes later saw another one. And smacked him. Another pup. Didn't take a picture.

Ten minutes later I spot a big old boar hog. Smacked him.

The next morning I called in a couple of coyotes.
    I was sitting in my stand using a fox pro roughly 150 yards out. This one came in right under me. Had a hard time picking him up in the scope but smacked him.

About ten minutes later another shows up about 200 yards out. Gave him a lobotomy. Love my APR 7mm08.

Something was digging big holes under my fence. So put out a snare and caught a badger.

Deer movement was slow but did see a few decent bucks. I kinda like this big eight pointer.

"Tuffy" my camp house pet showed up a time or two. He is 10.5 years old this year and still trying to hustle the does.

The deer hunting was the worst that I've ever seen it for this time of year. So while we wait for cooler weather and things to turn around you might as well make the best of it. It was lots of fun getting in some trigger time. Total count was one hog, seven coyotes, one badger, and about fifteen bass.

"Tuffy" is bad *** looking...like an old war horse. A good, high quality, framed photo of him would be cool for the camp house.

I want to get me a nice badger so bad I can't stand it...

Comment

For being 10.5, ole Tuffy, sure does stand up on his "toes" like a youngster. Cool old buck.

Comment

I would love to just come down, drink a cold beer or two and look at what you 've done. Always look forward to the pics. And Tuffy is a bad *** holding his own

Comment

I don't think I even take enough bullets with me when I go to do all the shooting you did!

Comment

I'd say you had an excellent trip. And you didn't have to clean anything!

Comment

Good work on yotes! Nice deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome all the way around! Them boar ribs gunna be tasty!

Skinny

Comment

That is some great shooting!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                    Awesome all the way around! Them boar ribs gunna be tasty!

Skinny
                    They are delicious. The coyotes love them. I have a sendero below the camp house where he was deposited. Coyotes that like pork don't last long. It's a vicious cycle.

Comment

Awesome deer still stout for his age

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                        They are delicious. The coyotes love them. I have a sendero below the camp house where he was deposited. Coyotes that like pork don't last long. It's a vicious cycle.

I like your way of thinking!![emoji1474]

Skinny

Comment

Wow look at that tuff mofo
                          That is one cool looking buck, thx for sharing pics

Comment

HELL of a trip. I haven't had a trip like that in many years!

Comment

Moose is a more appropriate name for Tuffy

Comment

Working...
                              X