No announcement yet.

THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too poor for a boat, too fat for walkin!!

-Seriously though, I will look into what will/can be done. I am originally from DFW where ALL public land is walk in only, and there aren't half as many problems as there are out here at the Buttes, but it does make it alot harder for guys without boats.

Comment

City Council Meeting is

Originally posted by SanAngeloBowman View Post
      If you have such concerns then get yourself to a city council meeting and speak on the publics behalf. If it does happen and You didnt do anything about it you have noone else to blame except guess who?

Now on the other hand......as far as Ive been told the gates are going to limit access to only certain areas that are a problem with poaching and dumping AT NIGHT. This is a GOOD thing if you are an ethical hunter, duck deer or snipe its doesnt matter. Change is coming and we'll have to adapt, but dont start getting all freaked out until we see what their intentions are. IF ya want to know what going on tho YOU need to get out and find out and ask questions to the SASP Lake Division guys and city haLL.
      Tuesday Decmeber 14th at 9am. Yes that is tomorrow. I was planning on going but I needed a little more notice.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHORNZ View Post
        Tuesday Decmeber 14th at 9am. Yes that is tomorrow. I was planning on going but I needed a little more notice.
        Hey thx for posting TXHORNZ....I'm gonna see about going depends on where on the schedule its listed. Do you know where they might have that posted/ If not I'll text my bud on SAPD lake Div. and ask him if its gonna be on there.

Comment

Hey thx for posting TXHORNZ....I'm gonna see about going depends on where on the schedule its listed. Do you know where they might have that posted/ If not I'll text my bud on SAPD lake Div. and ask him if its gonna be on there.
          I Just checked the agenda for todays City Council meeting and there is NOTHING about TBR on the agenda for TODAY.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramball36 View Post
            Too poor for a boat, too fat for walkin!!

-Seriously though, I will look into what will/can be done. I am originally from DFW where ALL public land is walk in only, and there aren't half as many problems as there are out here at the Buttes, but it does make it alot harder for guys without boats.
            Better find a new friend! Good luck to you!

Comment

Sorry about the miss information from City Council.

I Just checked the agenda for todays City Council meeting and there is NOTHING about TBR on the agenda for TODAY.
              Sorry for the miss information SAB. I received it from a City Councilmen. Below is some information he posted about TBR on FB.

"I honestly thought they'd be talking about this subject today. I saw that it is on our future agenda for January 11th and/or January 25th. We'll be talking about Twin Buttes to some extent in both meetings.

I am schedule...d to go out with the City Manager next week to look around. I talked to a couple of council members and several city staff about what you guys were suggesting on this FB page. This is a tougher subject than I thought it would be.

The main thing is for us to find a way to control trash and make it easier for law enforcement to enforce rules. Also, I found out that the City has an ordinance that does not allow people to leave the roadways around the lake, so lets take that into consideration, as well. We need more roads out there (somehow!) This discussion should continue as we come up with more ideas for consideration.

I'll post definite schedules as I see them issued to me. Sorry about the mistake, but on the flip side it gives us more time to think out reasonable angles on this."

Comment

No biggy TXHORNZ

Never heard of the reference to leaving the road but I'll have to assume they mean driving your vehicle off of existing roads. We certainly do NOT need more roads. There are WAY to many as it is and encroaches way to much into what used to be great bedding areas all due to lazy road hunters that dont wont to get out of their vehicles and ground hunt like the rest of the ethical hunters trying to enjoy the place. Chasing deer is NOT HUNTING..this is what we are trying to prevent NOT ENHANCE. So if you could tell your city council friend he is WAY off base and as he himself stated, he is very much outta touch about TBR.

Comment

I agree with you SAB.

No biggy TXHORNZ

Never heard of the reference to leaving the road but I'll have to assume they mean driving your vehicle off of existing roads. We certainly do NOT need more roads. There are WAY to many as it is and encroaches way to much into what used to be great bedding areas all due to lazy road hunters that dont wont to get out of their vehicles and ground hunt like the rest of the ethical hunters trying to enjoy the place. Chasing deer is NOT HUNTING..this is what we are trying to prevent NOT ENHANCE. So if you could tell your city council friend he is WAY off base and as he himself stated, he is very much outta touch about TBR.
                  This City Councilman is not an acquaintance of mine. On Facebook I have made the "San Angelo, Texas" a friend. With this I came across a post about TBR. I had made a post to it and the above post was part of a response I and others received. I believe Councilman Paul Alexander is the person posting on Facebook on behalf of the City.

Comment

Im going to try to make some of those council meetings in January if Im in town. It'd be great if you could go to.

I'm up for a Regional Rep. position with the LSBA elections coming soon I'd appreciate you and anyone else considering me for this areas position. I try pretty hard to represent this area in other matters and organizations already and have good network of LEO, GW, and local Gov. reps.

On another note: Hunted Unit 3 last night......I passed on several good size does and a buddy of mine shot a pretty decent 7 point for out there with 16 1/2" spread.

Comment

SanAngeloBowman:

I work for the City of San Angelo, which you now know is considering ways to limit vehicular access to the land around Twin Buttes Reservoir. We are doing this in part to increase security and public safety, and to stop some of the illicit behavior (dumping, underage drinking, drug use, assaults, the illegal discharge of firearms) around Twin Buttes.

You are obviously interested in what happens at TBR, and we'd like to share our ideas with you to get your input. If you will send me your email address. I'd like to send you some info. (This message wouldn't let me include my email address. It is anthony(dot)wilson(at sign)sanangelotexas(dot)us. You are also welcome to call me at 653-5328.)

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Anthony Wilson
                      Civic Events Manager, City of San Angelo

Comment

Tbr

Hello fellow hunters, As a life time resident of San Angelo and a city employee ( Lake Operations) I see first hand what is going on in all areas of tbr as I am one of the ones you will see out there picking up the illegal dumping and trash, The changes that are planned for Tbr will be in the best interest of us all, vehicle trafic will be restricted yes but you will still be able to access these areas by 4 wheller/ foot or horseback. This will stop the partys,thugs, riftraft to a piont. It will still be up to all of use to help stop it all, get the licence number of people shutting hand guns or rifles or illegaly dumping. and call the SAPD as soon as you can. I am making it a piont to try and keep the areas clean but it takes us all to get it done. Good to here some of you are having good luck this year. To keep these areas where we can all injoy them get all info you can ( safely) license number ,vehicle color and info exct. on the people that do not apreciate what we truly have here. Remember it takes us all to take a stand. I myself would like to see the area stay open for use to drive. But seems the kids and others of this day and age do not appreciate what we truly do have here, Not many places left anywhere like TBR. If you hapen to be out and see one of use out there in a Lake Operations truck or Twinn Butts truck feel free to stop use and discuse the issues. We are doing what we can to help. keep in mind we are cleaning up many of these areas now and are not trying to mess up your hunting. there is allot of trash out there. Allso keep in mind we are not pulling out any feeders or non permentint blinds at this time unless asked to do so by SAPD, Pallets are considered trash or dumping. Good hunting guys.....

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Wilson View Post
                          SanAngeloBowman:

I work for the City of San Angelo, which you now know is considering ways to limit vehicular access to the land around Twin Buttes Reservoir. We are doing this in part to increase security and public safety, and to stop some of the illicit behavior (dumping, underage drinking, drug use, assaults, the illegal discharge of firearms) around Twin Buttes.

You are obviously interested in what happens at TBR, and we'd like to share our ideas with you to get your input. If you will send me your email address. I'd like to send you some info. (This message wouldn't let me include my email address. It is anthony(dot)wilson(at sign)sanangelotexas(dot)us. You are also welcome to call me at 653-5328.)

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Anthony Wilson
                          Civic Events Manager, City of San Angelo
                          Originally posted by patlawhon View Post
                          Hello fellow hunters, As a life time resident of San Angelo and a city employee ( Lake Operations) I see first hand what is going on in all areas of tbr as I am one of the ones you will see out there picking up the illegal dumping and trash, The changes that are planned for Tbr will be in the best interest of us all, vehicle trafic will be restricted yes but you will still be able to access these areas by 4 wheller/ foot or horseback. This will stop the partys,thugs, riftraft to a piont. It will still be up to all of use to help stop it all, get the licence number of people shutting hand guns or rifles or illegaly dumping. and call the SAPD as soon as you can. I am making it a piont to try and keep the areas clean but it takes us all to get it done. Good to here some of you are having good luck this year. To keep these areas where we can all injoy them get all info you can ( safely) license number ,vehicle color and info exct. on the people that do not apreciate what we truly have here. Remember it takes us all to take a stand. I myself would like to see the area stay open for use to drive. But seems the kids and others of this day and age do not appreciate what we truly do have here, Not many places left anywhere like TBR. If you hapen to be out and see one of use out there in a Lake Operations truck or Twinn Butts truck feel free to stop use and discuse the issues. We are doing what we can to help. keep in mind we are cleaning up many of these areas now and are not trying to mess up your hunting. there is allot of trash out there. Allso keep in mind we are not pulling out any feeders or non permentint blinds at this time unless asked to do so by SAPD, Pallets are considered trash or dumping. Good hunting guys.....
                          OUTSTANDING GENTLMEN!!!!!!

Its REALLY AWSOME to see y'all posting on here. I truly believe in TBR and its potential to be one of the states best public hunting opportunities and its potential as a draw for visitors , not to mention how its impact could help the local economy in these times.

It will take a combined effort of officials, city council, LEO agencies, and the LOCALS to make it happen. Access issues and signage, as well as some defined rules and regs and its notification to the PUBLIC.

Most people I have talked to about their conduct and hunting methods out at TBR seem to think its a free for all wild west out here and for the most part IN THE PAST that is almost the way it was treated. This year has been about the worst Ive seen it. I think in part because alot of folks heard the OLD Lake and Park Police was disbanned and thought there was now enforcement in place........HOW wrong they were!!!!! The new Lake Division is awsome and very much on top of their game!!!! THANKS GUYS!!! and our newer GW is doing an awsome job out there as well and we VERY MUCH appreciate him.

FYI........the SAPD Lake Division and GW BOTH hunt with their kids out here now guys and have a personal interest in what happens here as well. I think its great they are out here and very much in touch with whats happening first hand.

Comment

Hey all. I've lived in Angelo a few years. I'm a civilian employee on Goodfellow. This year I've been hunting on a friend's place out in Knickerbocker and have had some good luck.

What I'm trying to find out is if TBR is the only public hunting in this area. I know that state park has draws for hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Angelo Bill View Post
                              Hey all. I've lived in Angelo a few years. I'm a civilian employee on Goodfellow. This year I've been hunting on a friend's place out in Knickerbocker and have had some good luck.

What I'm trying to find out is if TBR is the only public hunting in this area. I know that state park has draws for hunting.
                              YES SASP IS open for day to day hunting duriing the bow season and PARTS of general season. the Draw hunts are on the EAST side of hwy in the main park AND in Areas 1-7 on WEST side of hwy for about 2wks of the general season. You can get the dates etc. at the South park entrance at beginning of season each year. There are good deer and some hogs at SASP. Check the SASP thread on here for any additional info.

Comment

Mr. Wilson:

I WILL call you. I am tied up filming for next few days till end of wknd. I actaually was SUPPOSED to be in the loop on this TBR project ( I'm President of Concho Valley Hunters Advocacy) and had meeting with City Manager LAST YEAR. I was told I would be in the meetings etc. for this project and was never called! I stopped by CM office and was told he was unavaiable and asked to have him call me TWICE and NEVER heard from anyone. I truly hope that this improves.

Rob Sparks

Comment

Working...
                                X