Misaligned gate hinge solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misaligned gate hinge solution?

This gate is perfectly level when closed and the pins are up against the post. The bottom pin is almost 2 inches to the right of the top pin, causing major sag when open. Is there any solution other than redrilling one of the pins? Post is absolutely solid. No moving and bracing possible.

Opening the other direction is a poor solution.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Probably better just move 1 of those pins

Comment

Keep the top pin but loosen and slide gate down a bit to allow a fresh area of post to Re-drill a new pin hole.

Comment

could you just rotate the part that is on the gate?

Comment

Do the pins go all the way thru the post with nuts and washers on both sides?

Comment

Looks like your post is leaning. Either releavel it or redrill the holes and put in a new one.

Comment

Loosen the hinge and turn it at an angle til the gate is straight.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                Do the pins go all the way thru the post with nuts and washers on both sides?
                Yes they do
                Originally posted by Robert View Post
                Looks like your post is leaning. Either releavel it or redrill the holes and put in a new one.
                It is. They installed it crooked. It's 4' deep with concrete. I drug my truck on the gravel road with a comealong today and it didn't budge.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                  could you just rotate the part that is on the gate?
                  That's an idea. Then compensate by pushing the bottom pin away from the post a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by hellbndr23 View Post
                    Yes they doIt is. They installed it crooked. It's 4' deep with concrete. I drug my truck on the gravel road with a comealong today and it didn't budge.

Adjust your nuts on the hinges

until you get it like you want it. Also adjust the wrap around adjusters on the gate. Little experminting and you should be good to go. Just tighten the hinges against either side of the post.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                      Adjust your nuts on the hinges
                      I would be vey careful here, and you may want to consider hiring this job out!

Comment

Perfectly level as in bubble level or level with the ground? Lol

Skinny

Comment

Redneck in me says “sledgehammer to the bottom pin”. Busy man in me says “Does it keep the livestock in/out? If yes then go to the next chore”.

Comment

Just be like our ranch hand and put some bailing wire on it and call it good !! Lol o and maybe a zip tie if bailing wire fails!!

Comment

It won't matter if you move the ring on the gate. The pivot point will still be out of level and the gate will still swing out of level. Tap the top pin one way and the bottom pin the other way to get it closer to level while in the open position. You probably won't have to bend them very far if you bend both pins. The adjusting of the pins with the nuts just adjusts it in the closed position. Bending the pins is adjusting it in the open position.

Comment

Working...
                              X