No announcement yet.

Malinois Belgian Shepherds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a K9 unit black GSD here in Houston that we had out to our brewery for a fundraiser to buy bulletproof vests for local LEs. It's somewhat of a celebrity dog at this point and is just an amazing, amazing dog to behold in person.

This is him:

http://www.hpdblog.com/2010/11/hpd-k-9.html

Was talking to his partner and he said when they release Gunnar on a would-be criminal, the surrender rate is 100% and almost instant. They're not scared of tear gas, they're not scared of getting shot, they're not scared of being tazed. Release a dog? Forget it.

Comment

If you have never heard about or been around an Akbash, please look them up. We absolutely love this breed. They are a LGD (livestock guardian) but are phenomenal pets along with their instinctive "guardian" nature. They are big dogs who lay around waiting on you, or something they present as danger and then spring to action.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
        There is a K9 unit black GSD here in Houston that we had out to our brewery for a fundraiser to buy bulletproof vests for local LEs. It's somewhat of a celebrity dog at this point and is just an amazing, amazing dog to behold in person.

This is him:

http://www.hpdblog.com/2010/11/hpd-k-9.html

Was talking to his partner and he said when they release Gunnar on a would-be criminal, the surrender rate is 100% and almost instant. They're not scared of tear gas, they're not scared of getting shot, they're not scared of being tazed. Release a dog? Forget it.
        Yep, amazing how many people will fight or run from an armed COP or three, but my cute little 70lb Mal shows up and they're done!

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
          Hmmmmm, that is usually the case with American lines. Those issues are not normal with pure European lines. They breed specifically for good temperment, health and longevity. No health issues coming from Novotny's lines or DDR.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          All the canines my agency acquires are European imports with European working lines. It is necessary for the type of work that we do. Not even Novotny's line are exempt from health issues. I am telling you from first hand experience, my friend used to work with Novonty's when he lived in Czech Republic. He brought two canines in 2010 straight from their kennel. He breed the pair once and some of my friends acquired some of the puppies. One of those puppies was put down at six years due to hip problems.

Not even the Malinois are exempt from hip problems, I have seen some with hip problems at eight years old. My point is that if he want a Malinois, he can still get one with European bloodlines that is suitable for family protection. I gave my parents one that met all their requirements, no issues with him and he is six years old now.

Comment

Originally posted by RF76 View Post
            All the canines my agency acquires are European imports with European working lines. It is necessary for the type of work that we do. Not even Novotny's line are exempt from health issues. I am telling you from first hand experience, my friend used to work with Novonty's when he lived in Czech Republic. He brought two canines in 2010 straight from their kennel. He breed the pair once and some of my friends acquired some of the puppies. One of those puppies was put down at six years due to hip problems.

Not even the Malinois are exempt from hip problems, I have seen some with hip problems at eight years old. My point is that if he want a Malinois, he can still get one with European bloodlines that is suitable for family protection. I gave my parents one that met all their requirements, no issues with him and he is six years old now.
            I think we might know some of the same people.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

That's awesome. I would love to hear some stories from your friend.

I was only making sure people didnt confuse health issues of European lines with their American counterparts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 07-13-2018, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
                Agree on breeding/European lines, but when getting a puppy you never know what genetics you are getting in that particular dog. We have had two calls in the past month from people who purchased American bred Mals and want to get rid of them because they can't handle them and don't have the time to work them or train them.

I've been I k9 for over 10 years now.
                You are 100% correct on not knowing what type of genetics you are getting when getting a puppy. My agency used to get them at 2 or 2 1/2 years old, now we get them at 12 thru 18 months.

My first K9 was a Malinois from Netherlands- He was 2 1/2 years old when I started training with him. Ten months after deployment he was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in one of his hind legs. Died during surgery when the vet was trying to amputate his leg.

Second K9 a Mal from Netherlands- He was 2 years old when I started with him. Retired him when he was 10 years old. He is 11 and a half year old and still living with me. No health issues so far but age is catching up to me at this point.

Third K9 a Mal from Czech Republic- He was a year and three months when I got him last summer. He is a monster at 83 lbs of pure muscle with too much drive when he is at work. Once he gets home, he is a totally different dog.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	425D6007-CA86-4AA3-BA35-71235ADF8E77.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	24547188

Wife and I just got a GSD from https://www.schwarzerhund.com/

Comment

Love my mal! I'd upload a pic but keeps saying error. I've also owned 2 GSD from Europe. My mal was imported from the Czech Republic and is great. Very high drive with lots of energy!

Comment

My mal
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post

Very true statement! I can recall several incidents in which the perps could care less about getting OC'ed, Tased or even shot. However, when the fur warrior showed up the perps couldn't get down on the ground fast enough. Wimps lol.

Comment

My GSDs, both breeds are great
                          Attached Files

Comment

Malinois are fantastic dogs if you have the time, space, and desire to train them. They can be very strong willed but are also eager to please and have energy for days. Living on a few hundred acres is a great start. It isn't just about getting enough exercise though as they really need to be given a job to keep their brain occupied. If you can find a training group near you they can be a great resource for both training issues and finding a dog. I loved having my Mals growing up. We did a lot of search and rescue training and scent work with them. I will have them again once I have the proper living situation for them. I will stick to my stubborn old Chesapeakes for now though.

Comment

This is Glock, they’re definitely not for your average person. These dogs have got to have a job. Luckily we live on a ranch so he stays busy. He can get some cattle out of the brush pretty quick lol.

A friend of ours is a K9 officer for the Cleveland County Sheriff Department in OK and keeps him in training every so often so that has been a big help. They're extremely smart dogs, too smart actually, but if a person decides to get one they better have plenty of time to work with them or it isn’t going to end up good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by CP121; 07-27-2018, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Beautiful K9 CP121.

Comment

Working...
                                X