No announcement yet.

Our Piece of Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All post are ready to be set. Will do that tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1126.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	24534879

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd seriously try to cover the fresh cuts on those live oaks to protect them from oak wilt. You're starting at the exact wrong time of year.
      Speaking from experience.

Comment

Once infected, it can spread to adjacent trees through the root system

Comment

Originally posted by clintbodie View Post
          I'd seriously try to cover the fresh cuts on those live oaks to protect them from oak wilt. You're starting at the exact wrong time of year.
          Speaking from experience.

Ah you got me there. I had it on my list of things to do. That list got in the hands of my 2 year old. Thanks for reminding me. Will do it today. Taking the cattle trailer to church to get the rest of the stuff for the entrance

Comment

When we built our house, I was 24 yrs old and it never crossed my mind to do a little research on cutting trees. The back half of my lot was overgrown with briars and scrub brush underneath a canopy of a few big live oaks and elms. My mission after closing at the end of February was clearing out all of that stuff and raising the height of everything to create a cool place for my boys to play, so I just went to work. By October the biggest live oak (easily 100+ yrs old) I had was dead. In the following couple of years, I lost several smaller trees that were under the drip line. Most recently I finally decided to take out another 100 yr old tree that has looked pitiful for the last several years.

So I was just trying to help out as I still get sick thinking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by clintbodie View Post
              When we built our house, I was 24 yrs old and it never crossed my mind to do a little research on cutting trees. The back half of my lot was overgrown with briars and scrub brush underneath a canopy of a few big live oaks and elms. My mission after closing at the end of February was clearing out all of that stuff and raising the height of everything to create a cool place for my boys to play, so I just went to work. By October the biggest live oak (easily 100+ yrs old) I had was dead. In the following couple of years, I lost several smaller trees that were under the drip line. Most recently I finally decided to take out another 100 yr old tree that has looked pitiful for the last several years.

So I was just trying to help out as I still get sick thinking about it.

No I completely get what you are saying. I couldn’t imagine that

Everything I cut so far has been pulled from the ground. There is one tree on the drive way that the back hoe took a chunk out of. FIL is going to treat it. We have a giant oak that will be in the back yard but I haven’t got over there yet because my brush piles are all under it.

Comment

Took the day off of work today since we got some good rain yesterday. Didn’t get to start til noon as I had to renew my license. 4 hours of solid burning and we are done! Convinced my father in law to use the tractor and push everything into the burn pile

Name:	IMG_1160.jpg
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	24535164

Name:	IMG_1159.jpg
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	24535165

Comment

Congrats I will be following along. Doing this exact same thing as we speak! My wife and I deeded off 2 acres of my father in laws place that adjoins the 15 my wife will get eventually. Already had my survey done, house plans finished, and they have set my electric pole. Banker told me today we are good to go on the amount and moving forward to order the appraisal! This will be our first home and a long term family home. Some are calling us crazy for building the first one, but we have looked for two years and, cant seem to find a house in this school district that was in our budget that was worth living in! Nothing extravagant little over 1900' with double carport, and 30'x30' shop with awnings.

Comment

Congrats....keep us posted with updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                      Congrats I will be following along. Doing this exact same thing as we speak! My wife and I deeded off 2 acres of my father in laws place that adjoins the 15 my wife will get eventually. Already had my survey done, house plans finished, and they have set my electric pole. Banker told me today we are good to go on the amount and moving forward to order the appraisal! This will be our first home and a long term family home. Some are calling us crazy for building the first one, but we have looked for two years and, cant seem to find a house in this school district that was in our budget that was worth living in! Nothing extravagant little over 1900' with double carport, and 30'x30' shop with awnings.

Sounds about the same as our situation. Going 1900ish living with 40x20 carport and 10x40 front porch.

We looked in our area and there was nothing that we liked. We are getting this built as our forever home and add on stuff as we need later.

I’ve busted my tail but it will be worth it in the end. Paperwork is with the bank, pole was supposed to be set but the storms delayed them so we are looking at mid April-may1 as start date.

I will keep updating this as we get started. Should finish my entrance on saturday

Comment

Finished the entrance today. Going to put some corners up on the short fronts to fill in the gap but man it looks good.

Name:	IMG_1168.jpg
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	24535260

Comment

Paperwork for bank is in. Signing the official stuff and the process shall begin.

Went out there Saturday to pick up roots and had some help from my wife and daughter. Started a small fire in the wind too

Comment

I love this thread! Thanks and keep the pics coming.

Comment

Did some more work yesterday at the entrance. Finished my H braces to keep the cows in and trimmed everything that was dead and over the driveway.

Culvert and 2 loads of drive way should be getting put in today and electric should be this week. Had a snag with communication with those guys but think we have it all squared away.

Mailed the Loan Contract back to the bank this morning. Numbers looked good for the construction part now it's time to shop for the permanent loan since the bank we are using for construction doesn't escrow.

Wife called the contractors yesterday and added some stuff that we will pay out of pocket that she wanted.

Moving right along and should have construction starting at the end of the month.

Comment

Electric came out and cut their lane. Looks good but have some stumps I am going to have to shave down

Cleared one side of the entrance of underbrush. One man wrecking crew. Was going to keep the white oaks in but wife wanted them out so cut those down as well...
                                Will use the shredder to clear the other side

Construction should start in 15 days

Comment

Working...
                                X