Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phil Mickelson - Strategic or Unethical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart move on his part, cost Phil 2, but might have saved him 2 also.

Comment

Disqualify? He broke rule 4-5....he hit a moving ball. He made a stroke and almost made it. He didn’t alter or deflect the ball, he putted it while moving. Not a violation of rule 1-2, which is not an automatic disqualification either....it’s a 2 shot penalty, unless in an extreme curcumstance where the player is deemed to be giving himself an obvious advantage. He made a 10, had he not hit it while moving, probably makes an 8 or a 9. He knows the rules as well as the officials and used the rules to get it over with. Probably not the best stage to do it on, but oh well the course was playing pretty rough at that point. I think it was more of a slap at the USGA for the set up.

Comment

If I hit a moving golf ball, I’d probably be in worse shape than if the ball rolled back to the tee. [emoji2]

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
          TW: Hey Lefty, remember that time I had the gallery
          move a 2 ton rock that was impeding my shot to the green ?

PM: Yep, sure do ......... (loose impediment my arse )

The first thing that came to mind for me also. Talk about travesty of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Gherkin05 View Post
            Exactly- well said. And he told Fox why he did it. I find it odd that folks want to throw stones. The guy is a hall of fame player, he made a choice, and he took the two strokes. Big deal, move on.
            I have seen high school kids do the same thing....my first for a pro.

Comment

Since I share the same disease he has I can only respect how hard it is to be able to even compete on that level...…….I don't discount his age either!
              Originally posted by 17ncs View Post

All Decisions on the Rules of Golf start with, " The Decision of The Committee is final". That means even if their decision is wrong it is correct. In my judgement, they should have looked at Rule 14, then used Rule 1-2 and DQ'ed him. If he argued then I would say you are getting ready to get hit with 33-7 so call the pilot and tell him to get ready to go West.
              They are weak.
              LOL...……..good one!
              Originally posted by RLB View Post
              Disqualify? He broke rule 4-5....he hit a moving ball. He made a stroke and almost made it. He didn’t alter or deflect the ball, he putted it while moving. Not a violation of rule 1-2, which is not an automatic disqualification either....it’s a 2 shot penalty, unless in an extreme curcumstance where the player is deemed to be giving himself an obvious advantage. He made a 10, had he not hit it while moving, probably makes an 8 or a 9. He knows the rules as well as the officials and used the rules to get it over with. Probably not the best stage to do it on, but oh well the course was playing pretty rough at that point. I think it was more of a slap at the USGA for the set up.
              Yep, pretty interesting stage! Could truly be a rules change coming VERY soon.

Comment

This is typical of the times. People make it all about themselves. Whether its morals, ethics or just common courtesy it doesn't seem to mean much anymore to some. People throw out the "to each his own", or "who am I to say someone did wrong" etc. But the bottom line is he violated a rule, so he was cheating compared to the standard of the game. Thats why he recieved PENALTY strokes. You get penalized when you do something wrong. To say he was just taking advantage of the rules is an oxymoron. He violated the rules and was penalized for it plain and simple. He cheated to better his position. Golf is a goofy game anyway, but its filled with tradition and etiquette. Its not really a true sport considering it takes no true athletic ability to play. But regardless, rules are rules and fair play exist in all sports or games. He broke a rule, deviated from normal or traditional play, and that's why he received a penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by tef View Post
                  This is typical of the times. People make it all about themselves. Whether its morals, ethics or just common courtesy it doesn't seem to mean much anymore to some. People throw out the "to each his own", or "who am I to say someone did wrong" etc. But the bottom line is he violated a rule, so he was cheating compared to the standard of the game. Thats why he recieved PENALTY strokes. You get penalized when you do something wrong. To say he was just taking advantage of the rules is an oxymoron. He violated the rules and was penalized for it plain and simple. He cheated to better his position. Golf is a goofy game anyway, but its filled with tradition and etiquette. Its not really a true sport considering it takes no true athletic ability to play. But regardless, rules are rules and fair play exist in all sports or games. He broke a rule, deviated from normal or traditional play, and that's why he received a penalty.
                  Oh my.

Comment

Originally posted by tef View Post
                    this is typical of the times. People make it all about themselves. Whether its morals, ethics or just common courtesy it doesn't seem to mean much anymore to some. People throw out the "to each his own", or "who am i to say someone did wrong" etc. But the bottom line is he violated a rule, so he was cheating compared to the standard of the game. Thats why he recieved penalty strokes. You get penalized when you do something wrong. To say he was just taking advantage of the rules is an oxymoron. He violated the rules and was penalized for it plain and simple. He cheated to better his position. Golf is a goofy game anyway, but its filled with tradition and etiquette. its not really a true sport considering it takes no true athletic ability to play. but regardless, rules are rules and fair play exist in all sports or games. He broke a rule, deviated from normal or traditional play, and that's why he received a penalty.
                    lol!

Comment

The course was an absolute joke. If I'm Phil, Im hoping to get DQ'd. The USGA let it get away from them again. Even the best cant play on concrete. As far as ethical, he used a rule to his advantage. He got 2 strokes, he wasnt going to get up and down in 5 if that ball rolls back down.

Comment

Phil has more money than a TV preacher. The course was impossible, he was sick of it.
                        He took his penalty with a “thank you Sir” and finished his round.
                        He knew he could not win and most likely didn’t care if they sent him home.

Still one of my hero’s

Comment

Working...
                        X