Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phil Mickelson - Strategic or Unethical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not watching anymore

I'm not watching golf anymore becuase of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
      So, ethics only come into play when the stakes are high? Ehhh, gonna have to disagree. As my HS coach always told me, “There is no such thing as situational ethics. You either are or your aren’t!”
      Using rules governing sporting activities to your advantage is absolutely not unethical.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
        Using rules governing sporting activities to your advantage is absolutely not unethical.
        Never said it was. I addressed the comment that ethics don’t come into play in sports because “it’s just a game”. That is what I 100% disagree with.

Comment

Okay, in a game follow the rules: use them to your advantage every chance you get because they will surely be imposed upon you to your disadvantage if possible (ask Dustin Johnson about grounding the club in the waste bunker a couple of years ago).

In life, follow the Golden Rule. Period.

Comment

A couple guys on the golf channel sure didn’t like what he did just because of who he is . He is freaking human give the guy a break they basically said they would expect something like this out of Daly which he did it in 99 but not Phil he is a respected of the game he is human . Just like Tiger getting arrested for a DUI at the end of the day these guys are human and that’s what the public eye don’t understand some times !!

Comment

I was shocked when I saw it but I also know Phil did it on purpose to not have to go back down the hill and deal with pitching back to a stupid pin location. I watched a lot of the coverage and interviews before the tournament started. All the USGA officials were saying there is no way the course will get away from them this year like it did in 2004. I don't think the conditions got away from them but the pin locations were a joke on a few holes. If those locations were a few more feet away from the edges there isn't a problem. Back to Phil, the penalty for hitting a moving ball is two strokes period. He knew the rule and decided to take the penalty. I don't look at him any differently. The USGA looks stupid....again.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                I'm not watching golf anymore becuase of this.
                You...you...you’re kidding right?

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian Reaper View Post
                  Jack or Arnold ever do this? I think not. His intent was clearly to alter the path of the ball and use it to his advantage. USGA is weak.

All Decisions on the Rules of Golf start with, " The Decision of The Committee is final". That means even if their decision is wrong it is correct. In my judgement, they should have looked at Rule 14, then used Rule 1-2 and DQ'ed him. If he argued then I would say you are getting ready to get hit with 33-7 so call the pilot and tell him to get ready to go West.
                  They are weak.

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                  I'm guessing they water the course tonight.
                  A bunch!

So, ethics only come into play when the stakes are high? Ehhh, gonna have to disagree. As my HS coach always told me, “There is no such thing as situational ethics. You either are or your aren’t!”
                  Exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
                    If the officials actually had a playable course then it may have never happened. I enjoy watching good shots stick around the green where they are supposed to be. Not see great shots slide on an ice highway and run off the greens. If the course is not watered down then Sunday will be just as bad as Saturday was.
                    Amen bro..........I can see poor play every day. I like to see these guys' talent.

Comment

Every rule in golf is an arbitrary one. Playing within the rules is fair game.

Comment

Phil Mickelson - Strategic or Unethical?

Golf? [emoji102]

Man I haven’t watched much golf lately. Sounds like I’m missing out! [emoji12]

Skinny
                        Last edited by Skinny; 06-16-2018, 11:27 PM.

Comment

TW: Hey Lefty, remember that time I had the gallery
                          move a 2 ton rock that was impeding my shot to the green ?

PM: Yep, sure do ......... (loose impediment my arse )

Comment

Those watching the US Open likely saw Phil putt a moving ball, as it was rolling off the green (he was penalized 2 strokes). When asked about it, he said it was a strategic decision. Assuming it was a conscious decision, what are your thoughts?

Was Phil wrong or did he simply use the rules to his (perceived) advantage?

Do you believe that we are called to follow the letter of the law/rule or the spirit of the law/rule?
                            Well, to answer your question....both! It was a strategic decision in that he knew what he was doing. It was also unethical, in that he knew what he was doing. A little stroke of genius. Don't be surprised if more players don't start doing it and also a rule change maybe in order.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                              Well, to answer your question....both! It was a strategic decision in that he knew what he was doing. It was also unethical, in that he knew what he was doing. A little stroke of genius. Don't be surprised if more players don't start doing it and also a rule change maybe in order.

Exactly- well said. And he told Fox why he did it. I find it odd that folks want to throw stones. The guy is a hall of fame player, he made a choice, and he took the two strokes. Big deal, move on.

Comment

He took a 10 on the hole. If he let's it roll he likely makes at worst an 8. This wasn't done for any advantage. It was a no fair, I'm taking my ball and going home moment from a Hall of Famer on the biggest stage. The bogey putt was terrible.

Comment

Working...
                                X