View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #16
canny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdawg1 View Post
Have fed 20% sheep/goat pellets for the last couple years in the hill country, deer hammer it. In comparing labels side by side with 20% deer pellets from the same mill the goat pellets had a slightly higher fat content and about half the vitamin A content, only detectable difference from the labels. The goat/sheep pellets were larger diameter than the deer pellets but the deer chewed them up just the same.

Just my opinion and am sure many will disagree, but if my deer were in a pen and eating nothing but protein I could be concerned about differences in trace minerals but am feeding free range deer and the pellets are only part of their diet.

Am also interested in where to get 16% cattle feed for $3.50/bag as I will feed it in a heartbeat if I can get it for that. The sheep/goat pellets I have been buying run about $1.50 per bag cheaper than the deer pellets, around $7/bag.
Places that have deer in pens, do not feed just protein. Their feed is a balanced feed that meets all the deers needs when it comes to nutrition. Thi

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdin4horns View Post
I think we still need to keep in mind this is supplimental wildlife feed. I dont think changing the deers' suplimental feed diet (reducing copper/mineral content) would have an adverse affect on their digestion or health.
They are still wild animals who are not exclusively feeding from deer feeders. Before automatic deer feeders came about, the deer didnt have copper deficiencies, right???
It sounds like right now the best option is either this cattle feed (if we can clarify the cost and location) or the Red Label protein.
True that it is supplemental feed, however during high stress periods especially in the summer they will consume a large amount of feed, assuming you dont have good spring/summer plots.

This comes into play because when deer are stressed their antler production goes down due to having to maintain other body functions. If you feed addresses these functions with the proper minerals and nutrients then there shouldn't be a noticeable decrease in antler growth during the stress periods.

In regards to the automatic feeders and copper deficiencies. No deer did not nor do they have copper deficiencies due to automatic feeders. This is because corn, i'm assuming, doesnt have any nutritional value for deer except carbohydrates.
canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top