New Chippewa snake boots. Care tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Chippewa snake boots. Care tips?

Finally bought my first pair of quality snake boots. I got some zip up Chippewas. Anybody got any good tips for taking care of the leather on them? I’d like these suckers to last! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
    Finally bought my first pair of quality snake boots. I got some zip up Chippewas. Anybody got any good tips for taking care of the leather on them? I’d like these suckers to last! Thanks!

Only thing I would have recommended is going with Justin vs Chippewa.... I switch and will never go back

Comment

Originally posted by dstrong View Post
      Only thing I would have recommended is going with Justin vs Chippewa.... I switch and will never go back
      That helps the Op and was EXACTLY what he was looking for

I'd buy some Mink Oil, apply it and then heat with a hair dryer on high. This will make them more supple and really preserve the leather.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post

I'd buy some Mink Oil, apply it and then heat with a hair dryer on high. This will make them more supple and really preserve the leather.
        Good info, can also set in sunshine on a bright day for a few hours after oiling.

Comment

They are great boots, I have beat the heck out of mine for 5 years and they are still in good shape. I wipe them down with mink oil once a year.

Comment

As a leatherworker, this ^^ is the best advice.

Make sure to clean them well and allow them to totally dry before applying the mink oil. You can heat them up a little before applying the oil. Once it's applied heat them up with a hair dryer again. Make sure the oil penetrates the stitching, but don't over heat them. Just enough to get the mink oil to melt again and "run" (you'll know what I'm talking about when you actually do it).

After heating them, allow them to totally cool. Remove the excess with an old sock and brush them with a boot brush.

Do this once before and once after each hunting season and they'll last many years

Comment

good info here, well most of it. Gonna oil mine tonight, my leather is looking a little worn.

Comment

Never read anything about heating up your boots by any manufacturers boot care instructions.....
                Last edited by Traildust; 09-07-2018, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                  https://www.sensibleshoe.com/shop/ac...itioner-paste/

Never read anything about heating up your boots by any manufacturers boot care instructions.....
                  No sir, but the heat allows the grain and pores of the leather to open up and absorb the oil. We're not talking 250°, but enough to melt the mink oil. Ever left a can of mink oil in your truck in the summer? It melts. Ever left your boots in your truck in the summer? They don't melt

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
                    As a leatherworker, this ^^ is the best advice.

Make sure to clean them well and allow them to totally dry before applying the mink oil. You can heat them up a little before applying the oil. Once it's applied heat them up with a hair dryer again. Make sure the oil penetrates the stitching, but don't over heat them. Just enough to get the mink oil to melt again and "run" (you'll know what I'm talking about when you actually do it).

After heating them, allow them to totally cool. Remove the excess with an old sock and brush them with a boot brush.

Do this once before and once after each hunting season and they'll last many years

Good info. Gonna have to do that to mine

Comment

This is what I do. Also will wipe down with a good saddle soap once or twice a yr. I wear mine almost weekly at the ranch and put them through hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
                        No sir, but the heat allows the grain and pores of the leather to open up and absorb the oil. We're not talking 250°, but enough to melt the mink oil. Ever left a can of mink oil in your truck in the summer? It melts. Ever left your boots in your truck in the summer? They don't melt
                        It's your story, tell it how you want to

I'll just go with what Meindl, Justin and Red Wing recommend....since they made my boots.

Comment

I've tried it all (mink oil, silicon dressing, sno-seal, etc...) the best stuff hands down is Obenauf's. All natural and doesn't contain petrol chemicals or animal fats that can lead to deteriorating stitching. Lets the leather breath naturally.

Obenaufs quality leather conditioning products are guaranteed to be the best treatment for your leather!

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys!

Comment

I put sno-seal on mine. I got them hot with a hair dryer and would rub the seal on and warm it up so it would soak into the hot leather.

Comment

Working...
                              X