What's your management plan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
    That comes into play with how much Land you have or the size of the fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kinds what I have been trying to say.

Nice avatar

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
      Does serve a different purpose in your deer herd than bucks, that’s why. And yes I do have an idea how he will turn out.

What makes you think a deer I call a scrub is ever going to get to 120?

Cruisers can be patterned too. Lots of times they cruise the same way at the same time once they get to a certain age.
      Predict the future you can just by looking at a bucks headgear?...I don't believe that for a minute.

Well, to answer your question, I don't know, that's why we are having this discussion. We have a "scrub" 6 point (your terms), but he has a monster of a body. His antlers are fairly large, so he is exhibiting some characteristics in his body size that are attractive. I just think it is very narrow thinking when you judge a buck by antlers only.

If you have a secret on how to pattern Cruisers, I would like to know it. Your secret will be safe with me.
      The area I have on my lease is a "doorway" into that area and I get cruisers coming through. One long tined 8 ended up staying over from last year...he is probably 4-5. Well I haven't seen him since early Nov.

Comment

Awesome reading. Keep the good stuff coming

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
          Predict the future you can just by looking at a bucks headgear?...I don't believe that for a minute.

Well, to answer your question, I don't know, that's why we are having this discussion. We have a "scrub" 6 point (your terms), but he has a monster of a body. His antlers are fairly large, so he is exhibiting some characteristics in his body size that are attractive. I just think it is very narrow thinking when you judge a buck by antlers only.

If you have a secret on how to pattern Cruisers, I would like to know it. Your secret will be safe with me.
          The area I have on my lease is a "doorway" into that area and I get cruisers coming through. One long tined 8 ended up staying over from last year...he is probably 4-5. Well I haven't seen him since early Nov.

You want long tails, sort em that way.

Some deer cruise around all year (very hard to pattern and smallest population)... some deer are homebodies(easy)... some deer summer in one place and winter in another...(easy)... some deer move summer homes every year but winter in the same place...(easy if you are winter)... etc etc..

Depending on your acreage size, you just need to focus time when and where he started showing up last year. If his range moved, and you don't have access, well thats the way the cookie crumbles.

Comment

Lots of great information being passed here...Keep it coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
              You want long tails, sort em that way.

Some deer cruise around all year (very hard to pattern and smallest population)... some deer are homebodies(easy)... some deer summer in one place and winter in another...(easy)... some deer move summer homes every year but winter in the same place...(easy if you are winter)... etc etc..

Depending on your acreage size, you just need to focus time when and where he started showing up last year. If his range moved, and you don't have access, well thats the way the cookie crumbles.
              There was a big ten that had split brows that showed up Thanksgiving in 2016, worked a scrape. Didn't see him again till this year about the same time. He ran off 2 of my target bucks. He hung around for about a week, now they are all gone. 2 weeks before Christmas, 2 cams, 1 pic of s doe.

They have food, water, cover, I do not over pressure it. Have no idea what happened.

Im guessing a doe was in season, he ran off the competition now they are all gone

Comment

Working...
              X