Maybe I'm just not tough enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I'm just not tough enough

I bought a Black Widow calf hair tab and Bear Paw summer shooting glove from Kustom King. First I will say that the tab has a double split and I don't like how it doesn't protect my ring finger well. However after a couple of rounds I did shoot okay with it. I actually shoot better with the new glove.

That said my Bear Paw speed glove has leather covered my some sort of nylon. It protects my fingers well. The summer glove just the nylon. Although I shoot better with the summer glove after about two dozen arrows I'm back in the speed glove. Just not enough thickness. Which also makes me shoot better because I can feel the string better. I need to toughen up I guess.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

You wuss. Really though, why do you need to feel your string? I use a PAK tab with two layers of leather. I don't want to feel the string. If it's one layer across with no dimples between your fingers then you will have a much faster and cleaner release. It helped Bisch when I finally got him to try it. Of course, he's hard headed as a goat.

Comment

I was extremely disappointed in the Bearpaw summer glove. I took mine and tossed it into the has been box after only a dozen or so shots. I like the concept but the fingers have maybe 65% of the protection of a regular Bearpaw glove. My fingers were stinging enough on the first couple of shots to know that it wasn't going to work for me.

Comment

I'm hoping my fingers will toughen up some. I shoot split so a glove or split tab is needed but I couldn't see in the pic that the Widow tab had separate finger pieces for both lower fingers.

Comment

I wish that I could use a tab. I finally figured out that the "v" in the string is raking the outside of the index and ring fingers. I keep my fingers sanded down from restoring bows. I sanded an entire bow yesterday and the first and second fingers are pretty tender today. Enough so that I may not be able to shoot much for a few days.

Comment

I constantly have cuts, scrapes and punctures from cables and mechanical work but I've always loved by the mantra of no pain no gain.

Comment

If my super glove ever wears out I dont know what I will replace it with.

Comment

I have shot thousands of arrows with no issues but this weekend at Chester, using the same Eichler Tab I've always used, I worked up a blister on the tip of my ring finger. The Eichler tab is pretty thick too so I don't know what's up, maybe I'm doing something different....

Comment

I really like my Bear Paw summer glove

Comment

I will keep shooting it and trying to toughen up. The tab though will be donated or tossed.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                      You wuss. Really though, why do you need to feel your string? I use a PAK tab with two layers of leather. I don't want to feel the string. If it's one layer across with no dimples between your fingers then you will have a much faster and cleaner release.
                      I'm 100% with Draco on this one.
                      Minus the wuss part.

It took me a long time to convince myself to stick with a tab, but once I did I was darn happy for it the switch.

I don't have to/don't really want to feel the string.
                      Once I locate my fingers onto the string they aren't going to move, so there's no need to feel it.

I want to feel my anchor.

Feeling my anchor with a glove was difficult if not impossible.
                      Unless I cut the ends out of the finger stalls, which helped, but still not overly consistent.

A properly fit tab will give you ample finger protection, yet still allow your fingers to consistently feel your anchor spots with them.
                      A consistent anchor is crucial to consistent shooting.

Rick

Comment

I hear ya Rick. That's what I like about the summer glove as well. Finger tips are thinner and with my anchor point makes it easier to be consistent. I will probably try a another style of tab. I've tried shooting three under and bit just feels like have no control.

I've gotten soft in my older self. Supervising made me soft. Now just seasonal work makes it worse. I am a wuss compared to days gone by.

Comment

DRT, I think you are your own worse enemy. LOL I should know those thoughts all to well. It's a mark of a man who has a need to be the best in his abilities. I always felt as though if it was good enough for me then no one else should be able to complain. BEYOND THAT>
                          I shoot the regular Bear Paw glove. It's really thick, and I sweat in it, but since going to that glove I do not wear the blister between my fingers anymore. I tried a few different tabs. For whatever reason I hit my nose and cause a raw spot or my cheek with the ends of the tab?? My primary anchor point is the back of my jaw bone and the knuckle of my thumb.
                          T go with what Rick said, Once I have my fingers on the string, I quit thinking and trying to feel it. I leave my hook and draw. Are you having issues with alternate finger pressure? That would be a reason to want to feel the string.. Maybe?

Comment

I shoot with a glove and I like to be able to feel the string even though I might not need to feel the string. I've tried the gloves with cordovan, but just couldn't get used to not feeling the string. I just don't like using a tab. Before any of you tell me to give the tab a chance, for the 15 years I shot a compound I used a tab, so I'm familiar with a tab.

Comment

Not sure what alternate finger pressure means. As far as I know I'm not having any problems. Just wanted to have a second hot weather glove and try the tab thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X