A few protein questions for a newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got on a new place outside junction and thinking of supplemental feeding. I know a couple others feed but want to make sure it's worth it. It's right at 2000acres low fence but I'd really just like to keep deer in our area. I called L&E in llano and their 17/17 is $11.60 a bag. Good? Bad? I'm not real sure. Any experience mixing corn with it?
    Is there a particular blend that attract axis more? I know alfalfa but anything else?
    Thanks for the help. We really like the place just want to keep animals around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you already got a feeder(s)? How often do you go out to the place in the non-hunting times?

Just asking because you're consumption is probably going to be pretty high.
    Last edited by 686; 03-20-2017, 11:15 AM.

Comment

I would not feed the 17/17 but the 20-12 L/E instead. What is the deer density? If you are going to feed free choice then buy a large enough feeder to cut back on your trips to the lease. I would not mix any corn with it due to coon/turkey/bird issues especially if others are feeding protein already. If it were me I would buy a timered or timed release protein style feeder that would allow you to keep feed out till your next scheduled trip. Alfalfa is really great for attracting axis. Is there any livestock on the place?

Comment

2000-3000 lb free choice with 20%. Places around there will charge $75 and come fill up all feeders with their truck. Well worth it IMO

Comment

We go about every other weekend. We just got on the place so I haven't got cameras or anything out. I have a line on 2 smaller feeders, an 800lb and a 500lb for pretty cheap but not sure how long they'd last

Comment

When I hunted Junction a guy on our lease put up a protein feeder. It was 350 lb capacity. Once the axis found it they would empty it in about a week.

Comment

Originally posted by cpr1979 View Post
              We go about every other weekend. We just got on the place so I haven't got cameras or anything out. I have a line on 2 smaller feeders, an 800lb and a 500lb for pretty cheap but not sure how long they'd last

You can put one of The Hammer feeding systems on the 800 lb one and use it. That way you will have feed out till you get back. You can also mix or blend feed types...pellets, corn, peas and/or soybeans to your liking to see what works the best for you or just feed straight protein. You can still have a corn feeder also. Neither of those feeders will probably be large enough capacity to handle a lot of deer in a drought or extremely dry period of time.

Comment

I have one 500lb feeder now. I was going to put the 800 at the stand Location where the axis are more frequent. Then a 500lb, one at the other 2 stand locations. They will be a few hundred yards apart. Will it be a wasted effort?

Comment

There isn't any livestock of any kind on the place

Comment

I have one 500lb feeder now. I was going to put the 800 at the stand Location where the axis are more frequent. Then a 500lb, one at the other 2 stand locations. They will be a few hundred yards apart. Will it be a wasted effort?

Put a large square or round bale of alfalfa at one spot for the axis and timered protein at the other for the whitetail.

Comment

If you go every other weekend you should be able to accomplish your goals with those feeders for now but bigger is always better!

Comment

Go see Tom, the owner of West Bear Creek Feed Store in Junction. My place is up 83 north of town, but they fill my feeders for me when I call them. They have bulk feed for a bit cheaper and bags too. The Junction Warehouse has some feeders that hold about 1,300 pounds of feed for a great price, they are very similar to the ones Krivoman sells (I believe that the same guy welds these).

Tim

Comment

Working...
                        X