Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    a national religion would mean that government controlled places (like schools) would have a religious preference. doesnt it?

i say merry Christmas too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    As in the government cannot require you to be catholic, Jewish, etc.

Comment

I agree with an above mentioned....just always assumed it kinda lumped all the Nov-Dec holidays into one comment...Happy Holidays!

Comment

how would you feel about a school making your kid participate in a Hanukkah program?
        I know of one school district in Texas that has Hanukkah & Islamic (Ramadan) celebration/recognition weeks (and by name), but any reference to Christmas must be labeled as "Winter"; i.e. "Class Winter Party"..."Winter Programs"..."Winter Songs"...etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Horse View Post
          I know of one school district in Texas that has Hanukkah & Islamic (Ramadan) celebration/recognition weeks (and by name), but any reference to Christmas must be labeled as "Winter"; i.e. "Class Winter Party"..."Winter Programs"..."Winter Songs"...etc.

That’s totally ****ed up. What district?

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Munson View Post
            That’s totally ****ed up. What district?
            Google it & do a little searching...you'll be shocked...

A few of my friend's wives who teacher were basically told to say nothing about it...

Comment

Google it & do a little searching...you'll be shocked...

A few of my friend's wives who teacher were basically told to say nothing about it...
              What are the consequences of mentioning the district on here?

Comment

I know some school districts have had such a problem they published religious handbooks...it's the loopholes that are the issue...some "groups' look for them to exploit & others don't.

Here's one from Austin ISD

Comment

Oh & please read what HB 308 says before thinking that protects you 100%..

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                    I've never thought of happy holidays as not christian, I always thought of it as a catch all for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New years.
                    Same here

Comment

"The student understands the concept of diversity
                      within unity in Texas. The student is expected to
                      explain how the diversity of Texas is reflected in a
                      variety of cultural activities, celebrations, and
                      performances; describe how people from various
                      racial, ethnic, and religious groups attempt to
                      maintain their cultural heritage while adapting to the
                      larger Texas culture; [and] identify examples of
                      Spanish influence and the influence of other cultures
                      on Texas such as place names, vocabulary, religion,
                      architecture, "

Do you think the teachers head would explode if a student explained that there are only three races in the world?

Comment

this is ridiculous. which district is it? id be interested in reading more about this.

Comment

I looked around a little bit but couldn't find anything about a Texas district who restricted the use of the word Christmas during the holidays. Can you just name the district?

Comment

..some "groups' look for them to exploit & others don't.
                            Its not apples to apples, but that is how Nativity scenes got banned -

In 2011, a number of atheists applied for space in what the builders of the Christian-themed scenes believed was an attempt to keep them and other religious groups from installing their displays. The atheists opposed the installation of nativity scenes in a public park, saying it was a violation of the constitutional separation of church and state.

Santa Monica city leaders responded by creating a lottery system to hand out space in the park for the displays, and the atheists won most spots.

With creators of the nativity scenes and atheists vowing to submit large numbers of applications, city officials decided to prohibit displays in the park.

The Santa Monica Nativity Scenes Committee, a group of residents responsible for creating the nativity scenes, sued the city in 2012, accusing it of violating their rights to free speech under the U.S. Constitution.

A U.S. District judge later ruled the city had acted with neutrality when it prohibited all displays, prompting the committee to appeal. On Thursday, a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed the lower court’s judgment and ruled in favor of the city.

Comment

so basically, you want it to go back to the good ol days when the only religion represented at public places was Christianity.

i would like that as well, but i also realize that this is a nation with religious freedoms, and their is a separation of church and state.

no, not really

Comment

Go Trump!

BTW - If a person doesn't understand "separation of church and state" they simply don't want to. It's not rocket science what they meant.

Comment

Working...
                                X