The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drube75 View Post
    Very nice. Ive got 2nd season 16B. Time is closing in!
    You should do VERY well!! Bulls are in great shape and you should hit the rut in time!!! Congrats on a great hunt!! Have fun and be safe!! Lookin forward to that 380 bull you will be knockin down!!!

Comment

Wish I could draw a 16a tag! Heck I wish I could draw any tag. Good luck to you guys in 16, I will be in 15 3rd season cant wait!!!

Comment

Just got this in my email. Oh boy, a week away from 7 days hunting in NM. Unit 58. Can't wait to beat the heat, hang out with good friends and get the heck off the ranch before the craziness of whitetail season begins. The bull in the picture was photographed on the same ranch last season and he was not killed.

Comment

Great bull horitexan. We leave on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
            Leaving tomorrow for southern Colorado for a week of Elk hunting in a Wilderness area. Just finished packing my pack and I think I have it down pretty good. Without water or my bow it weights 26 lbs !
            You headed to the South San Juan? We'll be up there next week.

Comment

Originally posted by NMStickFlinger3 View Post
              You should do VERY well!! Bulls are in great shape and you should hit the rut in time!!! Congrats on a great hunt!! Have fun and be safe!! Lookin forward to that 380 bull you will be knockin down!!!
              Man, you just got my heart racing. A buddy of mine just knocked down a 6x7 in 21 last night!

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
                Just got this in my email. Oh boy, a week away from 7 days hunting in NM. Unit 58. Can't wait to beat the heat, hang out with good friends and get the heck off the ranch before the craziness of whitetail season begins. The bull in the picture was photographed on the same ranch last season and he was not killed.

I saw the video of that bull. There is a hunter literally feet away from that bull on the right in the bushes. He couldn't get a shot before the bull busted him.

Comment

On our way home from Dolores, CO. Group of six men, came home with 2 cows and 1 4x5 Bull off San Juan NF. I took the bull with a heart shot at 40 yards. I'll post pics and story when I get home. Saw a ton of bears and should have picked up a bear tag.

Good luck to those on their way up to thin air.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                    On our way home from Dolores, CO. Group of six men, came home with 2 cows and 1 4x5 Bull off San Juan NF. I took the bull with a heart shot at 40 yards. I'll post pics and story when I get home. Saw a ton of bears and should have picked up a bear tag.

Good luck to those on their way up to thin air.
                    Congrats!

Comment

Congrats Sackett! Were they bugling much?

Comment

Alright folks, I'm leaving for my very first elk hunt in 48hrs. Not only is it my first, it's a DIY public land. I am calling upon the green screen for any and all advice you have. Techniques, patterns to look for, ANYTHING!!! Also, I am in 16B New Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                          Congrats Sackett! Were they bugling much?
                          Very little. Yesterday evening was the first time we heard a good chorus of bugles. Before that, I may have heard a single bugle. Beautiful country. Miss the family, but it sure does stink getting back to the heat & humidity. At least the cracked hands and nose will heal up.

Comment

Congrats Sackett!

Good luck drube75!
                            In the Gila, run and gun in the mornings sit water in the evenings. Sitting water may not be that fun, but it's probably the best way to kill a BIG bull there.
                            Good luck sleeping. With this full moon they will probably be screaming all night. Take ear plugs!

Comment

Sackett, what were the temps like at the altitude you were hunting?

Comment

Originally posted by drube75 View Post
                                Alright folks, I'm leaving for my very first elk hunt in 48hrs. Not only is it my first, it's a DIY public land. I am calling upon the green screen for any and all advice you have. Techniques, patterns to look for, ANYTHING!!! Also, I am in 16B New Mexico.
                                Go to page one on this thread and read the whole thing. That should give you a great starting point. I have never been to 16 B but I know it is a good unit so now all you have to do is work hard and you will find them. Most good NM units are that good. If you just put the work in you will find the Elk.

Comment

Working...
                                X