Africa vs Texas -Something to think about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hombre View Post
    Uganda was high on my list to hunt those monster buffalo but my contact there got run out. Ethiopia is a front runner for the east African plains game. Nine trips and I still get excited as a 10 year old kid on his first deer hunt.
    I've had several friends go with me and they all said they knew they would get homesick after a few days. All said it was the only trip they had been on where they had no desire to return home. One friend told me he never missed his wife one time and we were there 21 days. I did notice he was watching the housekeeper awful close on about day 14. lol
    I made good friend on my one hunt to south Africa but when you compare to zim or Botswana, it's apples to oranges. Hope I didn't hurt anyone's feeling. If you liked south Africa, you owe it to yourself to make a trip to zim or better, Botswana when they open up maybe next year.

we are looking at Botswana or Mozambique.

what are the differences compared to SA?

Comment

To me, hunting Africa is about an "adventure vacation". Its not a trip to the meat market. I would LOVE to bring all that delicious meat back, but I can't. When I go on a family ski trip over Christmas this year I will likely end up spending about $7K. I will not be bringing any snow back with me . I will be having a wonderful experience with family and friends and making memories of a lifetime. The photos I take will be my "trophies". I will have fun and give my wife and kids memories that will never leave them and they will cherish for life. Same with Africa. The meat would be nice, but the trip is SO much more than that. Like Oscar mentioned, knowing the meat is not wasted is a great peace of mind. I am contributing to conservation by providing protein to the locals, who in turn will not need to poach. The orphanages will also benefit. The experience shared with family and friends is priceless. The new friendships made at camp with new friends also has a ton of value to me. What's funny is most those who are concerned with the meat will pay way more than that on a deer lease year after year. Why? Most will shoot 1 or 2 deer. That's a lot of money for not a lot of meat. No, you pay it so you can get away and enjoy the experience. The meat is just a bonus. Like I said, its an adventure vacation to me.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post

I think he is referring to it being more "wild". Less fences. I'm just guessing because I've never been to anywhere besides SA. I know my PH is based out of SA, but spends a lot of time with clients hunting those countries. He recently got back from 3 weeks in Mozambique. Think it depends on the client and the adventure and species they are after. I'll have to ask him what his thoughts are.

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
          To me, hunting Africa is about an "adventure vacation". Its not a trip to the meat market. I would LOVE to bring all that delicious meat back, but I can't. When I go on a family ski trip over Christmas this year I will likely end up spending about $7K. I will not be bringing any snow back with me . .
          don't let facts get in the way of a good argument

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post

If I make it back, I will go with this outfit. Enjoy.

marromeusafaris.com/?page_id=1928

Comment

Originally posted by chrigging View Post
              Well I leave Friday for my first safari in SA so I will have to report back!
              Who are you flying with? Myself and a group of hunters are heading to Sa with Delta today.

Comment

Those prices for Texas killed animals didn’t include meat processing costs. Idk how much it costs to process a wildebeest, but I’m sure it’s around the same price as a calf. Then, 3 more animals... I’ve never had 2 deer, a pig and a calf cut and wrapped. I’m sure it’s a pretty penny!

And the ones who are whining about the plane trip, stop making excuses! Yeah, it sucks, but.... How many of y’all drive from Dallas to south Texas? How long does that take? Or drive from Houston to Wyoming for an elk hunt? Have you ever drove from San Antonio to disney? It ain’t that much longer. Leave here, land in Paris or Germany or London, have a few hours to walk around, get something to eat, have a few drinks, then get back on the plane and go to sleep. Few hours later, you’re there!

Nothing like Africa. I went on my once in a lifetime trip to Africa, with Landrover, back in 2008. At the time, I was planning an archery elk hunt in New Mexico. 5 days hunting, food, guide, lodge for $7500. 1 animal. Not to mention the @$$ time in the truck to drive to and from Houston to Grants, New Mexico. That’s about 15-17 hours (close to the same time it takes to get to Africa!) Soooooo, after comparing prices and value, didn’t take long to change my mind! Plane ticket, 2 impala, 2 wart hogs, 1 wildebeest, 1 female springbok, 7 days hunting, all inclusive food, lodge, laundry, alcohol, tips, 1 shoulder mount, 3 skulls, 1 rug, shipping to get taxidermy home, less than $7000.

I’m making plans for trip #4 to Africa! Nowhere else will you see the numbers of so many different animals. It’s not like a HF in Harper that has a kudu and a zebra and a couple impala. You will see herds of springbok, hartebeest, Cape buffalo, monkeys, giraffe, waterbuck, wildebeest, impala, blesbok, ALL THE SAME DAY! The food, people, culture, sights, smells, experiences are unbelievable! The hunting is amazing. Dollar for dollar, there is no comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
                  Well, for one, you simply can't recreate the experience and atmosphere.
                  That says it all right there..... I agree with rladner and the others who have been that convey this simple sentiment.... You go to Africa for the overall experience, not to check the boxes on a list of exotic trophies....

The plane ride does kinda suck, but I would gladly do it once a week now knowing what awaits me once I get there. Even still, the journey is all part of the experience. The culture, the food, the people, the landscapes, and of course the animals you will encounter in Africa do not compare to anywhere else you can go. And, I have been very fortunate to have been around quite a bit.

Add in the value and what you can get dollar for dollar compared to any other outfitted hunt, and an African hunt stands alone... That's why my wife and I have scraped, saved, and worked countless overtime hours to have hunted & fished Africa 6 times in the last 15 years, and we plan to go back as often as we can afford to...

I really encourage anyone thinking about it to make it happen at least once before you leave this Earth. The only problem is that you will be making your plans for your second safari even before the first one is over....

Comment

Different strokes for different folks.

Hoping to make it over there in the next few years myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X