Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three under vs. split finger (Beginners Guide Volume I)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finger shooting

Doesnt the way your bow is tillered have an effect on the way you shoot

Comment

thanks for the post

Comment

Is it true that in the TBoT championship you have to shoot split fingers? Refering to Texas State championship also.

Comment

Wayne, At the Texas State Longbow Championship (which is NOT a TBoT shoot), they used to have a rule that you could not shoot 3-under. They changed that rule and 3-under is now allowed as long as one finger touches the nock.

3-under is a llowed al all TBoT shoots.

Comment

Why is it I shoot good split finger with one of my bows and not the other. the other bow I shoot better three under.

Comment

You too??!! Hi Chew ... how's it going, brother?

I just made the decision to go traditional too. Haven't ordered a bow yet but I will soon. I got a lot of great advice here in the last couple of days. Just like the guys and gals around the campfire, lots of great people here. They are willing to bend over backwards to help and get us newbies shooting straight. I know I'm gonna have lots of fun here. See ya in the LDP's brother. may God bless.

Comment

I say whatever works best for you works... split or 3 under. I don't cross fingers when playing golf and some people think thats strange, but it feels right to me. But that may be a bad example since I suck at golf.

Comment

Good post! I can shoot both but prefer split.

Comment

I don't find much difference between the two, except that split finger is slightly easier to keep the arrow on the string.

I shoot 3-under because I touch the feather tip to my nose now, and that helps me quite a bit.

Comment

I had a bow as a teen and shot split, but was never serious about it. I just got back into it recently, and I've gone back and forth trying to figure out what my eyes and hands like. I have some friends who shoot one way and some the other, all seasoned bowhunters and good archers, so I don't feel pressured either way, other than by what I've read about tournament rules seeming to favor (at least until recently) split. I really want to like split, it just seems "right", but for whatever reason I shoot better three under and it's more comfortable for me.

I recently bought my youngest daughter a bow, and it initially had no nock point on it. So, I surmised, here is one more reason to shoot split: in case I ever need to shoot an unfamiliar bow without a nock point (like... I'm stuck on an island and have to make one out of yew and sinew, LOL). Split would help stabilize the arrow on a suboptimal string. So once again I tried for a couple of days to just shoot split. I can do it, but three under still feels better and my groups are tighter when I shoot three under. Go figure.

I'm left eye dominant but right-handed, and shoot rightie. I aim instinctively, and since I'm a newbie I feel like I probably need to commit one way or the other in order to gel properly.

Comment

I shoot 3 under. I started at split and gap shooting. Then I went to three under and pure instinctive. I's say check out rick welch on shooting instinctive, it worked out great for me. I anchor to my ear and the fletching touching my nose. the only times I've had issues was then there was a dip in the ground or if the target was just past a small rise and I couldn't see the whole distance. I shoot with just a glove and a PSE Sequoia. It's a beast of a bow, but I really like it. After trying some recurves, I think the 3 under worked well on longbows for me, but it didn't line up right on a recurve. I guess that would be the tillering you hear about.

Comment

3 Finger makes it easier on my pointer finger by the finger nail from pinch.

Comment

In becoming a bowyer I have learned that split finger supposedly works best when the top limb is slightly longer than the bottom, and that three-finger or Apache supposedly works best when the limbs are equally long. In my own case, I began with Apache because when I tried split finger I twisted the string and moved the arrow off the shelf. I can shoot split finger now but I do not. I prefer the Apache. As for the bows I make, I make the limbs equal in length unless a buyer prefers a longer upper limb.

Now, just this word about those who use mechanical casting devices called compound bows. If they use a mechanical release, it is going to be attached to the string right below the nocking point and nock. These mechanical bows have limbs that are equal. I am not certain that suggest that a central location of fingers is better, but I suspect so.

Comment

If you use a tab you can glue a piece of leather over the string-side leather and then trim it. You can also buy "three-finger under" tabs.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex Expatriate View Post
                                In becoming a bowyer I have learned that split finger supposedly works best when the top limb is slightly longer than the bottom, and that three-finger or Apache supposedly works best when the limbs are equally long. In my own case, I began with Apache because when I tried split finger I twisted the string and moved the arrow off the shelf. I can shoot split finger now but I do not. I prefer the Apache. As for the bows I make, I make the limbs equal in length unless a buyer prefers a longer upper limb.

Now, just this word about those who use mechanical casting devices called compound bows. If they use a mechanical release, it is going to be attached to the string right below the nocking point and nock. These mechanical bows have limbs that are equal. I am not certain that suggest that a central location of fingers is better, but I suspect so.
                                Most all compounds today use a D-loop that puts the release at the same level as the nock and not below it!

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                                X