No announcement yet.

.220 swift out penetrates the .270 & 30-06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, i've seen and heard a lot of people that use the .22 calibers for deer and they sing the little guns praises until the shoot a really big bodied deer and they can't find any blood and they end up not recovering the deer due to the bullet only taking out one lung. This is due to the bullet going so fast that it blows up on contact and doesn't penitrate to the other side of the chest cavity.

The .22 have there place in hunting, but it is my belief that they are not even close to the best choice for big game.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
      My dog can beat up your dog!

Same rate of success but I have 41 animals including 3 ricochet shots and 3 using a mirror!

I had a che'wa'wa' that killed a Great Dane once....

got hung in the GD's throat and choked him to death

Comment

Ill stick with my 270. Never had a deer or hog go more than 40 yds after the shot and all were complete pass thrus with a blood trail a blind man can follow out to 400 yds. I don't see that iddy bitty bullet doing that.

Comment

i have no problem believing this, my own experiances although not the same give high credence to high velocity rifle rounds, unlike a high velocity arrow!!!! give me decent weight with an arrow, give me velocity with rifle..

basically whats happens is that the super velocity bullet acts more like a torch than an expanding bullet...if you see some very high speed rounds at super slo mo you will notice the steel plate is liquifying!! thats right the friction of the round combined with the actual diameter and bc of the bullet all enter into the equation... that little fast bullet acts like a cutting torch,

the 06 round much slower is dependant on the core and jacket of the bullet, which compared to armor plate is soft and doesnt get the job done..

the 270 with a 100 gr bullet although fast is super fragile and with a thin jacket and lead core simply crumbles when it hits the plate,,, now if you used standard grade steal theres is a chance the 270 will penetrate, the 06 round will and so will the 220 swift...

velocity creates friction, friction creates heat, heat burns,,, think about the space shuttle and the ceramic plates under the bottom of it if youve seen any video that is nothing but air friction cause the flames to appear when it returns to earth...

Comment

Originally posted by Flint knapper View Post
            Anyone that would hunt dangerous game with a 220 swift or like calibers in my oppinion is not right in the head and is going to end up at the bottom of the food chain.
            W D M Bell shot over 1000 elephant with a 7x57, and several hundred more with a 6.5x54. I will grant ya that it's not a 220 swift but I think the small bullet/big animal thing applies. He is widely considered the greatest ivory hunter ever. Just sayin

Comment

Bigger is always better. Don't believe me? As her!

Comment

Working...
              X