No announcement yet.

Legal question: Is it legal to shoot your bow within the city limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is what our ordinance says about " weapons" I was looking for bow, archery, and or arrow(s) before. This says a "weapon" desoigned to shoot a "cartridge". An arrow is NOT a cartridge RIGHT?

Quote: Dallas City Code, online from City Hall

SEC. 31-4. DISCHARGING A FIREARM IN A PRIVATE PLACE.
    (a) A person commits an offense if he discharges a firearm, rifle, shotgun, automatic rifle, revolver, pistol, or other weapon designed for the purpose of firing or discharging a shell or cartridge, in a place not customarily open to the public, whether the shell or cartridge is blank or live ammunition.

(b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that:

(1) the person was a law enforcement peace officer acting in the performance of his official duties;

(2) the person was at a shooting range operated by an agency of the United States government, State of Texas, or a political subdivision of the state, or which is privately operated if approved by the police department;

(3) the person was using blank cartridges for a show or theatrical production, or for signal or ceremonial purposes in athletics or sports, or by a military organization; or

(4) the person was acting in a self-defense or justifiable or excusable homicide situation. (Ord. 14971)

Comment

I live in Hurst/Fort Worth, have both city officers driving throught the community. Have had both of them drive by me when i was shooting at the end of my diveway into my garage. Hurst stopped to see what i was shootng at and was taking my idea so he cold shoot at his house cause he said this was the safest way he has seen anyone shooting in the city. Fort Worth just drove by and waved, this was at 11pm and the other was at 4pm.

Comment

Its legal when no one is looking......its illegal when you get caught! hehe

Comment

Working...
        X