No announcement yet.

Hate me for saying this, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I fed my family from the food I hunted, fished or raised, for the most part. We bought very little processed/man made products from the store. We can't stand "store bought", just doesn't taste good.
    My son follows in my footsteps.

Comment

If I couldn't eat the game I kill I doubt I would hunt. Probably spend a lot of time in the woods with a camera though.

Comment

1. Good healthy family time. My wife spends more time on stand than I do.
        2. Teaches the kids tons of lessons they dont get anywhere else. Work and reward.
        3. Great way to get to know God better.
        4. Love the challenge of matching wits with something thats only job is to survive.
        5. That adrenaline rush is pretty cool when you finally pull back on one.
        6. Every 10-15 years I kill one with a set of horns big enough to shoulder mount.
        7. Added bonus of deer meat to eat throughout the year.
        8. Something to look forward to while working my life away.
        9. Stories to share from now on.

There are many reasons I hunt, but the meat is a bonus.

Comment

All my hunts are to enjoy time outside first, provide second, and get a trophy third. I hunt on family land/ invite hunts so it’s cheaper for me to eat deer than buy meat, i also try and get Turkey and hogs for meat as well. In the summertime I fish to provide and have a good time I’ll tell you fish is way more expensive than venison.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
            I fed my family from the food I hunted, fished or raised, for the most part. We bought very little processed/man made products from the store. We can't stand "store bought", just doesn't taste good.
            My son follows in my footsteps.
            Amen

Comment

I do hunt for the meat and no I don't have too to feed my family. I have my own land I don't spend much money on hunting but I generally tag out every year. I generally process my own game and make my own sausage (not this year because Harvey got all my equipment) so this year will be the exception to cheap hunting.

Comment

My deer hunting is way cheaper than my addiction to saltwater fishing. But the time spent outdoors seeing sunrises,sunsets,kids killing there 1st deer,reds tearing up top waters,and everything else while in the outdoors is priceless in my opinion..

Comment

They didn't tell you ???

Comment

I spend way too much on hunting but it is what I enjoy. I provide for my family in addition to the money spent on hunting.
                    My family enjoys it and the meat is a bonus. We spend many days at the lease during the year and not just during hunting season.
                    it has been a good investment for us in quality of life. I don't worry about what other people choose to do with their money.

Comment

Originally posted by Txbownut View Post
                      1. Good healthy family time. My wife spends more time on stand than I do.
                      2. Teaches the kids tons of lessons they dont get anywhere else. Work and reward.
                      3. Great way to get to know God better.
                      4. Love the challenge of matching wits with something thats only job is to survive.
                      5. That adrenaline rush is pretty cool when you finally pull back on one.
                      6. Every 10-15 years I kill one with a set of horns big enough to shoulder mount.
                      7. Added bonus of deer meat to eat throughout the year.
                      8. Something to look forward to while working my life away.
                      9. Stories to share from now on.

There are many reasons I hunt, but the meat is a bonus.
                      My thoughts exactly.

License and tags = $250
                      Diesel = $500
                      Meat = 150lbs
                      $5/lb
                      Spending time with family and friends; watching the earth wake up in the mornings; things listed above = priceless to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Olphart View Post
                        Hunting and fishing in Texas is really a hobby for 99.9%. It's much cheaper and less time consuming to go to the market for beef, pork, or fish.
                        Exactly. From a financial standpoint no different then fixing up an old car. Except for the loss.

Comment

I'm usually only out gas and food money for my Texas deer hunts. I will put in some weekends on the properties I get access to, to do upkeep and repairs but those work weekends are fun. I probably don't get to hunt as much as some of y'all but I kill a deer or three every season.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
                            I am sure there is someone who hunts cheap and provides cheap meat, it just isn’t me or anyone I know or anyone I have ever met. Meat killed by me is more expensive per pound than lobster!
                            Yep, that would be me. I pay $50 for one spot and around $46 for another. 2 different counties. And I’ve taken 4 deer this year with my bow. Processed 2 of them at the house so yea, I paid next to nothing for my 130 lbs of meat in the freezer.

Comment

I'm just glad to have the opportunity to eat what I kill. Priceless to me.

Comment

Great responses!
                                Keep in mind I was just asking about the justification of hunting to feed family, not all the awesome benefits that come along with it. It's clear that there are a few that can hunt cheap and some that go big!
                                I could care less about what people pay to hunt. Their money, not mine. I think the benefits for me outweigh the costs. I haven't harvested anything this season, so thank God I don't hunt to provide! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X