Clear All

Originally posted by Kdurham View Post
    Well this turned quickly :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on where you measure from.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
      Not everybody hunts leases or pays to hunt. You can pretty much make hunting as expensive or as cheap as you want.

I hunt public an hour away. Cost me gas and a license. I'm not sure I would do the lease route. I am the only one to eat the meat to begin with, so not financially worth it. Main reason is that I do enjoy the challenge.

Comment

Do I hunt for the meat, why yes I do. I don't pay for expensive leases or travel great distances, but if I absolutely had then I would, but then I be doing it for the love of the hunt. R&R and tranquility have amount to something !

Comment

I love me some venison. But, to be honest, if someone told me I could have venison for free, or get to hunt and only keep the horns and no meat, I would definitely choose to hunt. I am obsessed with picking out a wise old buck, and trying to outsmart him.

Comment

Keep hearing gotta provide for my family as a reason to hunt. The price some of you are paying for hunting, it just doesn't add up for as a plausible reason....
            Am I missing something?

Not at all whatsoever.

Some spend well over $25k per year to shoot game. Some of the same don't even dress or process the game that's been harvested. There are many that have trophy goals and the means. The more that do, the higher the market.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
              Lol I just like going to the deer lease to drink whiskey and get out of town. The venison is just a bonus.
              Man that's some expensive WHISKEY!

Comment

I sure don’t I just do it for fun. I could do it crazy cheap if I wanted though. Could drive out in one day and shoot all 5 deer from the truck without buying any blinds, feed, or any of the other nice stuff. Could get them all for the cost of a license, fuel that one day (20min drive) and 5 rounds of ammo. As it is I do it because I enjoy it so that even includes taking them to the processor because that’s something I don’t enjoy haha

Comment

Seen it a lot on bookface

There's your first problem, Karim there are a LOT of posts on FB that are full of either misinformation or downright BS 😂 I have to chuckle at some of the lunacy that is posted on the hunting groups I'm on. There are some ignorant folks who are hunting. And I don't mean stupid, I mean ignorant. And it does zero good to try to even suggest that they read the free manual that is given to them when they purchase their hunting license. They take immediate offense at anyone who tries to help them avoid a ticket. I told a buddy the other day that he needs to quit worrying about some of them. They'd rather be "right" and get a ticket than to take a few minutes to read the manual and actually be lawful

Okay, carry on with the original topic

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
                    There's your first problem, Karim there are a LOT of posts on FB that are full of either misinformation or downright BS [emoji23] I have to chuckle at some of the lunacy that is posted on the hunting groups I'm on. There are some ignorant folks who are hunting. And I don't mean stupid, I mean ignorant. And it does zero good to try to even suggest that they read the free manual that is given to them when they purchase their hunting license. They take immediate offense at anyone who tries to help them avoid a ticket. I told a buddy the other day that he needs to quit worrying about some of them. They'd rather be "right" and get a ticket than to take a few minutes to read the manual and actually be lawful

Okay, carry on with the original topic

I hear that!
                    And yes I keep a copy on my dash just in case :-)

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                      The only people hunting to feed their families are the ones running around East Texas that show up on your game cams from time to time. LOL

I hunt public lands only, shoot a 2009 model bow and the same Slick Tricks/Grim Reapers I've had for a while now, arrows are a set I bought 5 years ago or so and I'm down to 9 of the dozen, and I process all my own kills. It's STILL cheaper to buy the most expensive meat HEB has to offer than to eat venison.
                      that's impressive. Hogs always break mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcat91 View Post
                        that's impressive. Hogs always break mine.
                        To be fair I don't shoot all that much, typically twice per year and half of those shots go into the dirt lol. Also where I typically hunt there's no hogs so it's just deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Olphart View Post
                          Hunting and fishing in Texas is really a hobby for 99.9%. It's much cheaper and less time consuming to go to the market for beef, pork, or fish.
                          Yes sir. I deer hunted for a long time. A few years ago it got to the point I could provide for my family better by not hunting. I could not justify it in my head any longer. I'm the only one in the family that will eat venison so I was spending all that $ on myself and not my family. It just didn't feel right anymore.

Comment

I hunt deer because of this little kid holding up an almost empty bag of deer jerky...

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Comment

it's a convenient excuse for shooting baby deer. along with "cain't eat them horns", as a guy has 3 year old bucks lined up...

Comment

I hunt relatively cheap compared to most and still have a decent shot at a trophy for the area almost every year.

I know some who have access to free or nearly free hunting who put a lot of meat on the table for cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X