No announcement yet.

Hay for Deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feed alfalfa and have for a long time now. They love it!

Comment

I have been feeding alfalfa to the deer at my place for about 15 years now and they will go through a bale a week. My pops has been using alfalfa for over 20 years as an attractant. He just puts it straight on the ground and I use an old hay feeder.....

Comment

But what about wild Hogs?

Comment

Just a note on another source of protein for the deer...

Comment

I have wanted to do this for a while but my concern is overzelous cows. Do you think we will have trouble keeping the cows out of the feeder pens if they have a history of pushing the pens down to begin with? I have felt the smell of the alfalfa would be too much for them. Thoughts?

Comment

I guess no one knows if hogs will eat it big papa. Pour some jello mix on it and I bet they would

Comment

big papa, I have used it in barrels similar to the one recently posted on the DIY site and I have Scattered it on the ground and I have not seen a hog or had a trail cam take a picture of a hog/hogs eating it, but might mean they prefer the corn over it.

Comment

Originally posted by keep View Post
                  I have wanted to do this for a while but my concern is overzelous cows. Do you think we will have trouble keeping the cows out of the feeder pens if they have a history of pushing the pens down to begin with? I have felt the smell of the alfalfa would be too much for them. Thoughts?

Good question, I am thinking about putting Chaffhaye (sp) out during the preseason. I have put up square tubing framed panels around my feeder, and was wondering the same thing. If I put a couple of bales out, will the cattle and sheep kill themselves to try and get to it? I may just do it and put a camera out.

Comment

Pigs will eat alfalfa. We used to spot and stalk hogs that were feeding on alfalfa hay that the rancher was using to feed his cattle.

Comment

With the dry spell in full swing around my place, any deer seen eating my hay will be shot. Normally get about 80 rolls 1st cutting, got 48
                      That along with my formal hearing in front of the Apprisal Board yesterday, I'm ready to shoot something

Comment

Working...
                      X