Wichita Mtns cow elk hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Horn chaser View Post
    Alright I just found out I drew an Oklahoma controlled hunt tag for cow elk at Wichita Mtns NWR. Most all of my hunting I normally just use a bow but on this one I will be breaking out my 7mm Remington Mag for the hunt. To the elk hunters out there what cartridge would you recommend using? As this is a once in a lifetime hunt in Oklahoma I want to make sure I am prepared. Thanks
    That WMA is .27 or bigger. congrats enjoy the meat.

7mm is over kill in my opinion, but dead is dead and rules are rules

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
      That WMA is .27 or bigger. congrats enjoy the meat.

7mm is over kill in my opinion, but dead is dead and rules are rules
      Well it's not like I got a lot of choices to use for myself. I have that 7 rem mag, marlin 30-30, or 8mm mauser. The 30-30 and 8 mm mauser are both iron sight guns. The 7 mag is scoped. I am going with the 7 mag just in case I have a long shot as I dont really know what to expect in shot opportunity there. If I knew it was 100 yds or less I would be tempted in taking the 8 mm Mauser.

Comment

Originally posted by Horn chaser View Post
        Well it's not like I got a lot of choices to use for myself. I have that 7 rem mag, marlin 30-30, or 8mm mauser. The 30-30 and 8 mm mauser are both iron sight guns. The 7 mag is scoped. I am going with the 7 mag just in case I have a long shot as I dont really know what to expect in shot opportunity there. If I knew it was 100 yds or less I would be tempted in taking the 8 mm Mauser.
        You can make it a hundred or less if you want it to be. The hunt is as hard as you want to make it. Historical success odds of those that hunt are 100%.

You can take two rifles, and change out next day if you feel the need. But I'm also the guy that normally tags out last second of the last day because I'm having to much fun and didn't care if I ate my tag.
        Last edited by Texans42; 07-08-2017, 02:38 PM.

Comment

I've spent a many Easter sunrise there my self. Also climed all over Mt Scott.

I would like to hunt Prairie Dogs there.

Comment

Nosler 160gr Accubond. Buy two boxes and zero in and practice with the round. Good luck.

Comment

My 7mm Rem Mag bullet I used was Hornady .284 BTSP Interlock 162 gr. bullet on my Cow elk hunt at the Refuge when I went hunting there once upon a time. The 1st day of the hunt I saw bull elk and that evening saw a herd of cows. As I stalked them I found myself with deer in my way and they spooked and they spooked the elk herd.

Next morning I was glassing for elk and saw a herd of cows so I stalked to about 150 yards and took a good rest on a large rock, made my shot & she dropped DRT.

I was exhausted after I skinned, quartered & packed her to the nearest road where they picked me up. As a matter of fact on one of my trips carrying a load of elk to the road I walked within 40 yards of a lone Bull buffalo. I was so exhausted that I couldn't have run from him if he would have charged me. I prayed a lot on that hunt and thanked God for every step that I took as I walked carrying each load to the nearest road.

I strongly suggest to get into the best shape you can get into before the hunt and bring a strong buddy to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Yotaforme View Post
                My 7mm Rem Mag bullet I used was Hornady .284 BTSP Interlock 162 gr. bullet on my Cow elk hunt at the Refuge when I went hunting there once upon a time. The 1st day of the hunt I saw bull elk and that evening saw a herd of cows. As I stalked them I found myself with deer in my way and they spooked and they spooked the elk herd.

Next morning I was glassing for elk and saw a herd of cows so I stalked to about 150 yards and took a good rest on a large rock, made my shot & she dropped DRT.

I was exhausted after I skinned, quartered & packed her to the nearest road where they picked me up. As a matter of fact on one of my trips carrying a load of elk to the road I walked within 40 yards of a lone Bull buffalo. I was so exhausted that I couldn't have run from him if he would have charged me. I prayed a lot on that hunt and thanked God for every step that I took as I walked carrying each load to the nearest road.

I strongly suggest to get into the best shape you can get into before the hunt and bring a strong buddy to help.
                Sounds like you had a great hunt and a good time. How far did you end up packing the meat out?
                I have already gotten started back on my diet and dropped 10 lbs in the past 2 weeks. Starting back in the gym tomorrow. If nothing more comes of this hunt the motivation to get back on the diet and working out I am fine with it. I have hunted up by Silverton, Co a couple times at just over 10,000 feet and enjoyed every minute of the hunt.
                Thanks for the advice everyone. I cant wait for January to get here.

Comment

Sounds like you won't have any difficulties getting into top elk hunting condition. Congratulations on the weight loss, that's going to be a big help. On my hunt the nearest road was about a quarter of a mile but I made the trip 6 times one way or a total of 12 times. 1st trip was to carry my gear & rifle. Then strapped the hide to the pack frame on for the proof of sex requirement and then the 4 quarters, one at a time.

While backpacking one of the quarters, I had to leap across a crevice of two huge boulders that were only about 3 1/2 feet apart but would be about 5 feet straight down if I fell into the crevice.

You guessed it.

I should have thrown the pack across the opening but jumped instead and both of my feet made it safely to the other side but as soon as I landed, the weight of a quarter section on my back caused me to fall backward and straight into the crevice to the bottom. I remember thinking that if I were crippled from the fall that at least I wouldn't die of starvation since the 1/4 section was still with me, ha ha.

Anyway God as always was with me and I was not harmed and able to lift the 1/4 section out & then climb out. I can't remember ever having to work so hard after a hunt, between all the skinning,quartering and packing everything out and being tired from the previous days hunt but I would gladly do it over again without hesitation if I had the chance.

I can PM the details of the area where I hunted if you'd like that information.

Comment

Working...
                  X