No announcement yet.

THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, could anyone tell me how to get down to whites dam with a truck?

I walked down there this morning from gate IV and saw two F150s. Looks like a great place to camp. Just not sure how they got there, cuz the trails from gate IV are real tight.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jvela23 View Post
      Will there be a place were we can find the information covered after the meeting has taken place, for the people who can't attend the meeting?
      We are exploring the idea of a Twin Buttes Facebook page to disseminate information in the future, but have some administrative issues to work through. I'm not a huge social media consumer, but fully realize this is the way many like to receive information, so we can't ignore it as a valuable tool. I'll try to do a short debrief on here after the meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasRangerFan7 View Post
        Hey guys, could anyone tell me how to get down to whites dam with a truck?

I walked down there this morning from gate IV and saw two F150s. Looks like a great place to camp. Just not sure how they got there, cuz the trails from gate IV are real tight.

Thanks.

Hats off to you for making that walk... hahaha... if you have an smart phone with maps it's easy to follow the trails that have been there for years and years.... it's really simple once you go through the cattle guard go straight and follow the trail that pretty much hugs the lake and river... The trail down the fence lines that goes back to whites is doable in a "small-er" truck... not sure what you drive but in most 1/2 ton factory stock lift kits you can make it... 3/4 ton trucks and bigger not gonna have a fun time... in the map below the red line is pretty much the trail you wanna take... an normal easy feeling driving speed it should take 45-60 minutes to get from the cattle guard to the dam... once you get closer to the dam you can choose to stay on the north side of Spring Creek or cross Spring Creek by trucking over the rocky creek bottom... you'll see the trail going into the creek bottom and the slopes on the south side where you can go up.... most trucks can make it as long as you just watch where you are going in the water and rocks... the only issue you are gonna have is it's gonna be first come first serve at the spots that are good for river front camping like it has always been for years and years... I don't know when you plan on doing the camping, but if you do it in the non-winter months be sure to bring a case of Mosquito repellant... they are horrible all along the river bank... There is also another way coming in from area 3 from the EQ... it's just as long of a ride... if you want a tour guide send me a PM and we can schedule something if you want...

Comment

Originally posted by JDVerfurth View Post
          Hats off to you for making that walk... hahaha... if you have an smart phone with maps it's easy to follow the trails that have been there for years and years.... it's really simple once you go through the cattle guard go straight and follow the trail that pretty much hugs the lake and river... The trail down the fence lines that goes back to whites is doable in a "small-er" truck... not sure what you drive but in most 1/2 ton factory stock lift kits you can make it... 3/4 ton trucks and bigger not gonna have a fun time... in the map below the red line is pretty much the trail you wanna take... an normal easy feeling driving speed it should take 45-60 minutes to get from the cattle guard to the dam... once you get closer to the dam you can choose to stay on the north side of Spring Creek or cross Spring Creek by trucking over the rocky creek bottom... you'll see the trail going into the creek bottom and the slopes on the south side where you can go up.... most trucks can make it as long as you just watch where you are going in the water and rocks... the only issue you are gonna have is it's gonna be first come first serve at the spots that are good for river front camping like it has always been for years and years... I don't know when you plan on doing the camping, but if you do it in the non-winter months be sure to bring a case of Mosquito repellant... they are horrible all along the river bank... There is also another way coming in from area 3 from the EQ... it's just as long of a ride... if you want a tour guide send me a PM and we can schedule something if you want...

Thanks for this map and info JD! Next time I'm out there, i'll give it a shot. Being able to set up camp back there will sure make my walk a lot shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by TGW View Post
            All,

We will be holding a public hearing on Twin Buttes Reservoir APH program on April 18th, 2017 at the McNease Convention Center (500 Rio Concho Drive - San Angelo, TX) with a start time of 7 PM.

The purpose of the meeting is twofold. First, we would like to inform the public on the status of our road/trail plan along with a general update that will address several areas such as potential grants, dove fields, game census counts, grazing leases, and general law enforcement issues. Secondly, we will have some time allotted for public comments on the recreational use.

Hope to see you there.

Jason Huebner
            Lieutenant Game Warden

Just a reminder about the meeting Tuesday. I can't make the trip from San Antonio on a weeknight or I'd be there. Hope some of you locals can make the meeting to represent TBH

Comment

Update to Public Hearing that took place on April 18th

All, I'll give you a quick update about the Twin Buttes PHL in bullet format.

- Contract with the U.S. Forest Service is being finalized and the National Environmental Protection Act Review will begin so we can solidify the Transportation Management Plan and come into compliance with federal regulations on OHV use. Expect this will take approximately 2 years, but that's still conjecture on my part as I've never been through one of these. This is our number one priority.

- We are currently seeking bids for the planting of some dove fields, but are still awaiting final approval from the BOR. These fields will be narrow and long for the most part to spread out hunters, however one will likely be an old existing field that was cultivated about 2 years ago - it's about an 18 acre field. We are crunched for time so it's still iffy. End of May it needs to be planted for sure.

- We are trying to get approval to also begin thinning out some brush and creating more edge effect for the deer. Think long and curvy "S" shapes. This takes a bit more as it's considered a bit more invasive by tree removal but it will be discussed further with the wildlife division and the BOR in June. I'm hopeful but can't give any promises.

- June 10th is a tentative date for a community clean up and I'm looking for anyone willing to step up and take a lead role in helping this come together. One person representing an off road group and a gentlemen from the air base have already began coordinating their efforts. Contact me if you'd like to help out.

- Looking at the possibility of opening up a new area 9 (shaded green) for walk-in Archery only. This area is directly across from the Airport. It also has about a half mile of sidewalk that could be handicap accessible but we are needing to clear brush. No promises yet either on this one but I'm hopeful we can open this up for next season.

[IMG][/IMG]

That's all for now. I'll be out of pocket for the next two weeks so please allow me adequate time to respond.

Thanks,

Lt. Jason Huebner

Comment

Guys, when do you purchase the public lands permit? I did not get one last year and I know I am going to be back to public lands only again this year.

Comment

It's available when the new hunting license becomes available for sept 1

Comment

What are the rules regarding blinds and feeders on public lands? It has been awhile for me and just want to refresh myself on the legal. Thanks for the info Mjjust.

Comment

Each set of public lands is different. As a general rule baiting is not allowed and stands have to be carried in and out each hunt unless the rules for a particular unit say different. When you get your APH you will be mailed a book that list every property along with the rules for that property. You can also look at the map book online probably sometime in July or August. In the case of San Angelo State Park and Twin Buttes they both allow baiting. SP does not allow feeders and you can't damage any habitat when setting a blind. They don't enforce a time limit other than you can't put up till first day of season and must remove last day. They do have limits on what days you can hunt due to the drawn gun hunts they have there. Twin Buttes only last year the city handed control over to TPWD so it was the first time in the APH program. Before that there was basically no rules other than no rifles. It was a free for all out there and with way too many people having no respect for the land it turned into a mess which is why the city turned it over. Not too many rules were implemented the first year due to the short notice and TPWD for the most part only issued warnings for the few rules there were. Rules for this next season are still being decided on. I have spoken to Jason some about plans and how I can help and he asked my opinion on blind rules. He is heading up most of the planning and improvements at TBR. He has a tough job of trying to please all the users both historical and new and dealing with ever increasing regulations from the Feds because TBR is actually federal land. Send Jason a pm to get more info and especially if you can lend a hand. I'm trying to coordinate with him on helping with some fence mending and maybe other projects. In in San Antonio so that limits how much I can help. The off road community, bikers and birders all have some sort of organization and representation and are helping out a lot. As a hunter I'm sorta embarrassed as we haven't banded together to help and or have a voice. Jason is very much pro hunting but he needs our help and input so as to make TBR as safe and positive a hunting experience as possible.

That's a long way to say that don't know the rules yet for TBR but hope to encourage some to get involved. Hope that helps.

Comment

Does anybody know where to get the non hunting permit for TBR? I am wanting to do some scouting and possible site selection and prep but don't have the annual hunt permit until august. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Walmart... Field and Streams... anywhere you get a license....

Comment

Originally posted by JDVerfurth View Post
                            Walmart... Field and Streams... anywhere you get a license....

Thank you brother.

Comment

Quick question, I can't remember if it is acceptable to carry concealed while hunting public lands like TBR and State park.

Comment

Everyone I ran into last year was packing.

Comment

Working...
                                X