Best Camera for Long Distance Zoom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Camera for Long Distance Zoom

Sat this weekend and had 2 of my bigger bucks come out at 500 yards, they got to 300 yards, and my zoom is not powerful enough.

My question, what video camera or DSLR camera would you all suggest for videos of 200+ yards? What kind of zoom and camera do I need?

All information will be appreciated!

I currently have a Sony HXR-NX30U, can I just add a zoom lens to it? If so, what do I need to make this compatible?

Comment

For that distance I’d say you’d be best off with a spotting scope and some kind of digiscoping adaptor. I’ve found that 200mm is good for 10-50 yards, 400mm is good till 100 yards. 800mm is good out to 200 yards. (35mm equivalent)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here is a video I shot with a Sony HDR-CX675. I was holding the camera free hand so it's shaky, but you can see the zoom. They are 875 yds away.

Comment

I have a Nikon camera that also videos. This camera has a 42x optical zoom and takes great videos.it is great for what you are looking for.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! I'm currently trying to decide between the Nikon P900 and the Sony Cyber Shot DSC HX400V. I looked up some Youtube Videos and some professional hunters recommended those 2 Bridge Cameras. The Nikon has 83x Optical Zoom, but doesn't have external Mic connectivity. The Sony has 50x zoom, but acts and works like a professional camera.

Comment

I was going to suggest the Nikon P900 but was unsure exactly what you were looking for based on what you are using. Another option would be a Canon Powershot SX60 but I believe the P900 has a longer telephoto. The Canon will shoot RAW files while the P900 doesn't. That would tip it for me but you may not require that.

Comment

I ended up going with the Sony HX400V, very good on zoom, however, the lens is very shaky and sensitive. Going to play around with it, before I decide to keep it or not.

Comment

You might consider subscribing to Michael Middleton's YouTube channel.
                  He tends to stay pretty current when it comes to hunting video techniques and equipment. Here's a video he did earlier this year about some of the equipment he's using...

Comment

Thanks! Yes, I watched that video and have picked up some of his same equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been looking at bridge style camera as well, due to the clacking sound from the mirror on my DSLR. I just picked up the Sony HX400 and am not sure how well it will do in low light. Going to give it a shot this weekend and decide whether or not I want to return it.

Anyone else use one of the bridge style mega zoom cameras and had good luck in low light conditions?

Comment

Originally posted by Awalk View Post
                        I've been looking at bridge style camera as well, due to the clacking sound from the mirror on my DSLR. I just picked up the Sony HX400 and am not sure how well it will do in low light. Going to give it a shot this weekend and decide whether or not I want to return it.

Anyone else use one of the bridge style mega zoom cameras and had good luck in low light conditions?
                        I held the Sony and the Canon Powershot SX60 in the store the other day and prefer the zoom distance and fact that it can shoot RAW of the Canon. That said I noticed the Canon only shoots as fast as 1/2000 a second. I would like more but it wouldn't be a deal killer. I'm not sure how fast shutter speed the Sony can shoot though.

One suggestion for you trying it out. If you shoot telephoto fully extended camera shake could be a problem on a light weight camera especially at slow shutter speed so consider these factors when giving it a run. Not to take this into account would not give the camera a fair shot. Not pun intended.

Comment

I gave the Sony HX400 a shot this weekend. It was viable about 20 minutes before sunrise/ after sunset, so thinking in terms of shooting hours, you "lose" 10 minutes on either end. Additionally, the auto-focus performed poorly up until sunrise/ after sunset. The zoom on the other hand was impressive.

In order to get some better light in, I think I'd need to bump up to a camera with a 1" sensor. (Sony RX10, Lumix 1000 or 2500) Downside here is significant loss of optical zoom, however review seem to compliment the digital zoom on these cameras.

Comment

I have a Canon Vixia with 30 something zoom. It will video something well out to about 1k I have a video posted shooting a 300 win mag at 950 in video section. The target Cam is the Canon

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Is the Vixia capable of taking still photos as well?

Comment

Working...
                              X