No announcement yet.

What do you use to oil your firearms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the blood of my enemies. Thought that's what we all used?

Comment

Originally posted by TransPecos View Post
      Eezox

This one scores one of the highest on anti corrosion tests.

Comment

I use ballistol for cleaning. To be honest, I have probably used 50 different oils for lubrication, and have never seen one that did appreciably better than the others. Quart of Mobil 1 will last for years and it's cheap by comparison. Don't recommend WD 40 though. Kind of out of it's wheel house unless you are trying to get water out of the internals.

Comment

Use the WD40 on the dirty workings after a shooting session...one of the best cleaners around for just about anything. Spray down, scrub with an old toothbrush & hit it with gun scrubber or other preferred aerosol degreaser.

I use a variety of different oils for the final wipedown & lubrication on the sliding parts. I'm testing / finding amsoil gun lubricant with excellent results on my M16 bolt...shooting FA with a can makes for dirty receivers & extreme heat.

I think any of those mentioned work fine if you one of those shooters that cares for your guns religiously. Ballistic, rust pruff & Eezox are good choices if you are a hit it / forget it guy & treat your guns more of tools & randomly shoot / long term maintenance.
          Last edited by Artos; 03-22-2019, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Clp

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
              Use the WD40 on the dirty workings after a shooting session...one of the best cleaners around for just about anything. Spray down, scrub with an old toothbrush & hit it with gun scrubber or other preferred aerosol degreaser.

I use a variety of different oils for the final wipedown & lubrication on the sliding parts. I'm testing / finding amsoil gun lubricant with excellent results on my M16 bolt...shooting FA with a can makes for dirty receivers.

I think any of those mentioned work fine if you one of those shooters that cares for your guns religiously. Ballistic, rust pruff & Eezox are good choices if you are a hit it / forget it guy & treat your guns more of tools & randomly shoot / long term maintenance.
              White lithium grease is the bees knees for running full auto

Comment

For the most part I use the classic Hoppes #9 and break Free CLP and on my BCG's I coat lightly with Frog Lube.

Comment

If you warm your bolt slightly in the oven (warm enough to handle) for the froglube it helps. The amsoil is better. I’ve tried all the greases & like this route better especially when suppressed as it magnifies the problem with direct impengement anyway

Comment

Mobil 1 or CLP

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                      If you warm your bolt slightly in the oven (warm enough to handle) for the froglube it helps. The amsoil is better. I’ve tried all the greases & like this route better especially when suppressed as it magnifies the problem with direct impengement anyway
                      Not trying to pick a fight or anything at all:

Is it the function of the gun while shooting that you’re having problems with, the clean up, or number of range sessions between range sessions you’re after?

I run stuff pretty hard, (and all my guns have plenty of oil) but I’ve never noticed a difference in one oil over another.

Comment

Whatever motor oil I have handy. No need to buy into snake oil. Thousands of rounds of mag dumps through MGs don’t lie.

Comment

I was just curious. Looks like lots of folks are using Mobil1.

Comment

Breakthrough clean.

Comment

Kroll Oil for internals. That stuff will seep/penetrate into anything. its like liquid gold.

Eezox for externals due to its corrosion protection abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                                Not trying to pick a fight or anything at all:

Is it the function of the gun while shooting that you’re having problems with, the clean up, or number of range sessions between range sessions you’re after?

I run stuff pretty hard, (and all my guns have plenty of oil) but I’ve never noticed a difference in one oil over another.
                                Good question...like you I've had success with all & was a high temp bearing grease guy forever, but when I started shooting the FA/suppressed it was the condition come cleaning time of the upper & lower receivers that made me start thinking. In other words, would I be willing to leave as is & be comfortable taking into a repeated session or even worse life / death situation with what I was seeing so I started comparing.

No big deal & would suggest to anyone use what makes you comfortable which is exactly what I'm doing. I just got a belt fed 5.56 Ares upper & a Lakeside 22lr upper which are both very different in regards to filthiness / reliability & will continue the fun with this M16.

We are talking about two different issues here...lubricant for function of various firearm applications & exterior barrier protection for storage.

Comment

Working...
                                X