No announcement yet.

Bardominium Build Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just started looking into the while barndominium options. In in Montgomery County so anyone who has built one in Montgomery County any input/guidance would be appreciated

Comment

Great news! My wife and I just became owners of 5 acres in Glen Rose. We closed yesterday and received the notice that funding took place this afternoon. We're so glad to finally have a chuck of land of our own!

We're going to spend some time out there this weekend with our daughters. We're hoping to have a road access and address established in the coming week.

Once the access is in, I'll be cutting the fence and beginning the road clearing phase. I'll be using our Kubota SVL-90-2 with newly acquired brushshark to cut a lame for the future road. There are quite a few large live oaks out there hidden away by cedar. I can't wait to get them revealed!

Unfortunately, it'll be a while before any real construction begins. My wife has taken the past few years off from teaching to raise the babies at home. One will begin kinder next year and the other is two years behind. We just don't have the money right now to get going as soon as I'd like.

I'm so glad for this site. There is a bunch of great build journals here from which I will draw inspiration. I hope some of y'all aren't too shy to offer some advice!

Thanks for following along...

Comment

^^^Well done sir...I know y'all are excited. Congrats.

Comment

Congrats!! Its a fun but stressful process...we are about halfway through with ours.

Comment

Originally posted by cam6467 View Post
            Great news! My wife and I just became owners of 5 acres in Glen Rose. We closed yesterday and received the notice that funding took place this afternoon. We're so glad to finally have a chuck of land of our own!

We're going to spend some time out there this weekend with our daughters. We're hoping to have a road access and address established in the coming week.

Once the access is in, I'll be cutting the fence and beginning the road clearing phase. I'll be using our Kubota SVL-90-2 with newly acquired brushshark to cut a lame for the future road. There are quite a few large live oaks out there hidden away by cedar. I can't wait to get them revealed!

Unfortunately, it'll be a while before any real construction begins. My wife has taken the past few years off from teaching to raise the babies at home. One will begin kinder next year and the other is two years behind. We just don't have the money right now to get going as soon as I'd like.

I'm so glad for this site. There is a bunch of great build journals here from which I will draw inspiration. I hope some of y'all aren't too shy to offer some advice!

Congrats, sir. Looking forward to eventually following along. Enjoy the ride.

Comment

Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by cam6467 View Post

Congrats, sir. Looking forward to eventually following along. Enjoy the ride.

Comment

Best of luck with the new property & future builds. Bleed Purple!

Comment

It's need a while since I updated this journal, so I'm going to give y'all a little run-down of what's been going on.

Since my last post, I've been slammed with HVAC work. My own business has been slow, but I'm lucky enough to have a father in the same trade. Where I focus mainly on residential work, he's all commercial. I've been working all over Texas doing everything from rough-in work to start-ups. It's nice to be busy!

I have found some time to spend on my property lately. My road access was successfully installed by the county and I have an official address now. I just paid for a water tap and placed the little blue flag a week ago Friday. The water district has done some layout painting on the ground and I can only assume that they'll be doing some digging in the next week or two.

About a month after my road access was put in, I went out and cut the barbed wire fence. I trailered my equipment out and started in on my road. The cedar on my place is thick, but I'm fortunate that it doesn't take much to pop them up and out of the dirt with that Kubota machine.

Here's a look at my "mobile office"
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461291025.604237.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	24440989

I've got a large grapple attachment, the 6' brushshark, and the toothed buckets that came with the machine. Between the grapple and the brushshark, the cedar has no chance. I've gotten pretty good at popping them up and getting them to the burn pile. It feels like I've made the trip a few hundred times and I've only spent about six operating hours on the place.

The road came along nicely. I've got it about 16-20' wide most of the way. It gets a little sloppy toward the end of the road due to the recent rain. I'm going to have to wait for it to dry out a bit.

Road clearing

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461291299.936833.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	24440991Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461291318.497231.jpg
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	24440992

These pictures are from the first hour.

I also cleared up around where I envision the house to sit eventually

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461291422.644314.jpg
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	24440993

While I worked with the machine, I had my helper run a chainsaw. He did a great job cleaning up around a huge live oak on the property.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461291564.198881.jpg
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	24440994

This tree's canopy is easily 50-60' in diameter. It's just a magnificent tree. The cedar trees had overrun this beauty and made it hard to see. A chainsaw, loppers, and a few hours of work really opened things up. I'm excited to see how this tree looks once I've got it 100% in the open.

It's been a fun few days here lately. I've been able to spend my time on my land.neddless to say, I'm in love!

Comment

Well, I've done all I want to do on the land as far as clearing goes.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461968546.565538.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	24441624
                      One burn pile I got going on Tuesday.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461968604.190911.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	24441625
                      Here's the other. I had to burn two small piles, continually adding from my "stock pile" I pushed up on Monday. It took two days to completely burn everything I ripped/cut/pushed in making my road and clearing the house pad area.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461968706.910405.jpg
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	24441626
                      We were able to completely clear out from under and around the large live oak at the front of the property. My helper couldn't resist going for a climb. Apparently the view is spectacular. I will never know first hand as my climbing days have come and gone!

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461968796.517127.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	24441627
                      Here's a bad panoramic picture of the front of my place. I'm standing where the gate will be and the picture looks down the county road (to the left) and down my new driveway (to the right). This area was totally covered in cedar. It's going to look nice once the native grasses grow back in next year.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461968929.121825.jpg
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	24441628
                      We had to relocate this bird nest. Hopefully momma will find her eggs. We moved it from a cedar to a mesquite tree less than three feet away. Pretty little eggs.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461969004.922207.jpg
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	24441629
                      While we were clearing land, the water district came by and set my new meter. I plan on setting a hydrant style spigot near the future gate next week so it'll be a little safer to use the cutting torch, grinder, and welder.

I met with my dirt man this afternoon to have a look at the plan for the road/house pad/stock tank. He thinks I'll end up with a 1/2 acre or better tank once he's removed enough dirt for everything he'll be doing.

My only limiting factor at this point is money. We don't qualify for a home loan due to the single income situation. My wife is making plans to get back in the classroom this fall, so I'm confident that we'll be pouring concrete this coming winter and hopefully standing up walls in the spring.

I'm really enjoying working on my land so far. It's going to be such a nice place when it's all said and done!

Comment

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462238689.905173.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	24441890

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462238727.357315.jpg
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	24441891

Water is in. I set a hydrant style spigot this afternoon. It was smooth sailing except for the fact that you can't dig more than 1" deep before hitting rock. This little 3x2 hole is about a foot deep and took me and two other guys an hour to dig.

Comment

Good luck in your endeavors. I'm along for the ride!

Comment

are you erecting the building yourself? I've been getting prices for a month to get mine started and erected and insultated are more than twice the 12/sqft you stated. but I'm way out in Archer county

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Following! Hoping to build a barndominium in the future

Comment

Working...
                                X