How much protein.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
    About 3 acres in Trinity Co. , and five acres in Rusk Co.
    We just finished up some protein "plots" yesterday.
    Attached Files

Comment

If I had a choice I would go food plots over protein feeders every day of the week - we run cameras on our feeders and at the best a deer will come to the feeder twice per day and be there less than 5 minutes each time. How much can they really ingest in that short of a time?

On the other hand, deer are born to browse. If they have a food plot to graze on they will stay out there for hours and ingest much more than they ever could or would at a feeder.

We are in south texas so unless you have irrigation (which we do not) a food plot is just too iffy - but they are the ticket IMO

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
        If I had a choice I would go food plots over protein feeders every day of the week - we run cameras on our feeders and at the best a deer will come to the feeder twice per day and be there less than 5 minutes each time. How much can they really ingest in that short of a time?

On the other hand, deer are born to browse. If they have a food plot to graze on they will stay out there for hours and ingest much more than they ever could or would at a feeder.

We are in south texas so unless you have irrigation (which we do not) a food plot is just too iffy - but they are the ticket IMO
        I have a little different results on my lease. I feed protein free choice for an hour and a half each morning and each evening. My cameras show deer showing up and waiting for the feed to dispense, then once it feeds, they show to be eating for most of an hour. They'll eat a bit then wander off and come back a bit later for another bite. They repeat the back and forth until they've had their fill.

Comment

17 tons of protein since February

Comment

I just have one protein feeder out. They are hitting it pretty hard now, about 500 lbs or more a month. I know I am feeding a lot of coons, but I am beginning to put a dent in them.

Comment

Originally posted by hammer63 View Post
              I have a little different results on my lease. I feed protein free choice for an hour and a half each morning and each evening. My cameras show deer showing up and waiting for the feed to dispense, then once it feeds, they show to be eating for most of an hour. They'll eat a bit then wander off and come back a bit later for another bite. They repeat the back and forth until they've had their fill.
              that is interesting - we have free choice and have cameras on the feeders. Our cameras are set to trigger every 5 minutes - most deer are gone by the second pictures and almost always gone by the third picture

Comment

We go through about 5 tons a month

Comment

14 tons of protein and 6 tons of cotton seed so far

Comment

5 tons on 450 acres HF near Rocksprings with a refill trip planned this weekend.

8 tons SE tex 200 acre HF

Comment

2000lb feeders, about to refill them for the 4th time. I didn't fill them the 1st time until mid-Feb and haven't been good about not letting them go dry. Otherwise add another 1-2 fillings.

Comment

East TX
                        1 ton of protein
                        1 ton of cotton seed.

Comment

about 60,000 lbs of protein

Comment

For you guys throwing out these amounts of protein, what size acreages correlate to these amounts? And what your goals for the year? Do you have a goal of so many #'s per acre or year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The ranch is 1120 acres with us trying to carry around 120 deer for the property. Our goal is just to keep the feeders full so we go once every 2 or 3 weeks to top them off. The deer dictate how much we put out. As long as they keep eating we will keep buying protein to refill. We only feed protein from February-October then we switch to corn.

Comment

About 3500lb every 6 weeks

Comment

Working...
                                X