Wildlife Water In Arid Areas- My Guzzler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wildlife Water In Arid Areas- My Guzzler

After much planning I have finally completed and set my Guzzler so I can have relatively consistent water at my place between Rocksprings and Del Rio.

It's a relatively dry area. I have no creeks or tanks on my property. I built my Guzzler with 1 inch angle iron, roofing tin, 2x4s, gutter supplies and a 275 gallon IBC tote which was procured from the Green Screen.

I under estimated the length of the run to get the trough float valve downhill of the IBC valve, but made it work. I will surely re plumb at the float valve and add protection to keep hogs and whatever from tearing up the entry point to the trough. We also added structure in and around the trough to help smaller guests keep from drowning and making the water putrid.

The rain falls on the tin roof, gutter delivers it to the tank, gravity delivers it to the trough, the float valve feels the water level and stops the flow until the water level is lower.

on my land water makes a big difference!
    Attached Files

Looks good that'll work better than a feeder there.

Comment

Good Work! Looks good!

Comment

Just curious, you said your land, how much are wells running out there?

Comment

Looks good brother! That's liquid gold right there...

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
            Just curious, you said your land, how much are wells running out there?
            Well . . . I don't know for sure, but I hear that they were about $5.00 a foot, no guarantee and the water table is DEEP. Appears to be "unobtainium" unless you have vast resources that you can afford to utilize. However, I truly don't really know for sure.

Comment

Thing is, when it rains, IT RAINS! Sometimes there is quite a spell between rains. Also, the water runs off very quickly. You have to be able yo contain the water to benefit from it or it drains off as quickly as it came.

Comment

Originally posted by cylomedia View Post
                Well . . . I don't know for sure, but I hear that they were about $5.00 a foot, no guarantee and the water table is DEEP. Appears to be "unobtainium" unless you have vast resources that you can afford to utilize. However, I truly don't really know for sure.
                Interesting, thank you. 5 bucks a foot seems pretty cheap tho?

Have ya thought about damming up a pond?

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                  Interesting, thank you. 5 bucks a foot seems pretty cheap tho?

Have ya thought about damming up a pond?
                  Last I heard wells were going for about 10-15K... It just depended on depth... This was close to town, not sure if it would be more to have it done if travel is involved...

Comment

I love that idea.
                    How much water will a one inch rain catch on that roof?
                    Any pigs in that dry area? Need a pen?
                    BP

Comment

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                        I love that idea.
                        How much water will a one inch rain catch on that roof?
                        Any pigs in that dry area? Need a pen?
                        BP
                        Don't know about his, I read somewhere that a 1/2" rain on 1000' sq ft roof comes out to about 600 gallons. There are several websites to help with these just google calculating rainwater runoff, that should hook you up.

Comment

You are going to lose a fair amount of water to evaporation with a trough that large. I know that I do on one of my spots. It is right by the well though and I just refill the tote about once per month. I don't leave my well valves open when I am not there or I would permanently plumb it up.

Make a smaller water trough and your tote will last weeks longer. There were some good examples in other threads here on the green screen.

T

Comment

I gleaned quite a bit of info from the GS when designing my guzzler. I agree about evap with the larger trough. I decided to go with the larger one to combat rough housing by hogs (we have a ton), Aoudads and the occasional rogue long horn. It's a little more stable than a small pan. In fact, Tractor Supply sells a small pan with a protected float valve built in to it for about $32. I need to build a protector on my plumbing and float valve for the same reason.

Comment

You may want to put a piece of cattle panel over the top of trough. Narrow piece across center of trough leaving edges on both sides open. Hogs will get in the trough and mess it up. I drove t post on each end tied panel to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X